Ricci's Skhorn Subwoofer & Files

Ricci

Technically, 4-6KW burst RMS sounds pretty good for high powered drivers, as long as they're not like 10dB into power compression at that point. I'm in the process of designing and building new subs and will be testing them extensively with thermal sensors and in regard to power compression. They're a bit different from the Skram/Skhorn, but use 21ds115's, so the results might be interesting here as well.

On a different note, my Skhorn has been sitting in the basement unused for 2 years and I'm not sure if it'll see any use any time soon, it's a bit sad.

36 minutes ago, peniku8 said:

On a different note, my Skhorn has been sitting in the basement unused for 2 years and I'm not sure if it'll see any use any time soon, it's a bit sad.

Tragic! I'd take it off your hands, but shipping across the pond is probably a bit expensive. 

7 hours ago, kipman725 said:

The thermal sensors sound interesting I have thought about adding 1 wire temp sensors to the magnets of our speakers but am a bit stuck for low cost gas tight connectors and cabling and also how to attach the sensors to the magnets. 

Technically, you'd use the thermocouple to set limiters and then remove it after that's done, so the simple tape approach would be sufficient. If you want something permanent, you could use thermal epoxy. As for connectors, well, I know that the NL4 MPRXX is air tight, why not use two connectors for the sub and two for the sensor?

I was trying to avoid audio connectors so that the wrong cable didn't get plugged in. 

We are building 8 Skrams at the moment with B&C 21SW152.  I notice the suspension is super stiff out the box on these drivers but finding the space to do any kind of free air break in is a challenge while also building the subs.  Does anyone see an issue performing break in with the driver mounted in the subs and the hatch removed?  also failing that I guess break in is actualy not that important and will occour with usage?

4 hours ago, kipman725 said:

I was trying to avoid audio connectors so that the wrong cable didn't get plugged in. 

We are building 8 Skrams at the moment with B&C 21SW152.  I notice the suspension is super stiff out the box on these drivers but finding the space to do any kind of free air break in is a challenge while also building the subs.  Does anyone see an issue performing break in with the driver mounted in the subs and the hatch removed?  also failing that I guess break in is actualy not that important and will occour with usage?

should be fine since the horn loading isn't a high-pressure loading so it should almost behave like in free-air

just take an impedance sweep, set the sine wave to the resonance and give'er

should be good to go after a few minutes near Xmax

and yes, it'll occur with usage, but you'll have to do a few gigs before you can set up the system properly with measurements n stuff, because calibrating the system with subs that'll be slightly different each gig doesn't make much sense

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

After reading so many convincing posts and measurements about Ricci’s Skhorn, it was only a question of time until I desperately want to have one of these.

I already have two Eminence NSW6021-6, each one running in a self-made 200L ported enclosure and each one driven by a bridged FP14000 clone. The enclosures work, but I am convinced that the drivers are running far below their potential and I’m also not really satisfied with the sound characteristics.

Meanwhile I was lucky to find a nearby CNC shop in Germany willing to build one for me. They asked for metric version measurements and I found a pdf with metric drawings in the original post. After a closer look it turned out that these drawings provided by Robin Mahler (peniku8) were created for building without CNC and contain various design changes.

I really like the design change to build the braces in one piece and with holes as done by dsl1 for his CNC version.

@dsl1: from all versions I have seen so far, yours is the one I like best. May I kindly ask you to share your files, knowing that my local CNC shop might still have to do some adjustments to consider material and cnc setup.

Or is there anyone who already built a Skhorn with CNC and metric sizes?

3 minutes ago, Bionico said:

After reading so many convincing posts and measurements about Ricci’s Skhorn, it was only a question of time until I desperately want to have one of these.

I already have two Eminence NSW6021-6, each one running in a self-made 200L ported enclosure and each one driven by a bridged FP14000 clone. The enclosures work, but I am convinced that the drivers are running far below their potential and I’m also not really satisfied with the sound characteristics.

Meanwhile I was lucky to find a nearby CNC shop in Germany willing to build one for me. They asked for metric version measurements and I found a pdf with metric drawings in the original post. After a closer look it turned out that these drawings provided by Robin Mahler (peniku8) were created for building without CNC and contain various design changes.

I really like the design change to build the braces in one piece and with holes as done by dsl1 for his CNC version.

@dsl1: from all versions I have seen so far, yours is the one I like best. May I kindly ask you to share your files, knowing that my local CNC shop might still have to do some adjustments to consider material and cnc setup.

Or is there anyone who already built a Skhorn with CNC and metric sizes?

Wait, you're in Germany? I'm selling my Skhorn, without the drivers. I'm in Germany too, hit me up if you want it

6 hours ago, peniku8 said:

Wait, you're in Germany? I'm selling my Skhorn, without the drivers. I'm in Germany too, hit me up if you want it

Hi Robin,

I already noticed last week that you are selling yours and I also knew this customized copy from your making of documentations in the AVS forum. It’s a really nice piece of work and the customized look fits to your other components.

I first considered your enclosure as an option, but finally realized there are just too many mismatching points for me:

-          I really like the look of the integrated handles on the sides, the top and the bottom. I fully understand they were omitted when not using CNC

-          The vinyl painting wouldn’t fit for me and I have no experience in removing it for a repainting

-          My Eminence NSW-6021-6 have a smaller Bolt Circle Diameter and a smaller Baffle Cutout Diameter than your previously owned B&C 21DS115

Beside transportation costs from Saarland to Hamburg at least the latest point on the previous list is a knock out criteria.

7 hours ago, klipsch said:

There will be a substantial cost for the CAD and CAM of the CNC shop. That takes hours of time. 

In fact they estimated quite some hours for final modifications in the dxf file and preparations and gave me a rough estimate for the machine hour costs. I’m currently waiting for a more detailed calculation.

Even though the dxf will be adapted and customized anyway, it makes sense to me to start these modifications based from the best matching existing dxf.

17 hours ago, Bionico said:

Hi Robin,

I already noticed last week that you are selling yours and I also knew this customized copy from your making of documentations in the AVS forum. It’s a really nice piece of work and the customized look fits to your other components.

I first considered your enclosure as an option, but finally realized there are just too many mismatching points for me:

-          I really like the look of the integrated handles on the sides, the top and the bottom. I fully understand they were omitted when not using CNC

-          The vinyl painting wouldn’t fit for me and I have no experience in removing it for a repainting

-          My Eminence NSW-6021-6 have a smaller Bolt Circle Diameter and a smaller Baffle Cutout Diameter than your previously owned B&C 21DS115

Beside transportation costs from Saarland to Hamburg at least the latest point on the previous list is a knock out criteria.

I mean, these are all problems that can be solved. If you pay me a bit extra I'll modify the cab to your liking and then you can compare my price to the CNC quote you get ;) Shipping would be around 100€, looking at a quick google search. I would just prefer to not have to paint it (the vinyl wrap can just be ripped off). But you'll have to get yours painted too, so either way you'll have to figure that out.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...