Can someone do a spec lab of the song Don't Stop the Music by Rihanna?

Archaea

I'm not sure what it is about this song, but it randomly came up on Pandora and it really rocks my house with my eight sealed subs, more so than perhaps any song I can remember in recent history (outside of intention bass/subwoofer type songs).  It immediately made me take notice.

It might be a resonant frequency thing in my room or something, but the repeated thump thump thump with my sealed subs just shakes my room and my projector and my screen unlike anything else I've experienced yet.  It's a very impressive experience and immediately the song went from something that I've heard casually to a must play on my demo track short list.  You feel the weight of the bass line in the core of your body and all through the room.  It just throbs bass!

I'm curious what the spec labs spectrograph charts show as the frequency that this song contains?   Seems to be really lower than I originally would have expected watching the drivers bounce, but more impact fully the way the song interacts with my room room.

Links:

Listen

http://grooveshark.com/#!/search?q=don't%20stop%20the%20music

Amazon purchase (preview is really low quality compared to purchase if you aren't familiar with how Amazon MP3 store works)

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Stop-The-Music/dp/B00114PI3I

Shredhead, thanks for doing that for me!

So help me interpret?  Heaviest bass in the 60-90hz region, but some stuff going on down to 15hz?  hmm, I guess, that’s all it takes, - my driver cones are boogying down, and the room feels like it’s throbbing around them.

From what I've been told about mastering limiters for loudness wars Pop music, -the limiting algorithms boost certain "pleasing" frequencies while attenuating others.  This creates a pocket in the headroom of the disc, -allowing more room for other information where the remaining frequencies are raised to their maximum loudness on export.  That would make the overall presentation very loud in comparison to dynamic source material. 

That being said, I don't really know how the programs work, it's only what I've heard and what I've noticed from many SL's. 

I've noticed that some people like that kind of low end compression and others do not.  It definitely gives the song a certain sound. 

It is unreal listening across multiple genres of music in my theater. I can be maxin' and relaxin' to something like the whiplash movie score one minute, with the volume at a comfortable level around -5, and the next second T-pain and LilJohn come on and I feel like my head is about to explode. The loudness wars basically take my standard listening level down to -25 so that is a 20dB swing between the dynamic type music and the pop loudness wars type stuff....Garbage.

Agreed - I have some classical stuff I can listen to at -3 and get whisper quiet strings leading up to rousing kettle drum crescendos.

Leave it at -3 and put on some modern stuff and I'd blow my windows/eardrums out or get the cops called...

Anytime we make tweaks to the system (which is what seems like constantly) I use the MC SACD Gaucho by Steely Dan to verify results. Old school 2" tape with stunningly high quality production. I can listen to that disc at reference level. That and a few others have been the go-to discs for reference since 2003. They never get old.

Too bad SACD faded away. A guy named Mike Bishop (IIRC) produced for Heads Up/Telarc and did a number of albums that were done for MC surround like Spyro Gyra's stuff. He was laid off at Telarc and along with a few of the other laid off Telarc/Heads Up guys formed 5/4 Productions. If I was till into a band, that's where I'd go to spend my $ to record.

IMO, the MC music field is wide open for a mega-hit disc.

I have a handful of recordings that need playback at "0".  Several of them involve organs or more generally performances in very large spaces, hence my argument about "Interstellar" being practically forced to compromise between holding back the organ and forcing dialog to clip.  I think that in general, the more members of the choir/orchestra/band and the larger the venue, the more dynamic range needed to reproduce it without squishing things.

Then there's the Telarc 1812 overture that doesn't sound loud enough until about +5 or more.  I also have a CD "Best of Kodo", which need a similar playback level.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure what it is about this song, but it randomly came up on Pandora and it really rocks my house with my eight sealed subs, more so than perhaps any song I can remember in recent history (outside of intention bass/subwoofer type songs).  It immediately made me take notice.

PTCyrR5.png

fwiw, what i'm observing that is a little different in that track than most is that the "beat" isn't limited to a one or two frequencies, but seems to be a multi-frequency bassline.

with each beat, there is energy at ~35, ~43, ~55, ~68, ~74, ~83hz and so on.  it also looks like the beats extend in frequency well into the midrange. 

I have a handful of recordings that need playback at "0".  Several of them involve organs or more generally performances in very large spaces, hence my argument about "Interstellar" being practically forced to compromise between holding back the organ and forcing dialog to clip.  I think that in general, the more members of the choir/orchestra/band and the larger the venue, the more dynamic range needed to reproduce it without squishing things.

Then there's the Telarc 1812 overture that doesn't sound loud enough until about +5 or more.  I also have a CD "Best of Kodo", which need a similar playback level.

That 1812 recording sounds interesting...

May I check if it's this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tchaikovsky-Capriccio-Italien-Cossack-Dance/dp/B000003CSG/

or this one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tchaikovsky-Overture-Beethoven-Wellingtons-Victory/dp/B0002IQGYO/

Both look good TBH and I might just get both as they're not that expensive if I buy Used!

Too bad SACD faded away. A guy named Mike Bishop (IIRC) produced for Heads Up/Telarc and did a number of albums that were done for MC surround like Spyro Gyra's stuff. He was laid off at Telarc and along with a few of the other laid off Telarc/Heads Up guys formed 5/4 Productions. If I was till into a band, that's where I'd go to spend my $ to record.

IMO, the MC music field is wide open for a mega-hit disc.

I found this site through an AVS poster's signature the other day:

http://www.sa-cd.net/titles

There does seem to be quite a lot of choice!

That 1812 recording sounds interesting...

May I check if it's this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tchaikovsky-Capriccio-Italien-Cossack-Dance/dp/B000003CSG/

The album I have is neither of those.  The source was supposedly from here:

http://www.amazon.com/Tchaikovsky-Overture-Kunzel-Cincinnati-Multichannel/dp/B00005AVNH

I bought my digital copy from HDTracks.com, so the master must be been converted from DSD to 24-bit/88.2 kHz.  I assume all three of these were from the same recording?  Or are they all different?

Edit: I read the PDF liner notes.  Yes, this version is a different recording.  It looks like the SACD release also featured surround sound!  Now I'm a bit sad that the downloaded version was only in stereo.  In any case, the stereo version is stunning to listen to with probably the best sound stage of any classical recording I have.

Shredhead, thanks for doing that for me!

So help me interpret?  Heaviest bass in the 60-90hz region, but some stuff going on down to 15hz?  hmm, I guess, that’s all it takes, - my driver cones are boogying down, and the room feels like it’s throbbing around them.

Not sure if you'll see this reply.

Jon, I forget if that Omnimic was your own? If so, run this track again and at a level that impresses you. Run the RTA on the Omnimic while you're listening and see what's going on.

Archived