82 replies to this topic

#81 lowerFE

lowerFE

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:18 AM

Actually what am I saying, JRiver can be made to work with everything in Windows and accept an input, just like what I said earlier. Downloaded the trial. It looks like there's some serious DSP functionality there. Why didn't I at least check this out before brushing it off a few years ago??? 

OK, time to go back to PC DSP. I have a spare MacBook Pro that is perfect for this task. No need to even spend $500 on an Intel NUC, although I kinda want one just because they look slick. But then, a MacBook setup might look slicker since it looks like the external USB sound card is the only piece of equipment powering the speakers. I'm gonna do this at least until I get a Sharc DSP working, which might take some time. Even then a PC would be useful for experimentation since it takes VST plugins. 

I like where this is going! I was dreading the huge wiring mess from having 4 miniDSP's and the potential for time sync issues. 

Only thing is there is exactly one 7.1 USB sound card on the market I can use, the Asus Xonar U7. I wish there were a few more choices. I'm not a DAC guy or anything, but I kinda wished it had an optical input so I can avoid 2 unnecessary DAC and ADC steps for the input I want to use. Apparently it doesn't work well with Windows 10 as well. 

#82 lowerFE

lowerFE

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:07 AM

Little look at the extreme effort my friend is putting in to help make this speaker happen. The midrange chamber is made from 3/16" ABS. The first couple of videos show the tool being cut and the last two videos show the part being formed and trimmed.

2hgtibl.jpg

#83 lowerFE

lowerFE

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:25 PM

I know this is taking a long time, but bare with me. It's going to be glorious when it is done! 

I was told of a place called Audio Technology that can make a custom driver for me (and burn a $1500 hole in my wallet). Any recommendations on the T/S parameters? It'll be a variation of this woofer. 

http://www.audiotech...p?id=4|a|122|||

So far the woofer is going to have a 2" voice coil, 15mm voice coil height, 6mm magnetic gap height, 110mm x 20mm magnet. The T/S parameter is as follows. 

Fs              29,7Hz
Vas             30Liter
Qms           4,29
Qes            0,27
Qts             0,26
Re              3,6Ohm
SPL             86,5dB (90 dB @ 2,83 Volt)

The stock driver is a better sounding driver than the Wavecor. With these parameters it should keep the same high efficiency as the Wavecor while greatly improving on power handling (2" VC vs 1.25", larger magnet) and a much lower Fs. 

Any thoughts or suggestions?

On other progresses. The cabinet is almost done, just need to finish them. I switched from miniDSP to JRiver as my DSP for active crossover. JRiver is a pain to work with, but when all the kinks are ironed out, it will be far better than a miniDSP system. Having VST plugins will allow me to go crazy with psychoacoustic optimizations. First thing on the list is MaxxBass. I'll be using that to generate the harmonics for content below 35Hz at all volumes and content below 70Hz or so after the speaker reaches their limits. So as the volume goes up, the speaker will produce real bass all the way to its limits, and if the volume goes up even higher, then harmonics will fill in. This should be fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users