ZOD Audio M.A.U.L. Test Results and Discussion

Contrasseur

Dear God what is this monster?? Some kind of belated April Fools joke?

Flat response FLH! I've been toying with this alignment for a while, just messing with sims to see what pretty results come out. I used high compression ratios and stupid strong motors. I can't wait to see what drives this thing! The distortion profile is unbelievable. Virtually no output compression besides a blip at 15Hz?

And holy hell that performance?? Just smashes everything else yet tested. It's also the largest, but it looks very well optimized! Even output per liter looks exceptional. This horn is long enough to provide loading down to 15Hz but wide enough to handle 4 18"s?

Simply unreal.

post-4069-0-17139000-1468459994_thumb.png

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha. Nah. Part of the goal was to not ever worry about thermal limits or driver excursion limits. Never even used a high pass. Looks like one isn't needed if the k20 can't get there. I have a lot more to post on it but I'm heading out of town to see family this weekend so it'll be a few days. Recommended amplification is come at me bro.

Awesome B)

That with some room gain should pretty much do it :lol:  lol

I thought that it seemed pretty compact for that output, those drivers and being a horn.  20-large, though?  Not cheap! :o

How the hell did you move it, Josh?  lol

Awesome B)

That with some room gain should pretty much do it :lol:  lol

I thought that it seemed pretty compact for that output, those drivers and being a horn.  20-large, though?  Not cheap! :o

How the hell did you move it, Josh?  lol

He pointed it downward and it walked itself across the field  :wacko:

Haha. Nah. Part of the goal was to not ever worry about thermal limits or driver excursion limits. Never even used a high pass. Looks like one isn't needed if the k20 can't get there. I have a lot more to post on it but I'm heading out of town to see family this weekend so it'll be a few days. Recommended amplification is..

come+at+us+bro+nerdparty.gif

This this is a more appropriate way to express the amplification needs lol..

Actual cost for me including an amp is about a third of what I listed. That was more of a MSRP if it was an actual product to be sold. Still eye gougingly expensive and utterly impractical no doubt. The fun factor is rather high though.

Actual cost for me including an amp is about a third of what I listed. That was more of a MSRP if it was an actual product to be sold. Still eye gougingly expensive and utterly impractical no doubt. The fun factor is rather high though.

Just another example of SPL drag racing dominating this forum ;)  :P  :D

I've been trying to simulate anything that could perform at this level and they're all coming out 3dB too low on the sensitivity for the same size cabinet. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I have no idea how you did it. I gotta hand it to you, this is one monster of a horn.

As for impractical? Not much more than Danley's TH812, BC218 and others.

I've been trying to simulate anything that could perform at this level and they're all coming out 3dB too low on the sensitivity for the same size cabinet. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I have no idea how you did it. I gotta hand it to you, this is one monster of a horn.

As for impractical? Not much more than Danley's TH812, BC218 and others.

Yep, Im lookin to find a spot to fit one of the TH221's in my room in the near future.... Just call it day after that.

The 2 cabs that were made are going into my PA / stereo at the warehouse, into the spot that the GH's used to occupy. Still got the DO sealed system at the house. No plans for any changes to the LFE channel there for a LONG time. I couldn't fit anything like this in my HT room.

Err, been meaning to say something here.  This is fantastic!  Congrats again.  Did you mention what drivers you used, or is that a proprietary secret?  ;)

In any case, those would seem to be capable of providing ULF support for large outdoor shows and movie presentations.  I wonder what chance in hell there would be of convincing whoever purchase equipment for the Red Rocks Amphitheater venue in my area that they need a commission like eight of those.  I'm sure their movie nights would be a real hit!  Of course, I'd love to hear an array-able like the Synergy horn system there as well.  It is often windy there.

Archived