Genelec vs Rythmik for G3 Genelec for music listening

dorland

Hello!

I am new to the community. My name is Kirill. I am from Vancouver, Canada.

I have found and read a topic on this forum discussing optimal sub woofer for HT based on Genelec active monitors.

So that I would like to ask you for opinion. I have a pair of G3 Genelec and have a plan to add subwoofer. The Goal is to create 2.1 or even 2.2 in the future but 99% for music. From my Knowledge sealed subwoofers are the best for this. Also servo control is crucial too. And a bass management involving highpass as my speakers do not have this option. So my choices are Ftwo or 7060A or higher from Genelec and Rythmik F12. Could you please share your opinion weather I would benefit with Rythmik taking into account the fact that this company produces only SUB-s. I would appreciate any of your comments and suggestions. 

It would be great to find here anyone who has heard and compared both.   

Kirill

Hello Kirill. Welcome.

I would start with some questions rather than just comparing the Rhythmic and Genelec subs. Also it is a bit more complicated than a blanket statement that sealed subs are best for critical listening. It depends a bit. The basic questions would be what is your budget that you would like to stay in? What size is the space that the sub/s will be operating in? How loud will the playback levels be? Can you find room to place two subwoofers? What size limitations would you place on the subwoofer/s?

I see that the Genelec 7060 series appears to be discontinued...The replacement 7360a is in a completely different price bracket from the Rhythmik F12.

Kirill,

No offense but you seem to be repeating common audio myths that sealed subwoofers, and especially, that you need servo controlled for quality sound. You are very close to Funk Audio, I'd recommend reaching out to them to hear their subwoofers. They aren't servo controlled but I'm sure they will blow you away with their sound quality and cabinet quality. As good as Rythmik are, there are many more successful subwoofers that may have even better sound quality (less distortion) and don't use servo control.

P.S. Welcome. We hope you stick around but you'll need to drop some of the traditional audiophile myths if you truly want to fit in and learn from some amazing minds on this board. The guys here are very nice and oh so incredibly knowledgeable.

Also, I'm not trying to push you to a more expensive sub than you may be considering but with Funk Audio so close to you, it would be worth your time to give them a listen, if for no other reason than the experience.

Thank you both for involving into disscusion. First of all I am ready to learn and absolutely open for education, comments or either critics.

Secondly I would like to explain more, at least to try. I do not have much experience with subwoofers and very unfrortunate that I am far away from technical background, I am health professional. However, as I said I happy to discuss and learn.

Questions... Room. I am renting apartment. Main room here is a combination of livingroom, diningroom and a kitchen. It is approximately 8m in long wall and 3.5m for shorter. I am expecting for monitor stands, assuming that speakers will be stay along longer wall. Quantity of subwoofers... I think two is possible, but will start with on for sure. A budget. I am thinking in advance, so I am planing to buy next fall and I think to spend up two 2000 CAD with some range beyond that. I do not think I will be able to listen a music loudly. Walls here made of wood,or panels with a space inside filled heat isolation material. This is usual here because of climate in Vancouver. So listening room is a problem. I have plans to add something on the walls and floor to decrease reverberation...

I do understand that 7060 is discontinied. Also I know that Genelec has created a special sub for my speakers which is F two. Its only 8 inch. Probably I could be happy with it, but don't know. The newer 7360 or 70 belong to smart series. These allowed to calibrate all system using software and microphone. But also I read some information about Rhytmik here. In my previous country of living I was told from different sources thet sealed are more for music and ported - for cinema. Moreover servo allows to produce better bass ( at least i was told so). As I told you level of knowledge is about of  a little nothing))).

Regards,

Hello Kirill. Welcome.

I would start with some questions rather than just comparing the Rhythmic and Genelec subs. Also it is a bit more complicated than a blanket statement that sealed subs are best for critical listening. It depends a bit. The basic questions would be what is your budget that you would like to stay in? What size is the space that the sub/s will be operating in? How loud will the playback levels be? Can you find room to place two subwoofers? What size limitations would you place on the subwoofer/s?

I see that the Genelec 7060 series appears to be discontinued...The replacement 7360a is in a completely different price bracket from the Rhythmik F12.

Kirill,

No offense but you seem to be repeating common audio myths that sealed subwoofers, and especially, that you need servo controlled for quality sound. You are very close to Funk Audio, I'd recommend reaching out to them to hear their subwoofers. They aren't servo controlled but I'm sure they will blow you away with their sound quality and cabinet quality. As good as Rythmik are, there are many more successful subwoofers that may have even better sound quality (less distortion) and don't use servo control.

P.S. Welcome. We hope you stick around but you'll need to drop some of the traditional audiophile myths if you truly want to fit in and learn from some amazing minds on this board. The guys here are very nice and oh so incredibly knowledgeable.

Also, I'm not trying to push you to a more expensive sub than you may be considering but with Funk Audio so close to you, it would be worth your time to give them a listen, if for no other reason than the experience.

Thank you for recommendation. Funk Audio looks really amazing and only 90 km from place. I will try arrange my visit there. At least for experience. But that is not an easiest step for me as I am not driver and do not have a car to get there)) Hope there is a bus route between our places. By telling there are more others subwoofers with equivalent or even beter performance you do mean something specific and in the same price range?

Kind regards

Welcome to the forum :)

You have mentioned that you are in an apartment with walls that are not very solid.  You should be aware that bass travels through most materials because low frequency sound has long wavelengths, so you may not be able to play music loudly with a subwoofer!

I have concrete and brick walls in my apartment and I have angered my neighbours when watching movies near 'Reference' level :lol:

What music do you listen to?  Electronic dance music (EDM)?  Rock music?  Classical music?  The repetitive bass beat in electronic and rock music is often annoying to other people in the same building, but Classical has less regular bass sounds and is therefore less likely to annoy people!

Welcome to the forum :)

You have mentioned that you are in an apartment with walls that are not very solid.  You should be aware that bass travels through most materials because low frequency sound has long wavelengths, so you may not be able to play music loudly with a subwoofer!

I have concrete and brick walls in my apartment and I have angered my neighbours when watching movies near 'Reference' level :lol:

What music do you listen to?  Electronic dance music (EDM)?  Rock music?  Classical music?  The repetitive bass beat in electronic and rock music is often annoying to other people in the same building, but Classical has less regular bass sounds and is therefore less likely to annoy people!

Tnank you for the question.

My favorite music is Jazz. It takes 90% of material I am Listening.

It appears that you are very close to Funk Audio. They make high quality systems using some of the best components available. They can also produce some very beautiful custom finishes in almost any shape or size you could want. I try not to recommend specific brands to people but since your are in Canada and so close to Funk it makes a lot of sense in this case.

But I will add that you are going to be in trouble being in an apartment.  As Memx mentioned, bass will follow the structure so you could easily have people down the hall or two floors away complaining about your sub.  And you can try various subwoofer isolation mechanisms but at the end of the day it is the bass waves that will travel and cause you issues with the neighbors.  This board focuses on high quality sound reproduction but we are enthusiasts and many of the systems on here are way overboard, which is the opposite of what you want in an apartment.  I joke that my subs come with an eviction notice for those in apartments or condos.  And interestingly enough, I sold a 24 to a guy in a condo and he says he can't really play it until his neighbors leave.  I am exchanging the 24 for a pair of 18s so that he can put one in the media room and one in the bedroom but he still won't be able to use a fraction of the sub's capability until the neighbors leave.

So maybe you should stick to something in the 12" size to reduce the amount of trouble you're likely to get in but a decent 12" can easily get you into trouble with your neighbors too.

And I take my recommendation back on visiting Funk Audio.  Once you experience the output capability and quality of a Funk Audio sub, you will be spoiled and you'll have to move into a house to be able to get one without getting evicted.

Thank you. I do understand the importance of my Apartment on bass)) I can't do anything with it now.

12' looks pretty attractive, isn't it? I may understand that for most of you on the forum that kind of sub would be entry level, however what can you recommend as an option of 12 inch subwoofer? It seems Funk audio manufacturing bigger ones only.

And I am still wondering if any one has heard genelec subwoofers in comparison with others ?

Thanks

Archived