106 replies to this topic

#101 lowerFE

lowerFE

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:39 AM

Wrapping up! Pictures don't do justice, but there it is!

20170515_004811_zpsolilq20z.jpg

20170515_004905_zpsheus250j.jpg

20170515_005021_zpsxcy0ehrl.jpg

20170515_004655_zpsb8dtpxk7.jpg

20170515_004826_zpsabmvqs0n.jpg

20170515_004928_zpsefexkjol.jpg

• lukeamdman, SME, dgage and 2 others like this

#102 SME

SME

Super Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:18 PM

Wow!  Great finish.

#103 Ricci

Ricci

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:18 PM

That looks really good man. Thumbs up on this. Now comes weeks of messing with DSP programming eh?

#104 lowerFE

lowerFE

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:15 PM

That looks really good man. Thumbs up on this. Now comes weeks of messing with DSP programming eh?

Thank you! And yes, lots of DSP tinkering and measurements next. I'm trying to find good spaces to do measurements, and that's proven to be difficult. There is an outdoor parking lot which is great for ground plane measurement, but the asphalt surfaces ruins the measurement accuracy above 500Hz or so. Measuring at an indoor basketball court is fantastic, but they are really reluctant to let me use it, and when they do, it is at most for 1.5 hours, which isn't much time at all. I only have 3 hours worth of booking time lined up, and I need a lot more than that, especially for cardioid experimentations. 

#105 mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:06 PM

Nice work!
Ground plane. Get friendly with some pieces of plywood and duct tape. Place them on the pavement and tape the joints. Two sheets will allow you a 2 meter measurement distance all around your box.

There is no such thing as foolproof.  They keep making better fools!

http://www.kravchenko-audio.com

#106 dgage

dgage

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:29 AM

Or dig a hole in your yard or a field. That's what I have planned when I work on some speakers. Either that or rent a boom lift for a weekend.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"

#107 lowerFE

lowerFE

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:44 AM

Nice work!
Ground plane. Get friendly with some pieces of plywood and duct tape. Place them on the pavement and tape the joints. Two sheets will allow you a 2 meter measurement distance all around your box.

I might do that, but that'll be the last resort. The issue is that the noise floor is too high, especially when measuring the rear response for cardioid experimentations. The parking lot I'm using has a few cars driving by every minute, so I'm always crossing my fingers hoping no cars come driving by when I'm doing a sweep  :D

Or dig a hole in your yard or a field. That's what I have planned when I work on some speakers. Either that or rent a boom lift for a weekend.

Now that's extreme! This will work for speaker measurements, but I have found that when I measure in my front yard my house actually acts as a wall and I can see a dip in the bass region caused by the reflection of the house. 

Good to hear you're going to do speakers! I think you'll find them to be just a little more complicated than sealed subs  :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users