JTR Captivator 4000-ULF discussion

Ricci

Good job Mr. Ricci!

Were the CEA-2010 Max Burst numbers taken with the LF adjust at minimum or at the maximum?

Data-bass says that "The 4000-ULF was run with the LF adjust at minimum for the rest of the measurements because this is closer to the native response with the least amount of boosting to the low frequencies."

So my understand is that the CEA-2010 Max Burst numbers were taken with LF adjust at 'minimum'. Therefore, with LF adjust at maximum, the CEA-2010 Max Burst numbers should be even higher!

The LF adjust looks to be a kind of filter. Any filter loses its effect with a strong enough input signal, so I doubt that any change in it would have affected the CEA-2010 burst measurements. The only thing that would have changed is the CEA-2010 maximum burst measurements would have been reached sooner in the testing. 

Luke,

The Captivator S2 drivers are apparently not the same. I assumed they were but Jeff said they are different.

So my understand is that the CEA-2010 Max Burst numbers were taken with LF adjust at 'minimum'. Therefore, with LF adjust at maximum, the CEA-2010 Max Burst numbers should be even higher!

That is not how it works. The LF adjust or other forms of EQ do not affect the maximum output achievable.

Good job Mr. Ricci!

Were the CEA-2010 Max Burst numbers taken with the LF adjust at minimum or at the maximum?

Data-bass says that "The 4000-ULF was run with the LF adjust at minimum for the rest of the measurements because this is closer to the native response with the least amount of boosting to the low frequencies."

Doesn't work like that. CEA Max Burst is based off the total system displacement and affected by short term compression effects. EQ has no bearing at all on Max Burst numbers.

For example: if you were to compare the Stereo Integrity HS24 (DIY enclosure) to the DSS Mariana 24 (with it's own EQ set) you would still get identical Max Burst as they are both sealed systems with the same driver. You could alter the numbers by comparing the sealed system with a resonant system with the same driver and then the Max Burst would then change as the enclosure and vent system would provide further performance in addition to just the driver by itself.

Really shows the output/size advantage in ported subwoofers over folded horns. The OS-LFU wins in efficiency and top end to no one's surprise, but a WHOLE OCTAVE of extra low end extension in a slighty smaller package? I'll bet the folks at JTR are justifiably bragging about this one!

I don't think bragging is the right word but we are very happy with the results. The OS does have much topend with only one 18" driver however the more complex cabinet offsets most of the costs of a second driver.

Doesn't work like that. CEA Max Burst is based off the total system displacement and affected by short term compression effects. EQ has no bearing at all on Max Burst numbers.

For example: if you were to compare the Stereo Integrity HS24 (DIY enclosure) to the DSS Mariana 24 (with it's own EQ set) you would still get identical Max Burst as they are both sealed systems with the same driver. You could alter the numbers by comparing the sealed system with a resonant system with the same driver and then the Max Burst would then change as the enclosure and vent system would provide further performance in addition to just the driver by itself.

Actually, the Mariana 24 would have much less output on the bottomend due to the much small enclosure. Plus, the SP1-4000 operates with 110 volt rails.

Josh, does this sub use 3 or 4" coils in the drivers?

We decided on the 3" coil because of the lower moving mass, lower inductance and increase Xmech.

I don't think bragging is the right word but we are very happy with the results. The OS does have much topend with only one 18" driver however the more complex cabinet offsets most of the costs of a second driver.

Actually, the Mariana 24 would have much less output on the bottomend due to the much small enclosure. Plus, the SP1-4000 operates with 110 volt rails.

We decided on the 3" coil because of the lower moving mass, lower inductance and increase Xmech.

Looks like a solid driver Jeff. I'm especially pleased to see a good new ported performer on the market. Ported subs have tended to get overshadowed by horns these days.

First, congrats on another high-performing and nice subwoofer Jeff. You definitely have another winner.

Regarding the Mariana 24, this is one reason Nick and I collaborated on the mkII drivers, to provide more motor force and work better in the smaller DSS enclosures.

• 4 weeks later...

So, when are your subwoofers going to be tested?

Good question.  It is on my list but I've had too much on my plate and it looks like I'm going to miss testing season with Josh so likely in the spring, which should allow me to expand enough to handle a theoretical increase in business due to a couple of reviews.  

Good question.  It is on my list but I've had too much on my plate and it looks like I'm going to miss testing season with Josh so likely in the spring, which should allow me to expand enough to handle a theoretical increase in business due to a couple of reviews.  

What's this 24" you got?

• 1 year later...

Archived