JTR Speakers Measurements and Discussion

Ricci

For everyone who's owned a JTR sub, these results are as expected.  While they pretty effectively vindicate all of the claims and hype, they also show why Jeff has moved to less and less amp with slightly lower default tunings over time.

It's a very interesting comparison versus the Rythmik FV15HP, against which the Captivator 1400 shines, to the tune of +2-5dB across most of the bandwidth in favor of the Cap, depending on the FV15HP's tuning.  The Cap performs much the same, although even more convincingly, versus the much-lauded SVS PB-13 Ultra in either of its tunings.

If you're looking for a ported ID sub, this one should be firmly at the top of your list.  I hope JTR gets a big boost from these measurements.  Now, we just need Mark Seaton to bring his toys down... :)

Josh, how long was Jeff there?  Good guy, eh?  I hear he's scheduled the sealed sub testing for September of this year?  Can't wait, although I think the results of that are more predictable.

Jeff has been down here a couple of times. This last time due to bad weather we ended up knocking three subs out from about 7 pm to 1am. Jeff is supposed to come back sometime in September for the rest of the lineup.

I expected more from the growler. But I guess I shouldn't have as the portability/ size of it is it's real selling point. I see $999 listed on the site, which is really quite good for that kind of subwoofer, though requires amplification yet.

The Cap looks really good. I didn't know much about it. Seems to hit the important aspects of reproduction. Easy for a group like this forum to poo poo the F3 and steep HPF but ultimately it achieves a high level of performance that 99% of HT audiences are looking for. Only thing that surprises me is the very flat response. Why? Seems to me a slight (5dbish) roll off below 30hz would still provide massive 20hz output and allow for smaller box or less power/eq or less excursion. I suppose flat response is good marketing.

All just random thoughts.

Thanks Ricci.

Seems to me a slight (5dbish) roll off below 30hz would still provide massive 20hz output and allow for smaller box or less power/eq or less excursion.

Tux?!?!?

Complaining about flat, nearly perfect frequency responses?  :huh:   

:P

The cap 1400 already has massive output - beating anything else at the typical ID comparable pricepoint by bounds from 20hz and up, with the most enviable FR I think we've seen yet from in an ID system.  

I think it's an amazing test result!    Triple A!

The flat FR allows for incredibly flexible placement -- you don't have to corner load, counting on boundary gain, or EQ up to get up the bottom end frequencies.  Your auto (or manual) eq has a fantastic starting place.  Isn't that like the golden egg of speaker/subwoofer design?     Woot!

Fully explains why all the Cap owners thought PacRim, Godzilla, Avengers and the other 20-30Hz filtered films were great LF films...and why folks with more extension capability thought they were lacking.

JSS

My thought on that:

I wasn't impressed with Pacific Rim when I had the pair of Caps (before I had setup my sealed)

I wasn't impressed with Godzilla when I watched it with the eight sealed. (after I sold my caps)

Avengers was enjoyable on both alignments - filtered or not.

You didn't expect the Caps to play below port tune, nobody did.

However, one does have to give props to JTR for that native frequency response, and the high output levels acheived in reasonably priced package - compared to the other ID competition.

As a former owner, I will attest - a pair of JTR ported captivators is a powerhouse, and exceptionally enjoyable system.  It gave up precious little to my current eight sealed UM18-22 setup IMO.

About that Orbit Shifter!!!

What a beastie!  New records on upper bass eh?

I'm looking forward to seeing the OS LFU measured this fall for comparison!

I'm with nube, there is no way this won't be good for JTR Speaker sales!  Way to go Jeff on your designs and implementations!

Tremendous thanks to Ricci on doing this stuff for the community -- man I was really excited to see the UM18-22 measurements go up too!  This has been a big week for data-bass! SI 24, DA UM18-22, and 3 JTR systems! 

Did you have a vacation week or something Josh?

Like madaeel, I agree you should put up a paypal link for people to contribute funds!  Maybe people wouldn't put in a lot and I doubt you'd get rich, but I'm sure most of the guys here would be glad to throw a handful of dollars your way from time to time to help offset your hosting costs, time, and efforts!  I would!   As fellow hobbiest, we REALLY TRULY appreciate this stuff!

We thought about donations way back but just never did anything. LOL. Lots of stuff Kyle and I want to do. Finding time on the other hand...

No vacation here been busting my hump for weeks now on all fronts. About to take a vacation in 2 weeks though. Yeah!

Archaea, certainly not complaining :D Just rambling about what a manufacturer could do to save power or box size. I figure most any room will boost 20hz so flat doesn't totally make sense to me, but certainly not a negative point.

The orbit shifter!!! Wow now that is a fantastic pro sub. I can't see any fault with it. Massive props to JTR on that one.

I think the results are very good for the JTR subwoofers. In their target bandwidth they offer a tremendous amount of output. Very robust looking and the Orbit Shifter comes as pro-audio ready as you could want - wheels and all. :) Sure the designs are missing the extremely deep information during normal operation but that is to be expected because they are folded horns. If you expect the latter that's like getting into a top fuel dragster and wondering why it doesn't get 40mpg when you drive it to pick up groceries. But it sure does kick ass going down the quarter mile! :D

Wow, can't get over how much mid bass that OS pro has.  It's not like it doesn't have any low bass (not LFE obviously), hell it matches a G Horn at 32 hz, which also matches the sealed SI 24 at 32 hz. 

With music this thing must be able to beat the living crap out of your chest.  I was impressed with the Growler but this thing beats it by 10 db's.  I was thinking that someday I'd have to pay someone to build me an Othorn, but it looks like there is no need with this beast available.  

Wow, can't get over how much mid bass that OS pro has.  It's not like it doesn't have any low bass (not LFE obviously), hell it matches a G Horn at 32 hz, which also matches the sealed SI 24 at 32 hz. 

With music this thing must be able to beat the living crap out of your chest.  I was impressed with the Growler but this thing beats it by 10 db's.  I was thinking that someday I'd have to pay someone to build me an Othorn, but it looks like there is no need with this beast available.  

I was actually thinking about buying the OS Pro before I built the Othorns.  However, after the shipping cost of the OS Pro was taken into account, I could build two Othorns for the price of a single OS Pro.

If you get a couple OS Pro's, you better not power them with a weak sauce amp like a CV-5K or iNuke/IPR in stereo or something lame.  That would be a crime to what they're capable of!

• 1 year later...

The Captivator 1400 is completely redesigned for 2017:

New driver with 33mm Xmax for lower distortion and increased output.
New larger port for increased bottomend (+9% more port area than triple 3.5" diameter ports)
New cabinet with improved bracing and damping for lower distortion and better sound quality.
New dsp program with improved "LF adjust" that simulates a sealed sub roll off when turned all the way down.
The new Captivator 1400 outputs over 1db more on the bottomend and will hopefully be tested by Data-Bass in the spring.

Same old price!

Archived