Photo

Thinking of upgrading my subs, currently running full vintage Klipsch theater.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Ricci

Ricci

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,067 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:02 PM

My comment was that sealed "may also have noticeably higher distortion", and that this statement "can be debated".  I didn't mean for people to take that as an absolute statement.

Oh, and I was also implicitly comparing sealed to horn-loaded in addition to ported.  I know a few people here have suggested that bass horn sound has a certain "quality" about it that differentiates it from other types of subs.  Why that may be the case is again a matter that could be debated.

I'd like to clarify for any lurkers that the discussion is specifically about harmonic distortion. There are various forms of distortion in a speakers reproduction though HD is often considered most important. Anyway...

Horns do seem to sound/feel different than direct radiators. Most people who've heard them tend to agree. The common wisdom seems to be that it's related to lower HD but I don't think it is, or at least that's not the whole ball of wax.

#22 dgage

dgage

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:18 PM

Thanks Ricci (though my iPad wanted to call you Rocco:)). And being a "sealed" guy all my life with the pros and cons that come with that, the horn loaded subs I've heard aren't my cup of tea but others love that sound. I guess that's why there are so many makes and models of speakers and subwoofers on the market. :)

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"

#23 mojave

mojave

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:02 PM

Ya, that's what everyones been telling me that direct radiating is always gonna be more distortion. I decided to just pull the trigger on the Orbital Shifters, placed my order last night! Lol, I'll just have to figure out how to fit them in my theater room.

I recently installed two Orbit (not Orbital  :) ) Shifters LFU's in a home theater. Within a month I heard dual Orbit Shifter LFU's, dual Captivator 4000ULF's, and dual S2's. They all are a lot of fun, but my favorite is the OS LFU. To be fair, I didn't hear enough movie clips on the 4000ULF's,

#24 shadyJ

shadyJ

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:54 AM

I'd like to clarify for any lurkers that the discussion is specifically about harmonic distortion. There are various forms of distortion in a speakers reproduction though HD is often considered most important. Anyway...

Horns do seem to sound/feel different than direct radiators. Most people who've heard them tend to agree. The common wisdom seems to be that it's related to lower HD but I don't think it is, or at least that's not the whole ball of wax.

What do you think the audible difference between horn loaded designs vs others can be attributed to, if not low HD?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users