JTR Speakers Measurements and Discussion

Ricci

Jeff, could you chime in about how the driver is able to put out more low end with the same amount of power? The bigger ports mean there is less enclosure volume, so the power requirement should go up, but the old Cap 1400 is already pretty severely power limited. The other way is more motor strength, but the old driver is already very high.

• 3 weeks later...

We modified the cabinet to regain the cabinet volume. With the new driver we had to lower the dcr a little to get the efficiency back that was lost from the longer coil. The, in band, zmin is exactly 2.5 ohms which is the minimum the 700asc module will put out full power.

Jeff, does the cap driver use round or flat wire?

Jeff, does the cap driver use round or flat wire?

We can't give away all our secrets.

Can I ask what's the big deal with round or flat wires? Using round or flat wires make a performance difference? I would think the question I asked about how the Cap is getting more low end output would be a way bigger secret than the type of wire used. I'm not pressuring Jeff to divulge in any way, I'm just wondering how the type of wire could be more secretive than getting more low end output from an already exceptionally optimized system.

Showing off dyno charts is one thing but that isn't going to tell anyone how they got those numbers. Popping the hood of a car isn't going to show the cam profile, compression, squish, rod length, fuel map, etc. We don't discuss magnets and steel grades, motor geometry or voicecoil specs. Someone can pull a driver out and get t/s parameters but they won't know how we got there.

• 2 weeks later...
Sure I understand, the flat (or edge wound) coils (at least from precision econowind) cam really do a number to the part cost. I have typically seen about 8-10% higher L numbers as a result. This of course will raise inductance too, but the advantage here is you don't need to make the gap wider and hurt the B as would be the case with another layer or two of turns to achieve similar results.

Flat seems to be an advantage, but its not night and day and doesn't dictate final performance as Jeff mentioned.

Archived