Photo

Mad Max: Fury Road - Discussion & Poll - CLOSED

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Poll: Mad Max: Fury Road (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Recommendation?

1. 5 Stars (22 votes [53.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 53.66%

2. 4 Stars (16 votes [39.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.02%

3. 3 Stars (1 votes [2.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.44%

4. 2 Stars (1 votes [2.44%] - View)

5. 1 Star (1 votes [2.44%] - View)

Execution?

1. Buy (35 votes [85.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 85.37%

2. Rent (5 votes [12.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.20%

3. Avoid (1 votes [2.44%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:53 PM

Mad Max: Fury Road (7.1 TrueHD)

Level        - 5 Stars (113.91dB composite)

Extension - 4 Stars (11Hz)

Dynamics - 3 Stars (24.28dB)

Execution - 5 Stars

Overall     - 4.25 Stars

Recommendation - Buy

Notes: Delivering everything pretty over the top, it's only fitting that Mad Max: Fury Road has lots of bass.  It does not have much below 20Hz, aside from 2 scenes, and those only have a little bit of content down low.  As you can see from the PvA, it drops like a rock below 28Hz.  It's also not very dynamic, because of the sheer quantity of bass.  I didn't think the mix was exceptional, but it does have a lot of bass.

That said, you wouldn't recognize most of the sound team from a list of the heavy hitters, but many of them have been quite recognized by the Academy, so you know it's going to at least be good.  The mix is clean, even though it's loud.  I could only find very limited instances of flat tops in the waveforms, and no outright clipping.  I never heard anything bad when watching, but the dialog could have been a lot cleaner, what with all the heavy British Aussie English (thanks AJ72) being butchered by mush-mouths on the screen.  Clearly some of that was intentional, but that was my only real complaint with the movie or mix.

Otherwise, it's probably the most action I've ever seen packed into what I would call a pretty good movie.  It's not a great movie, but it really is good, and it is most definitely a good HT ride, even without a ton of the deep bass we crave.

PvA:

post-17-0-31045100-1441389184.png

Attached Files

• Shredhead, RobertMr, Braifaraglisp and 1 other like this

#2 MikeDuke

MikeDuke

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:00 PM

Looking forward to checking this one out.  It may not have the dynamics, but overall I think I will enjoy it.  Again, because of my Crowson, I think the lack of dynamics won't bother me as me with my Crowson going down to 10hz,  

P.S  Thanks again for all of the movies everyone does here.  

#3 Rowan611

Rowan611

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationPella, IA

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:09 PM

I loved it and thought it sounded great. Watching again tonight in 3D with a buddy. It's definitely loud, but not like AoE or Godzilla with tons of clipping. I do agree about the voices, that being said, there isn't a whole lot of dialogue. Lol

#4 Shredhead

Shredhead

Ultra Member

• Super Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:39 PM

Sub jack out with re-directed bass starting at 100Hz.

e2f5a1bc27a4d00073816353cee7d7a9.png

2af1ec7a8b7a5de98b65184e896f67d8.png

Looks like there's some low nuggets in here.  Waveform doesn't look too bad at all. 

• Infrasonic likes this

#5 Audiofan1

Audiofan1

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 01:46 AM

Big 5 and buy for me! Simply outrageous!

#6 Bossobass Dave

Bossobass Dave

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 02:24 AM

Played at ref level with the subs bumped just a bit. Mic on the floor (dip in response at 70 Hz, etc) and was probably moved once or twice.

Stopped SL and capped when I thought the low end was great and ended up stopping and capping 10 times. :lol:

No time stamps, just numbered 1-10... AWESOME!

JcZLl6k.png

dT2MtzG.jpg

Zd5Lj9x.jpg

• Infrasonic likes this

#7 Kvalsvoll

Kvalsvoll

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 05 September 2015 - 02:34 AM

Thank you @nube for a great review, and with the comments from others to fill in I am tempted.

My audio blog - kvalsvoll.blogspot.com

#8 Rowan611

Rowan611

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationPella, IA

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:28 AM

It was great in 3D also.

#9 Madaeel

Madaeel

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:35 AM

^^^Then that's a buy in 3D for me. Great bass and 3D. As long as it's not TMNT...

• Shredhead likes this

#10 gdffgdfgd

gdffgdfgd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 10:26 AM

Probably my favorite movie this year so far and that goes for the sound mix as well.

Yes it was loud but it still sounded clear without obvious clipping or limiting.

#11 Aj72

Aj72

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 11:02 AM

Have to agree with the comments here but Nube It's classic Aussie English (well aside from a few interlopers amongst the cast).

Edit: All good Nube appreciate the work you guys put in.

#12 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 12:08 PM

Thanks for the correction, AJ72.  :)  Aussie English it is.  Mush mouth extravaganza.  :)  

So the ultra low content is rolled off for almost the whole movie.  If someone was really careful, this one might be a total monster with a BEQ solution employed.  The only pitfall I see are those two unfiltered moments where there's very large 10-12Hz content.  While the overall mix would benefit by having the rolloff / filter removed from the low end, any boost to those two ULF sequences would likely push a lot of folks into the danger zone.

#13 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,833 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 05 September 2015 - 02:20 PM

BEQ is possible, and I recommend that no one even try to playback a BEQ film back at equivalent reference level unless they can playback 7.1 WCS tonebursts without fear.

With BEQ, we would have significant 10Hz content, possibly even more than the 15Hz content in Scott Pilgrim BEQ.

JSS

#14 Rowan611

Rowan611

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationPella, IA

Posted 05 September 2015 - 02:55 PM

^^^Then that's a buy in 3D for me. Great bass and 3D. As long as it's not TMNT...

The 3D is more depth; awesome, awesome depth. Not really much flying out at you....FYI

#15 Kvalsvoll

Kvalsvoll

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:13 PM

Thanks for the correction, AJ72.   :)  Aussie English it is.  Mush mouth extravaganza.   :)

So the ultra low content is rolled off for almost the whole movie.  If someone was really careful, this one might be a total monster with a BEQ solution employed.  The only pitfall I see are those two unfiltered moments where there's very large 10-12Hz content.  While the overall mix would benefit by having the rolloff / filter removed from the low end, any boost to those two ULF sequences would likely push a lot of folks into the danger zone.

If you want to correct the whole movie with same filtering, this will usually lead to some compromises.

For some movies I employed different filtering for some scenes or parts.

The 2 last alien films (Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection) and Gravity Atmos/TrueHD release are examples where a much better reslult is achieved by using an adaptive bass-eq approach.

From the pva for Mad Max Fury, I would start with some lift below 20hz and actually reduce the level around 30-40hz.

But it is not that simple, you have to listen to it, and pay attention to impact on transients - the filtering will cause phase shift, and this can cause transients to loose some of their impact.

#16 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,833 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 06 September 2015 - 12:55 AM

I have not encountered serious phase-shift problems with BEQ, even with some of the most transient phenomena (fireworks recordings).

JSS

#17 SME

SME

Super Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:30 AM

I have not encountered serious phase-shift problems with BEQ, even with some of the most transient phenomena (fireworks recordings).

JSS

Indeed.  And in fact, where your BEQ is "correcting for" an HPF filter put in place by the mixers, there's a chance you'll get even better phase coherence with BEQ than without.  Most of these filters are probably minimum phase, anyway, and I doubt the mixers did anything to try to correct the phase shift their filter introduced.

#18 Shredhead

Shredhead

Ultra Member

• Super Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:55 AM

But it is not that simple, you have to listen to it, and pay attention to impact on transients - the filtering will cause phase shift, and this can cause transients to loose some of their impact.

Better to boost and hear something rather than get nothing though right?

Do you really think that you could notice a phase shift like that in the transients?  I've heard that it makes a difference but I still haven't noticed it in listening to a system.  Wouldn't the delay be within the bandwidth of the sub system reproducing it?  I could see pointing out a few milliseconds difference in the mains in comparison with the sub at the crossover point but within the same speaker, I think you might be able to discern a difference in response sound but not too much in attack.  Does that make sense?

#19 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,833 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:57 PM

When I BEQ'ed the Danley Fireworks recordings, the impulse waveforms didn't 'spread out' at all. They really just picked up heft after the initial sharp impulse.

JSS

#20 Kvalsvoll

Kvalsvoll

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:32 PM

Indeed.  And in fact, where your BEQ is "correcting for" an HPF filter put in place by the mixers, there's a chance you'll get even better phase coherence with BEQ than without.  Most of these filters are probably minimum phase, anyway, and I doubt the mixers did anything to try to correct the phase shift their filter introduced.

So it is.

I suspect that is actually the reason we see shelf filtering more often than simple cut-off hp filtering. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users