Bossobass Mini GTG Thread

Bossobass Dave

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the Xmax on those? Are those prototypes?

Nope, they are production models. I know, I know, I don't have them up on the web page but that is only because I don't  have the time to put them up there. I am SUPER busy and haven't had the time to take the pictures and put the drivers up on the web page.

This small, short-notice, GTG was freakin great. Dave, Paul, and his whole family were extremely gracious with one hell of a meal provided to fuel our bass-head needs. Fantastic house, great location, super awesome room. And while I'm thinking about it the Raptor subwoofers are flat-out beyond impressive. Sure it was sixteen 15" drivers but it was the way they assaulted the ultra-low stuff (below 30, 20, 10 Hz) that consistently slapped a huge smile on my face. Talk about tactile feel - you don't need transducers mounted to your risers with the Raptor system's in your room. The Raptors displayed a truly "you MUST hear/feel this" sensation that even I am still impressed with...and I'm used to 150 dB+ car audio systems where it is hard to breathe. During the insanity Raptor demo's I caught myself looking around at the subwoofers laughing at how the drivers/system took it and kept on digging deeper and deeper. I kept thinking "they're going to talk back, they're going to bottom out, they're not going to like the next bit" etc but they were always super clean and detailed and gut-wrenching. Very nicely done Dave. And lets not forget the fit and finish of the enclosures! Talk about something ANY company would be proud of! I really can't say enough positives about the finish. Pictures do not do the Raptor's justice. Dave, you have hit the ball out of the park with your Raptors...and that is not something that I have said more than one or two times in my life. I usually leave a demo thinking "that was pretty good but X, Y, or Z, could have been improved" but the assault on the low end and the volume of the extreme bottom end still has me smiling as I type this.  :D

Now to toot my own horn for a second we got the HST-15's moving to around 4". When the surround is seen with dimples the driver is well over 3.5" p-p and we were able to catch it on Brandon's iphone slow-motion video capture. Bosso's son also had a nice rig setup after dinner to capture the drivers movement which he will post up later. 

Fun times with fun people. Everyone kept a positive attitude the entire day and I, for one, had an absolute fantasitc time. My father had a great time as well which is a huge bonus for me with his recent health issues. 

Nope, they are production models. I know, I know, I don't have them up on the web page but that is only because I don't  have the time to put them up there. I am SUPER busy and haven't had the time to take the pictures and put the drivers up on the web page.

Can you post T/S parameters and free air sensitivity data yet?  Also, I just looked at your web page and noticed that no free air sensitivity is published for either the HST-11 or HST-12.

Well that was a blast.  Luke is a cool guy and it was great to meet him and talk some shop with him.  His basement horn setup sounds intense.  And it's always fun hanging with Brandon, Nick and Marty. 

We started off the day hanging out waiting for everyone to arrive and settle in and then we got to installing the 2 HST-15's that Nick and Marty brought with them.  Before long we were up and running with 1 Raptor module with the HST-15's.  We spent a little time mic'ing and dialing in the HST-15's and then it was off to having fun watching them dance.  We broke them in with some Pacific Rim.  We had the systems setup so we could switch between the 2 HST-15's and the 2 Raptor system 3's in under a minute so we could bounce back and forth whenever we wanted. 

We ate some grub, and enjoyed some of NC's humid summer.  Then stuff got serious.  We cranked some real heavy hitters like the Hulk, Oz, Star Trek, Interstellar and Oblivion with stronger than reference levels.  Oz and Interstellar were just ridiculous.  Lot's of fun!  Didn't have time to get super nerdy with measurements but we did take some and some pics too which are soon to come. 

Here is a video my brother Tim took of Nick's driver's playing the cop car scene from TIH:

We had only 1 option for the placement of the single Raptor module with the HST-15's with the rest of the stacks in place and the response isn't as good as it can be but it was still more than enjoyable to listen to. 

5cf377b596c7f0745caf38cb0aebd72a.png

Here is what the "Hulk punches Abomination in the face" scene from the youtube video looked like:

8b97c62263e44917e04431c120bc3618.png

For anyone reading this who hasn't seen Stereo Integrity's drivers in person trust me when I say that looking at pictures isn't the same as seeing them in person.  It is obvious that Nick is meticulous in detail both in the design and assembly of his drivers.  He is also an awesome resource of knowledge when it comes to driver parameters and how accurate the various ways of testing those parameters are in the industry. 

Nick was nice enough to leave the drivers here for us to mess with for a while longer so I'll have some info coming soon on how many peak watts they can deal with for reference source material. 

Thanks again to Luke for having the idea to drop by for a visit and to everyone else for coming over to hang out!

This small, short-notice, GTG was freakin great. Dave, Paul, and his whole family were extremely gracious with one hell of a meal provided to fuel our bass-head needs. Fantastic house, great location, super awesome room. And while I'm thinking about it the Raptor subwoofers are flat-out beyond impressive. Sure it was sixteen 15" drivers but it was the way they assaulted the ultra-low stuff (below 30, 20, 10 Hz) that consistently slapped a huge smile on my face. Talk about tactile feel - you don't need transducers mounted to your risers with the Raptor system's in your room. The Raptors displayed a truly "you MUST hear/feel this" sensation that even I am still impressed with...and I'm used to 150 dB+ car audio systems where it is hard to breathe. During the insanity Raptor demo's I caught myself looking around at the subwoofers laughing at how the drivers/system took it and kept on digging deeper and deeper. I kept thinking "they're going to talk back, they're going to bottom out, they're not going to like the next bit" etc but they were always super clean and detailed and gut-wrenching. Very nicely done Dave. And lets not forget the fit and finish of the enclosures! Talk about something ANY company would be proud of! I really can't say enough positives about the finish. Pictures do not do the Raptor's justice. Dave, you have hit the ball out of the park with your Raptors...and that is not something that I have said more than one or two times in my life. I usually leave a demo thinking "that was pretty good but X, Y, or Z, could have been improved" but the assault on the low end and the volume of the extreme bottom end still has me smiling as I type this. :D

Now to toot my own horn for a second we got the HST-15's moving to around 4". When the surround is seen with dimples the driver is well over 3.5" p-p and we were able to catch it on Brandon's iphone slow-motion video capture. Bosso's son also had a nice rig setup after dinner to capture the drivers movement which he will post up later.

Fun times with fun people. Everyone kept a positive attitude the entire day and I, for one, had an absolute fantasitc time. My father had a great time as well which is a huge bonus for me with his recent health issues.

Family and friends, the new 15" and Bosso's ultimate ULF Powerplants going full tilt, sounds like the makings of the best GTG every. Good review of the festivities too.

First, a word about Nick's HST-15 drivers:

Thanks for whipping up a pair for the GTG, thanks for bringing Marty along (Virginia enjoyed talking to him, as did all of us at Chez Bosso. He's a great guy with a lot of great audiophile information to share. Always a pleasure.), thanks for being the great enthusiast for our hobby that you are and thanks for being the go-to- guy for the state of the art in HT subwoofer drivers.

Thanks for the very kind words as well. ;)

At the GTG, I heard the buzz about a poster at AVS who called Nick a liar for posting some of the data he posted regadring the HS drivers he's designed, built, perfected and tested.

Paul and I decided to put that nonsense to rest. :P

Here's a pair of the HST-15s snugly nestled into a Raptor enclosure, where the box volume and design of the enclosure and the drivers appear to be a match made in heaven. We drove them to maximum excursion during playback of the HULK/ABOMINATION fight... yes folks, you read that right... actual soundtrack as the input signal, mic'd in-room and compared to the digital feed for analysis:

The system... OPPO BDP-105. LPF set to 100 Hz. SW output into Marchand Bassis. I non-humbly proclaim to be the world's utmost authority on the Bassis and dialed in the perfect L/T curve for the system in 15 seconds or so. The pertinent data is that the final system Qtc was 0.58 and the L/T boost was +10dB maximum with a final system F3 of 24 Hz. Finally, the signal was fed into a K-12000 LG clone that we modded and have used in the rack for several years now. The system's nominal resistance was 3.55 ohms.

Naked and L/T'd close mic:

63a0a0815c106cb3b18b0ba0436f4846.png

Max excursion GIF:

440bcf92ed4bbc2c3eb52cee3419e9ef.gif

Oh, NOES!!! The surround is DIMPLING!!! :o  :(  :lol:   Relax, folks, this means nothing and is a standard routine with the Raptor's BHT-15 drivers as well. It's the performance at the seats that matters. So, how did they fair in this grueling test?

670b4577b552c9f6daedc0a30da1fbd9.gif

If there is any 3HD of the 8.5 Hz fundamental, it's extremely low and completely masked by the overall effect. This is extraordinary performance. Any doubters? Bring them here and we'll discuss it, BUT... make sure they bring data of equal or better performance from something else or I'll tend to laugh at them abusively.

Thanks again, from all of us, for everything, Nick.

Here's some Raptor Dual System III running +15dB hot with MVL at or above reference:

This is the scene in Interstellar where he enters the black hole. The SPL meter is not absolutely calibrated, but it's close enough to include in the post,

73ca7d12e0eff824cc66dab89d428700.png

This is the witch fight scene from OZ The Great And Powerful:

31a4e4a782a14b44d587c12ca99f67cb.png

The above 2 scenes were brutal. I'm not used to that sort of assault on one's sense. Many members do this sort of thing regularly, or so I'm told and occasionally I read posts to that effect, but man... 130+dB peaks with 126+dB sustained is balls out powerful stuff and not for the faint of heart.

Next, I played the scene Larry enjoyed during his visit where I usually do the with and without ULF to see if guests notice a difference. At this point in the demo session, I skipped the "without" part and just figured if anyone felt no ULF they were in a coma...

189c5ba29d7cd474a5e470376eb56769.png

GTG Anecdote:

My wife invited the neighbors across the street for dinner since we had so much food and drink on tap. The Mrs came to me and said, "Check your e-mail when you get a chance."

When I asked her why she told me that she e-mailed me to say that, with her front door shut, she was petting her dog while sitting on the floor in her family room and she felt her butt being massaged. Her house is approximately 180 feet across the street from my HT.

Virginia and Matt were outside in the driveway below the HT window that I have to replace. She said it looked seriously as if it was going to blow right out of the opening.

I admit, that sort of stuff is pretty fun to hear. :lol:

You basement HT guys with no windows and bunker like walls are lucky. :P

Haha, I can believe every bit of that :D My plan is to get home this evening and do a nice little review from the day yesterday, but MAN!!!!! I'll go ahead and say it now, I had one of the best times ever and it was hands down a VERY memorable experience. Virginia is a saint and Dave, you are the man for what appears to me to not just be an upper 1%'er  theater, but also a downright cool place to just hang out and drink a beer on the back patio. Your neighbors were very nice as well. More to come later :D

For anyone reading this who hasn't seen Stereo Integrity's drivers in person trust me when I say that looking at pictures isn't the same as seeing them in person.  It is obvious that Nick is meticulous in detail both in the design and assembly of his drivers.

I agree. I had a chance to spend two afternoons with the HS24 a few weeks ago. Incredible driver and sounded great when played down into the single digits.

Luke, wish I could make it to your place on August 1. I'll be in Sioux Falls from July 27-29 and am not driving another 12 hours round trip on Saturday. 

I have to thank my wife, Virginia. We've been together since we were 17 years old. I think it was the mono channel Victrola back then. Anyway, she's always put on a spread for guests as long as I can remember. This time was no exception. She got home from work at midnight the night before and by noon the next day (GTG day), food, drink and hostess with the mostess.

137fb92ed4023f84795916489fb81240.png

First, a word about Nick's HST-15 drivers:

Thanks for whipping up a pair for the GTG, thanks for bringing Marty along (Virginia enjoyed talking to him, as did all of us at Chez Bosso. He's a great guy with a lot of great audiophile information to share. Always a pleasure.), thanks for being the great enthusiast for our hobby that you are and thanks for being the go-to- guy for the state of the art in HT subwoofer drivers.

Thanks for the very kind words as well. ;)

At the GTG, I heard the buzz about a poster at AVS who called Nick a liar for posting some of the data he posted regadring the HS drivers he's designed, built, perfected and tested.

Paul and I decided to put that nonsense to rest. :P

Here's a pair of the HST-15s snugly nestled into a Raptor enclosure, where the box volume and design of the enclosure and the drivers appear to be a match made in heaven. We drove them to maximum excursion during playback of the HULK/ABOMINATION fight... yes folks, you read that right... actual soundtrack as the input signal, mic'd in-room and compared to the digital feed for analysis:

The system... OPPO BDP-105. LPF set to 100 Hz. SW output into Marchand Bassis. I non-humbly proclaim to be the world's utmost authority on the Bassis and dialed in the perfect L/T curve for the system in 15 seconds or so. The pertinent data is that the final system Qtc was 0.58 and the L/T boost was +10dB maximum with a final system F3 of 24 Hz. Finally, the signal was fed into a K-12000 LG clone that we modded and have used in the rack for several years now. The system's nominal resistance was 3.55 ohms.

Naked and L/T'd close mic:

63a0a0815c106cb3b18b0ba0436f4846.png

Max excursion GIF:

440bcf92ed4bbc2c3eb52cee3419e9ef.gif

Oh, NOES!!! The surround is DIMPLING!!! :o  :(  :lol:   Relax, folks, this means nothing and is a standard routine with the Raptor's BHT-15 drivers as well. It's the performance at the seats that matters. So, how did they fair in this grueling test?

670b4577b552c9f6daedc0a30da1fbd9.gif

If there is any 3HD of the 8.5 Hz fundamental, it's extremely low and completely masked by the overall effect. This is extraordinary performance. Any doubters? Bring them here and we'll discuss it, BUT... make sure they bring data of equal or better performance from something else or I'll tend to laugh at them abusively.

Thanks again, from all of us, for everything, Nick.

Nope, once again thanks goes out to your family for putting up with us bass-heads. Your GTG was absolutely fantastic. Again I can't say enough about the build quality and attention to detail of the Raptor subwoofers - holy shit were those impressive visually and audibly (is there a tactile-ey word?). Seriously when I move into a new house this next year I am going to see if you will do me the honors of building a DO enclosure for a pair of 24's in the same finish/style as your Raptors. I am still beside myself at the level of detail in your enclosures and the performance of your subwoofer systems. It must sound like I'm blowing smoke up Bosso's ass but it's the truth that I have not been this impressed with the overall 100% complete package that Bosso delivers in many many many years. The Raptor system really does take up a very small footprint and it looks awesome. Match that up with the visceral assault on your organs and surrounding room structures and you have an offical "WOW" from me and my dad. 

PS: Click this text for a link to the Spies album my dad and I were talking about during the meet. IMO not fun music but for bass it is definitely worth purchasing. Kind of window-washing acid jazz style music but if you have a potent subwoofer system this album is a must have. 

PS: Click this text for a link to the Spies album my dad and I were talking about during the meet. IMO not fun music but for bass it is definitely worth purchasing. Kind of window-washing acid jazz style music but if you have a potent subwoofer system this album is a must have. 

Thanks for the link, the Amazon reviews look interesting so I might pick this one up!

Sounds like it was an awesome GTG overall :)   I love the neighbour and window anecdotes, things are always more fun if you're breaking sh!t  :lol:  lol

I have to thank my wife, Virginia. We've been together since we were 17 years old. I think it was the mono channel Victrola back then. Anyway, she's always put on a spread for guests as long as I can remember. This time was no exception. She got home from work at midnight the night before and by noon the next day (GTG day), food, drink and hostess with the mostess.

137fb92ed4023f84795916489fb81240.png

Virginia is awesome. A great cook and tolerant of a house full of bassheads. Don't get no better than that! Plus she's the only woman who made me love lasgana. :D

Archived