Sound Design: Michael Fentum

Mixing: Paul Massey, Mark Taylor, Dafydd Archard

Level - 3 Stars (109.29dB composite)

Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (33.46dB)

Execution - TBA

Overall - TBA

2b5146d29d12d182da7af61affd21c8d.jpg

Ridley Scott's newest Sci-Fi soundtrack is a lot like Prometheus in that the bass is restrained and often subtle, but unlike Prometheus it makes up for it's low level with some semi strong ULF rumbles down in the 10Hz region.  These rumbles appear to be deliberately placed as they accompany most of the 'uncomfortable' scenes in the movie (such as when Matt Damon operates on himself).  Most of the 'big' effects (such as they are) are full bandwidth and extend all the way into single digits (a rocket launch near the end of the movie is almost flat from 40 Hz down to 1 Hz).  No clipping on any channel and the dynamic range is pretty good, so if the low level is an issue, just bump your sub by a few dB.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Those charts and numbers look good to me.  My Crowson will be happy  :D.  I also wonder about the directors cut.  I have read conflicting reports and and I have heard an interview with Ridley where he talks about what might have been in a directors cut.  But I couldn't gauge whether he had a preferred longer cut or this one was the one he liked.  He said that it added about 20min to the current film which would put it right abut 3 hours.  I may wait a bit and see if that happens. I thought the movie was really great.  

With that impressive Dynamics score, effects that are loud seem even louder and more powerful.  Non-Stop, dynamically compressed and clipped action films have not figured out that if everything is loud, nothing will have any great, impressive effect.

JSS

I enjoyed this movie. Thought it was quite good. Just a little far fetched there at the end but hey it's Hollywood. I wish they had put just a bit more overall level on the rocket launches, but other than that I thought this had a quality mix all around.

• 1 month later...

Finally sat down to watch The Martian last night - pretty good, I thought, cinematography- and audio-wise :)

I agree with this comment:

The sound was so good it didn't draw your attention. That's a good thing.

It was really nicely done and the kick from the sudden events had a lot more kick than usual due to the fact the dynamics are so good.

I'm missing the 10Hz stuff I think - really must find the time to faff with this EQing and getting the miniDSP in... .

• 1 month later...

This was absolutely first rate.  The bass was very well done, IMO.  In fact, I'd say this is my favorite bass movie for a long time.  I don't care if it didn't get loud (rocket launches, notwithstanding).  It had a quality of realism that very few movies give.  The sound design was excellent.  So was the score.  The use of bass in ambiance was a big highlight.  I'm sure this one will be very special to re-watch when I get my new subs.

Five stars.  (It got dinged in the "level" department already for the lack of oomph in the rocket launch scenes.)

• 1 month later...

Archived