Rockford Fosgate T3 19 discussion

Ricci

That didn't used to be in the specs from what I can remember. They seem to keep revising and adding to the information released. Some of the videos they've posted I don't remember either. That is an absolute huge amount of neo. 7+ lbs??? :o

By the way if you dig around you can find these for under $1500 shipped. Still super expensive but over $1000 under MSRP is a significant savings.

that might run you ~300+ bucks for the raw magnet alone!

Don't be mentioning that on some of the 'audiophile' forums, they'll cry 'Heresy!!', round you up with pitchforks, burn you at the stake, then return to a nice dinner listening to their single 10" because, you know, 10s are lightweight and 'fast' ;)

haha I know :P everything is relative, more mass + more bl to offset only means the Q goes down. This thing has a low ass Q!

This driver honestly gets me excited about woofer design again

• Like 2

Don't be mentioning that on some of the 'audiophile' forums, they'll cry 'Heresy!!', round you up with pitchforks, burn you at the stake, then return to a nice dinner listening to their single 10" because, you know, 10s are lightweight and 'fast' ;)

Or just as good...

"Subwoofers aren't 'musical'."

:rolleyes:

No. Your shitty room and system setup is "not musical".

(not YOU MemX, but those guys....)

• Like 2

The BL^2/Re is where it's at.  The relatively high mass does cancel some of the benefit of the high BL^2/Re in the high frequencies, but the tradeoff is more sensitivity near the resonance and a bit more efficiency near and some ways below resonance.  It may have a favorable effect on low frequency distortion performance.

I do suspect that in the case of the M.A.U.L., it is the higher mass that is helping to stabilize the drivers when used in the series horn-loaded configuration.  I could be wrong about that, but I lean toward higher mass because it agrees with my intuition somewhat and because the mass is the parameter that's most different between the IPAL-21 and RF T3 19, IIRC.

OTOH, the higher mass does harm sensitivity and efficiency above resonance, and depending on how the driver is used, this can nullify the improvements in the middle/low end.

• Like 2

I do suspect that in the case of the M.A.U.L., it is the higher mass that is helping to stabilize the drivers when used in the series horn-loaded configuration.  I could be wrong about that, but I lean toward higher mass because it agrees with my intuition somewhat and because the mass is the parameter that's most different between the IPAL-21 and RF T3 19, IIRC.

That's what my gut instinct is as well. That's the trait that is most different between the 2 drivers. Suspension stiffness also probably plays a role. Not in this exact comparison between drivers because it is very similar but in other cases it likely does.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Update to powering the RF 19's. The 8 sealed in the HT will now be getting a pair of SP2-12000's. Each 6k module power 2 1ohm T3S1-19 drivers in series in a dual opposed sealed cab.  This switch is mostly because the SP amps have less fan noise than the K20's. Also they have slightly better extension below 10Hz. The K20's are going to the band spot to power the MAUL's. Fan noise doesn't matter there. Each MAUL has 4 T3S1-19's wired in series for a 4ohm nominal load and will see a whole bridged K20. Yay headroom...

Got power?

Power Amps 1200x800.jpg

• Like 7

On 1/29/2018 at 10:08 AM, Ricci said:

Update to powering the RF 19's. The 8 sealed in the HT will now be getting a pair of SP2-12000's. Each 6k module power 2 1ohm T3S1-19 drivers in series in a dual opposed sealed cab.  This switch is mostly because the SP amps have less fan noise than the K20's. Also they have slightly better extension below 10Hz. The K20's are going to the band spot to power the MAUL's. Fan noise doesn't matter there. Each MAUL has 4 T3S1-19's wired in series for a 4ohm nominal load and will see a whole bridged K20. Yay headroom...

What are you doing for EQ /XOs on the subs?  IIRC, your K20 had built-in DSP capability.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:49 AM, SME said:

What are you doing for EQ /XOs on the subs?  IIRC, your K20 had built-in DSP capability.

I'm not sure yet. I have DCX's laying around I can throw in there, but I'm going to investigate other stand alone options. I don't have the amps swapped out yet. I have to do some rewiring of speakons, level matching, etc. Planned to get to it last weekend but didn't.

13 hours ago, Kyle said:

meanwhile, I have a wife and 2 kids that turn down my single 12" sub if the receiver goes past -28dB.

**face palm**

i hate you guys.

This is what I make my wife and kids wear when watching a movie with me.  And it’s what I wear when doing any work around the house or shop.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NKSMPZW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

David 

• 3 years later...

Kicking back this thread for a question:

What is consensus on sealed box volume for these drivers?

Ricci's test in some places report 6.12cu-ft, in other places 4.5cu-ft.

The manufacturer doesn't recommend sealed but they seem fine in a sealed enclosure from these reports.  I want a small sealed enclosure, smaller is better but as long as I'm doing it custom I should target some known good volume, also is this recommendation gross or net?  This driver displaces .34cu-ft according to the manufacturer:

https://rockfordfosgate.com/rnt/rnw/docs/1176/1220-59308-02_subdisplace-adv.pdf

I'm hoping to find someone in the Midwest to custom make some funk audio style enclosures for this driver forward firing under the screen in the middle of my house's media room (so looks are important too).  Max height for the boxes are 22.5" including feet (which is what lead me towards this driver).

https://www.funkaudio.ca/store/p18/Funk_Audio_-_18.0LX.html (see gallery).

Thanks for any enclosure fabricator suggestions and target volume recommendations!

Anthony

FYI Maglito...Frame OD on this is 21". It'll be tough getting it into 22.5" height with feet. Not impossible though. I believe my home cabs are about 22.5 x 22.5 on the driver baffle but they do not have feet. 

The driver was tested in about 4.5ft sealed after driver displacement and bracing. Test cab was 23x23x20". At home I have them sealed in roughly the same amount of volume per driver. 

They work great. Bring the EQ and the POWER. Adjust to taste.

One thing to be aware of is with a moving assembly that weighs 1Kg these can shake the hell out of a small enclosure at war volume. That's a big part of the reason mine are dual opposed. You'll need some mass and grippy feet to hold them in place. 

• Like 1