My new Atmos room

MKtheater

I did not know where to post this so I will just start a thread. I just got back from vacation and finally got pics. My panels are all DIY using denim and Ecose. The fabric is from ATS. The bass traps are 6 inches thick and the walls are all 4 inches. The ceiling are 2 inches. All of them are open back leaving a space to trap on both sides. My system is all behringer including the amps. Marantz processor running the show. What you can't see are the back subs which each bank of 215s and bass traps are sitting on. They are dual ported 18s. Actually all subs are the same, dual SI 18HT with dual ports.

IMG_89241_zps3xm6ovzd.jpg

IMG_89211_zpsaws8x5sj.jpg

IMG_89221_zps4dh8o4ug.jpg

IMG_89231_zpsdqkieslj.jpg

IMG_89251_zpsr28y9y4w.jpg

IMG_89261_zpsimpebxn5.jpg

IMG_89271_zpsmwang8ap.jpg

IMG_89281_zps5xwxhs9b.jpg

IMG_89291_zps0ywsrnii.jpg

It was an experiment, they are tuned to 7.xx hz in WinIsd but go to 4hz in room.  It was like adding an LT without amp power but my enclosures were massive enough to try.  I first tried it with my Fi IB3-18 drivers but they need to be sealed.

Here is a scene with them

capt1603010357_zpsoathd8i8.jpg

Not bad, James. You really need taller ceilings now. :D

Is there any way you can push the side surrounds forward? The angle from side to rear is so small to be meaningless. You'll get WAY better wrap-around surround (and wide speaker phantom imaging) if you did that.

The layout should be more like this: DTSX_SpeakerLayouts_2015-09-23-POST76_00

Ah, okay.

Sorry to rain on your parade, James but this is a rather compromised layout. You've got the decoding and more speakers but no meaningful separation from where these sounds are supposed to originate from. Essentially everything that is side, rear and rear height is all coming from the same direction.

Scott, my whole room is a compromise, the speakers are too big and too many subs LOL.  You can clearly hear the separation still and sounds better than anything so far. I had to place speakers where everyone won't hit their head as well. 

He could do the layout right if only he used some decent speakers like these:

717JwBgo3qL._SL1500_.jpg

I actually have a DSP setting in my subs to integrate with the Bose Acoustimass system properly. I usually don't recommend playing a sub up to 150Hz but that was the only way to make them sound good. Lol!

I cross at 120 hz to my subs as that is the smoothest response and the mid bass is awesome from the subs. When I sit in the middle seat my height speakers are 9 feet away in every location and the surrounds are 7-8 feet. There is good separation from them all. You can clearly hear the wrap around effect going in a circle. I actually had the 215s mounted in front of the seats at first but it just did not have that much better separation and they were in the way. This way the separation is nearly as good and they are out of the way.

I love trying things new toys. Max, if I could find someone to build me passive crossovers for DR-200's I would build them. I really like the simplicity of processor, amp, speaker with no EQ and letting the room do its thing. My room has the lowest noise floor ever with less in the chain. I hear zero noise at the horn when everything is on and set to reference. I would love to get Dr-200s with horns. I replaced the DR-250s with a DIY JBL speaker and then to the Berries. The reason was smoother sound but it has to do with crossovers. The DR speakers are still the most dynamic speaker I have heard to date and if I could soften the sound a bit my perfect speaker for cinema. Can anyone build a proper crossover to give a flat response at 1 meter? I also sealed up the baffle wall by building a huge enclosure to separate the speakers from the subs and the DR-250s no longer will fit. Why I mention the 200s. Porting the IB is just stupid crazy but I love it.

Here's an up-vote for the Sentinel.  The SEOS-15 and DNA-360 are fantastic.

Of course, I just recently discovered that it sounds even smoother if you can notch out the break-up at 17 kHz, which may be hard to do with a passive circuit.  You always have to compromise somewhere.

I did own the Fusion pure 10 and many other speakers before. I am just not sure it will be that much of a difference for a room like mine. The pure 10 and tempest were on the radar due to a built crossover. I am pretty good at hooking up wires lol. The pure 10s were better than the Sho-10s IMHO but the differences were not huge. I know for sure if I ever tear the wall down and start over I would buy 4722s and spread them out to the corners of the room and build the subs around them. Maybe 1299's too. I could actually fit those now but I don't like putting crossovers together. If there are DSP settings for them I could get an DSP amp to power them like the M2. I just think right now the size of the berries are really working in my space. If I hear a better front stage in the same space I would change that day like I always do.

I thought you could pay extra to get an assembled crossover from diysg, but I don't see that option on the 1299s or fusion 15s.  I wonder if that service is no longer available? 

Admittedly, I haven't heard any SEOS speakers other than the ones I designed a built myself, so I don't know how the different DIYSG designs sound.  I do believe that designs based on that horn have huge potential to sound great if done well.  Honestly, I think speakers based on those horns are among the best available for home use, period.  They are truly cutting edge.  As for whether they'll makes a difference in your space?  I dunno, but the response I see in my measurement is incredibly smooth both on and off axis.  My ears agree with what the measurements have to say in that they are very detailed.

The 1299 sounds like a great choice, and just knowing how well the SEOS horn performs, I'd place my bet on them sounding better than the 4722s.

I remember reading about your system on avsforum, and what I find interesting is the path leading to todays solution, where lots of different speakers have been tried, also some of the more expensive ones.

Without knowing the background, new readers may think that here is someone who just bought the least expensive pa speakers he could find.

But here we have someone who actually tested and compared different speakers, with less regard to price and "audiophile" reputation, by listening to them, paying attention to the sound alone. 

There is something to learn from this story.

It shows what works in my room.  I have owned speakers with parts costing 10x the whole Behringer speaker.  I also went through many audiophile higher end amps and processors as well.  As for HT the whole is better than the parts and integrating into the room is the biggest factor IMHO.  I don't care how good a single speaker is, will the damn thing work in your space for whatever reason.  The Behringer has been measured and shows to be very good on axis to about 35 degrees and then starts getting peaky at the crossover.  My treatments no doubt take care of those and makes them not harsh at all.  Since owning the Pure 10 I knew from that day I loved the SEOS and DNA-205 combo as it was very smooth and detailed. The whole speaker just did not have the chops to take over what I already owned but knew a 15 inch version just might.  Before I took the plunge on them I tried these cheap Berries and sure enough it reminded me of the SEOS sound but bigger and more dynamic.  I have no doubt the sentinel will be a better sounding speaker but how much and if audible during movies is the question.  Many have told me who heard both says the difference is not big enough for me to change.  I probably will get a center to find out myself. 

Archived