Using HPF or not

Berdelsan

Hello guys

I have built two sealed DIY subwoofers around 135 liters with 15" dayton ultimax drivers powered with an inuke 3000DSP that i am very pleased with. I use them in my small dedicated home cinema with brick walls and around 14 square meters.

I am currently experimenting with different settings in order to achieve optimal performance. I have been told just to set the HPF to the lowest possible on the inuke which is 20hz but also that i can turn it off completely if i use sealed boxes.

Here is the measured difference with HPF on and off

post-1683-0-01190000-1427794662_thumb.jpg

As you can see, I can make it allmost flat down to 10hz but i assume that this is also very hard on the amp and taking headroom. As mentioned earlier, this is a very small room with brick walls so i assume that i am getting a lot of free room gain.

Do you have reccomendations on how to set the HPF?

If you wil test the limits of these drivers regularly and will threaten the mechanical tolerances, then I would recommend the HPF. I really need to get the 7.1 Audio Test Disc made, as it would allow you to more safely check things like this.

If you listen at reasonable levels, with no bad noises from the drivers and do not clip the amps, then I would leave the HPF off. There is much to be had below 20Hz.

JSS

Hi JSS and thanks for your answer

I don't hear any bad noises comming from the drivers however the amp clip light is comming on - the red also lights up with lower volume. Here i am -5 db from reference playing hurt locker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjpxpd4uCkc

The manual states that if it lights continuously then the volume needs to be lowered, so i am unsure if i am driving it too hard 

The clip lights show clipping on the inputs, not the outputs, if I understand it correctly?

In which case you just need to reduce the AVR SW Out trim until it stops clipping at the amp's input, and then you can turn the gain knob up on the amp to bring the volume up again. (Again, if I understand it correctly.)

The signal level lights and clip/limit lights are controlled and sensed after the DSP, which is after the volume pots. 

So it would not matter how you adjust signal in avr or input pots,  all that matters is signal strength inside inuke post DSP. 

I guess that would be post volume pots on the non DSP version... 

The second vid show clipping on the output. Gains are set too high on the amp. You need more system if you want to go louder, how does the HPF engaged change the second vid? If it does not clip the outputs with the HPF engaged, the either turn the gain down or leave the gain as is and engage the HPF.

JSS

Archived