vibe: an rpi based vibration & signal analysis app

3ll3d00d

I thought I'd point this out over here - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/2681865-rpi-based-diy-vibration-meter.html

I'm currently working on writing an app that uses an offboard accelerometer to measure triaxis vibration in order to try to get a better, more accurate, view on (what has been dubbed) tactile response. The thread on avs has details on the app(s) itself so I won't repeat that, happy to discuss it here for those who prefer db to avs though.

One reason I post it here though is because the analysis portion will actually do what we use speclab for today when it comes to analysing soundtracks, nowhere near the no of options that speclab has but then I don't think they're actually used anyway for the most part.

I plan to eventually add support for automated analysis (and playback) using something like a jriver playlist too. This is a nice sidebar for me because I find speclab an extremely irritating application to use. It wouldn't be hard to extend it to capturing from a mic though I doubt I'll get to that for a while (if I ever do... code is freely available of github though should anyone want to contribute!).

Thanks for posting about that thread here.  I had missed it.  I've replied as awediophile over there.

I actually have a more ambitious idea for why this work may be of interest here on Data Bass.  It's not just about making a better SpecLab.  Rather, I'm thinking in terms of the ability to share audio / tactile data that can be explored and viewed interactively online.  Interaction and integration are the key points.  A screen capture of a spectrogram is interesting, but the ability to zoom into the data, adjust the axis type, change the window size and color scheme, etc. would be a big plus.  Likewise, one can post an .mdat file of acoustic measurements or a screen capture from REW, but it would be much nicer to be able to interact with the data like one does in REW directly from within the web browser.

Maybe this will get Kyle's attention.  I'm kind of curious to hear more about his long term plans for this site and where he'd like to see it go if he had help.  One gotcha with offering lots of interactive stuff is the potential for server loads to go up.  I heard Kyle mention AWS for hosting, but I'm not sure Kyle is aware of the potential costs involved.  Another big question is, who would benefit from this?  Who is the target audience?  I fear there's a bit of a shortage of hardcore audio geeks out there who would care about this stuff in the first place.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived