gjallarhorn or Othornbuild plans.

philray

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, great place. I've been building speakers for 20 years, and built just about everything except long folded horns like the Gjallarhorn and Othorn. I have 8' line source arrays for my front and sides, and need some serious upgrades for the subwoofers in my 26 x 28 HT room. Can I get the plans for these base hours? Just curious why Luke went with both horns?

Kind Regards,

Luca

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, great place. I've been building speakers for 20 years, and built just about everything except long folded horns like the Gjallarhorn and Othorn. I have 8' line source arrays for my front and sides, and need some serious upgrades for the subwoofers in my 26 x 28 HT room. Can I get the plans for these base hours? Just curious why Luke went with both horns?

Kind Regards,

Luca

PM me your email address.

The Othorn is much more efficient than the Ghorn from 25hz and up, and it also doesn't suffer from the horn resonances that required a lot of EQ to tame with the Ghorns (and even after EQ the Ghorns didn't sound good enough for me for music).  However, by 20hz the Othorn doesn't have much useable output, and that's where the Ghorns came in.  With the Ghorns I could hit 134db at 15hz at the seats.   

Combing the two gave me my favorite bass for music I've heard so far, and also extended down to ~12hz for movie content.

OK, makes sense.  I am looking for the lower end, as I have quad amped using the DBX 4800 Driverack active management.  Crossovers are set at 800Hz to my array of BG NEO8PDR (x9), 150Hz to the Audax HM170CO (x12) array, 50Hz to a 3X18" array, then to my current subs which are the 18" competition Audiobahn in a box.  I am looking to make the horn sub for replacing the Audiobahn box (reflex), and crossing over at or near 40-50Hz.   Do you use a high pass filter on your bass horns to limit the unloading?

Kind Regards,

Archived