(8) Sealed Incriminator Audio Judge 21" build

lukeamdman

I have found that the best way to integrate the Crowsons is to playback material you know real well and adjust.  For instance, I use music I know well, and some movie scenes.  I settled on an LR2, 100Hz lowpass for my Crowsons with no house curve; my subs run now with zero added LT/boost to make their rolloff flatter.  You would think that with that high a lowpass, many things in music will get through to the Crowsons, but in reality, only stuff encoded hot below 40Hz really gets gets through, as you are already at -3dB at 59Hz and rolling off fast.  Kick drums are not felt through the Crowsons on most material at sane levels (up to about -5dBRef), unless you turn up the amp driving the Crowsons.  

The best movie scenes for adjusting the level of the Crowsons are ones with ~20Hz content you know well, as they will really let you dial in the tactile level that matches a flat subwoofer curve, and adjust from there to taste; it can get pretty wild before overdriving the Crowson units.

Without LT'ing the hell out of the subs like I used to, I get headroom I never had before, midbass slam is improved, and the tactile effects are still there.  Compared to spending $$$ to double my subwoofer system (which I was planning to do), the Crowsons seem like a relatively good deal, and feel more 'real' than nearfield subs did...hard to explain.

JSS

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you want to measure it then there is quite a bit of info in the VS thread on avs, band limited white noise generated by REW is a good way to verify what the response looks like. I use a separate accelerometer and decided to target the ISO 2631 isoperception acceleration curve the last time I tweaked that side of things (near field sub only rather than crowson but same principles apply), some detail in http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2118090-vibsensor-accelerometer-test-thread-post47946889.html#post47946889. If you use VS then that equates to a gently rising with frequency PSD curve when using 0-50Hz white noise as a test signal

I think this has worked really well to produce something that has no negative sq impact and feels right.

• 1 month later...
Well boys, I think this is the absolute limit of the system:

147db_zpsfuiuytbc.png

All ten 21s were going bonkers, and all three SP2-12000 amps were clipping. The Othorns were scooting around even though they're on a rubber mat. This also popped one of the covers off one of my lights. This was only for a few seconds but it was hard to see and breath.

I hope you were wearing hearing protection!!

Sounds like a pretty insane experience in a house lol

Did you check around the place for any unintended damage?

I had a few of the kids camp out in the kitchen upstairs to keep things from falling off the counter tops  :D

Archived