Questions about othorn,keystone, Xoc1 th18, DSL118 and others

radulescu_paul_mircea

The BC218 was presented at frankfurt this year and I listened to it in the first 2 days. Unfortunately I wasn't so pleased about them (there were 2 in full moon config) because probably the limitters were not set properly and they were cutting their power to soon.they had the first kick very powerfull but the drop was weak. In the second say, things were better but I know how 6 dual 18 like qsc GP218 sounds and those BC should have beat the crap out of them but they just didn't. I told the boys from Italy my oppinion then but I leaved after second day and didn't managed to listen again. But from what I heard from others after that they did do something because many were impressed of them. Everybody said it was LOUD and DEEP!!! I listened after that the Icubus from Void and 2 stacks with 6 21" +8*15+4*12 can shake the teeth out of your mouth from 40 hz up :))

If you use the Direct program from Danley and set it to continous you can see what those subs are really capable of. Set a mic in the sim at 10 meters and play with them and see the response on the graph. There are real repetable real world measurements. And for the speakers you can use Program setting because they can go a bit higher than continous setting shows

• 1 month later...

I turned the subs upside down on their wall brackets and I managed to get rid of that large peak.

I will soon build a pair of Othorns or maybe Palehorns :-P with 18Sounds 21ID using the Ipal Mod and also a K10 to compare the output. I wanted to build them with 21Ipal but I will get these for free to test them for a year ;) so I can't complain...

Yes I did take some pictures and some measurements. The mic was at 2 cm from the grill and the gain from the sound card was 20 dB lower to avoid any clipping as I know the mic can take 113 dB but I don't know how clean the sound card is. The yellow measurement is with the bandpass crossover engaged.

Couldn't take more measurements with the Xoc1 for now as i have them installed elsewhere for some time.

post-3306-0-04110500-1466472053_thumb.jpg

post-3306-0-97253600-1466472053_thumb.jpg

post-3306-0-65350300-1466472054_thumb.jpg

post-3306-0-50866300-1466472055_thumb.jpg

post-3306-0-98931400-1466472227_thumb.jpg

post-3306-0-92079700-1466472228_thumb.jpg

So when you say you turned them upside down, are you saying the horn mouth is/was closer to the ceiling now?

Also what ever happened to your monster horn design? Did you ever build one for concept/prototype or no?

The mouth was closer to the ceiling at first and now it is closer to the floor which is better because I avoided some resonances.

That monster horn didn't happened because I was waiting for funds that never came... but I will build it eventually, I just I don't know when. I will start building 2 SyntripP to go with the 2 TH18 which I will rent to a club for half a year and with the money I will build the Palehorns for private dub and DnB parties ;)

• 1 year later...

No, I missed a punctuation mark. They are using the 18SW115-4 driver in the original TH118. I will build 2 identical enclosures to the TH118 , that are now easily found on the web.in those enclosures I will try the ID and IPal drivers to see what are the differencies and if it worths the cost difference. In my sims, the IPal version should go flat to 33 Hz instead of 37 and it should keep the same max SPL because it has more excursion and long term power handling than the SW115. 

4 hours ago, chrapladm said:

Will be interesting to see what your results are. I do like the IPAL but havent been able to make a design that warrants the extra cost yet.

Oh, but they warrant the cost on their own. In anything you put them, that has increased performances. But only with the right amp. There's in fact the problem. Here we only have Powersoft amps that handle very low impedance and high reactivity subwoofers. SpeakerPower amps would be the others, but I can't really get my hands on them easily. Probably some Crests are also good and stable and also Crown amps. But not as good.

12 hours ago, radulescu_paul_mircea said:

Oh, but they warrant the cost on their own. In anything you put them, that has increased performances. But only with the right amp. There's in fact the problem. Here we only have Powersoft amps that handle very low impedance and high reactivity subwoofers. SpeakerPower amps would be the others, but I can't really get my hands on them easily. Probably some Crests are also good and stable and also Crown amps. But not as good.

For me the option is the Alpine SWS 15 or 18IPAL. Amp wise I dont have an issue there because most amps can handle 2ohms. BUT when I find something I will build using the 18IPAL I am looking at just using a SP 4000 amp. PLUS I will be buying one for my Skhorn build anyways. Look to see real world how the IPAL does in the Xoc1 TH118. I dont have the plans on Toms design but dont mind building the clone.

• 5 months later...
On 3/9/2018 at 12:45 PM, eggchen said:

Did you end up comparing the 18ipal to the 18SW115? I have 2 TH18's with the 18SW115 (4 ohm) powered by a Crown Itech 6000 and am very happy with the output and sound quality! 

I didn't test it after all , because I changed the 18"s with 21"s to use them in my own designs. I don't want to use that design anymore, it's better to use my own The difference though is huge, the efficiency and thermal stability are way higher than those of the SW115. I'll use the 18 IPal in one of my other designs and after that I'll use the 18Sound where normal drivers are needed.

And the 21" Ipal is so powerful compared to anything else, the sound is so much better!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello.

I´m finally seriously considering 18IPALs, to get most power density out of my speaker setup. I could not find any info regarding motor/suspension system noise and reliability (leads still driven outside or woven in the spider?).

I would ask anybody with experience with this driver about behavior at large excursions (16-20mm one way). 

Thank you very much.

• 1 year later...