Ricci's Skhorn Subwoofer & Files

Ricci

I definitely like the IPAL drivers specs better than the 18 Sound drivers. If I could buy a M drive module I would try it but I will have to stick with the lesser expensive SP plate amps. AND for my build I will make two hatch covers. One with the plate amp and one without. Most likely I would never use the hatches without the plate amp  but if I feel like pushing the limits with the higher tune I can use a bigger amp with just speakons on the other hatch.

If moving these cabinets around a lot does anyone use corner protectors?

I know Duratex is great but was curious for those that move large cabinets around a LOT. Just want to be able to beat on the exterior for a while. My cabinet probably wont move very much if any at all but I like to plan for roadies handling or UPS handling. lol

Thanks

The 18 sound drivers look good but their gap geometry appears to be nearly the same as the 9600 or 9000 series. The B&C stuff has a taller top plate (18mm on the 21) and a longer coil wind from what I can tell. The result is quite a bit more xmax. The 21Ipal coil has a 15mm overhang and doesn't leave the gap completely until 33mm. The 18 sound ID drivers are likely closer to a 10mm overhang and leaving the gap at 22mm.

You can install corner protectors, skid plates, wheels, pole mount, etc. Whatever you want to do.

Thanks Ricci. I only asked about the protection because I wondered what everyone else uses when moving things around a lot. I have never done pro audio but others like yourself might know what works and what is a waste.

I remember you telling us about the 21ID speaker before when comparing it to the IPAL. Amazingly enough the IPAL price for me has come down a bit. Not a huge difference but enough. The 18IPAL went from 989 to 670 for me. Not saying I will be using IPAL at all but I was happy to see pricing getting cheaper. Making a 4ohm 50 batch would be nice. Although I dont know if there are enough of us to cover 50. I order through my local dealer and get thing sea freighted for free. So not sure if I ever could be a part of the deal. Its a nice thought either way.

• 2 weeks later...

I really have to know what those drivers are made of, cause I can get them at a hell of a good price but there has to be somewhere it doesn't perform as well as the 152. I can't wait to see what this sub is capable of also.

I don't know yet but we will by this summer. I'm going to guess that the DS driver has slightly worse distortion and a bit more thermal compression. I'm also going to guess that it has just a bit more useful displacement. Once those start showing up at all the major B&C vendors I wouldn't be surprised to see street prices below $500. Perhaps well below.

The street price for me on the SW152 went up but 30%. SO I am interested in seeing what these drivers will be in about 6 months. BUT after simulating the 2ohm SW152 Bennet posted I am also curious about that model. It does very similar numbers to the IPAL but needs less watts to hit that spl. While it may not be an option because of the 50 piece batch minimum it still looks great in sims. UH21v1 looks great also but needs a Fp14K to hit 3/4 Xmax. AND it does cost a lot more money.

2ohm has a 25hz 4th Hpass and 120hz 4th Lpass. 9000watts

IPAL has a 26hz 4th Hpass and 120hz  4th Lpass. 11000watts

Screen%20Shot%2002-04-17%20at%2010.36%20

UH21v1 needs 14000 to hit 26mm for around the same SPL also. So the BC drivers look to be a better match sensitivity wise.

deeper is always better obviously :) it sounds like I'm being deliberately obtuse but I'm not, honest!

Basically my approach here is model some stuff, see what can be achieved, compare to what can physically fit in my room, compare to what I have already and see whether that is something that makes sense as part of the system, repeat until I find one or more interesting things to build. This means that, atm, I'm asking "what can be built using this approach with 10-12" drivers?" rather than "I want something that can do 110dB at 25Hz" (or whatever).

Hey Ricci

Huge fan of your work and wondered if you could drop me an email  as we are from bonny  Scotland and would love to build 8 of these. 

http://www.facebook.com/electrikalsoundsystem

12465945_1483623308322855_43358011972490

Hey Richard...Welcome to the forum. I've sent you my email in a PM so we can discuss. I also edited your email out of your post. You don't want that floating around THAT publicly. ;)  

That's quite the setup you've got there. Looks fun. 16 18" scoops, kick bins and 3 way horn loaded mains? What is going on in the kick bins? Double 15's? I kind of like the blue offset against the wood finish by the way.

In other news it looks like my cabs are about to ship from dsl1's shop. Now I just need the weather to hurry up and warm up.

deeper is always better obviously :) it sounds like I'm being deliberately obtuse but I'm not, honest!

Basically my approach here is model some stuff, see what can be achieved, compare to what can physically fit in my room, compare to what I have already and see whether that is something that makes sense as part of the system, repeat until I find one or more interesting things to build. This means that, atm, I'm asking "what can be built using this approach with 10-12" drivers?" rather than "I want something that can do 110dB at 25Hz" (or whatever).

I didn't forget about this I just haven't had a lot of time to look at the options yet. There are some 10 and 12" drivers that look workable in this type of cab but I haven't gotten to the point of getting into details or comparing against other cab types the same size.

• Like 1

Hey Richard...Welcome to the forum. I've sent you my email in a PM so we can discuss. I also edited your email out of your post. You don't want that floating around THAT publicly. ;)  

That's quite the setup you've got there. Looks fun. 16 18" scoops, kick bins and 3 way horn loaded mains? What is going on in the kick bins? Double 15's? I kind of like the blue offset against the wood finish by the way.

Cool setup Richard! Guessing the kickbins are a cut in half variant of the USB's with 18s? 

Curious about your mains, it's on the list to build at some point. Ricci, what do you use for PA mains?

Weather looks beautiful next week too, measurements!!!

Haha!

I have a couple of days worth of crap to do to them in the garage first! Need to break in the 21DS115's more. Load the Ipals, wiring, impedance measurements, pull parameters from the DS115's, maybe mess with some close mic measurements while I'm at it. Might see what a bit of 2.5" thick mattress foam around the driver does. Also mess with the vent tunings and figure out what the HPF's need to be for the wide open testing, Etc...Don't worry I'll get there.

• Like 1