1. 1. Execution?

• 5 Stars
    • 4 Stars
    • 3 Stars
    • 2 Stars
    • 1 Star
  2. 2. Recommendation?

Exodus: Gods and Kings (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (109.24dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.36dB)

Execution - 5 Stars (by poll)

Overall     -  4.5 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

Notes:  Mixed by the same guy who did Star Trek (2009), the sound design is very well articulated, but subtle.  There's nothing even approaching clipping in the whole movie, nor is it soft/hard limited.  It's a nice, fairly clean mix (unlike the upcoming 30Hz blockbuster that everyone's raving about because it's so loud). 

The graphs don't lie - this one's got the goods down low, too.  What's weird is there is a TON of medium level content below 10Hz that is skillfully used to build the mood.  It really imparts power.  The same sound designer who worked on Captain Phillips must have brought a lot of that library over, because it's excellent.  The movie is ho-hum but the sound is good.

PvA:

post-17-0-77882900-1427338978.png

I bought this BR immediately because it will have the distinction of being the only movie ever dedicated to Tony Scott by his brother, Ridley Scott... 2 of my favorite directors of all time.

There are several scenes with ULF only that I'll likely graph when I get a chance and I'd like to see the movie again before voting, but the first impression is positive. Ancient Egypt, the world's first super power, has always fascinated me and still does.

The Hebrew Scriptures book Exodus contains a LOT of info that scholars have debated for centuries and is certainly a difficult task to be able to condense it into a feature film. I'm sure the experts will pick this one apart while the average heathen will know nothing about the literary and historical accuracies debate and just be rating another movie.

In the meanwhile, here are 5 scenes that show good MWB content:

7c12dc9b4ee67317629b6ad46bd56d5f.png

here's an animation of the comparison of my system mic'd at the seats vs the digital stream from the SW output of the OPPO 105:

e06e31b3fdcd4fdc716b49f54a3e02c0.gif

Yeah, this one is def unfiltered. :P:o

Hard as hades to get that last few Hz into the subs. Notice that at the beginning of the chapter (this cap is most of chapter 11), there is ULF only, from 3-20 Hz with the emphasis on the lowest band. Just wobble, no audible bass. Awesome. :)

The audio in this was outstanding IMO. Lots of detail and brilliantly done. The bass is also excellent but not in a gratuitous way, sort of like an iron fist in a velvet glove. It's not laid on thick but is so clean and immersive. It's this reason I'm giving it five stars, not because there's lots of it but because what's there is uncorrupted with a couple of excellent demo scenes.  

Couldn't see Bosso's graph at work (stupid internet restrictions...) so had a look at home - I can't wait to test this one out, I predict that opening scene with only <20Hz content will have owners of ported subs with 20Hz HPFs going "What's the big deal?  There's nothing there?", which will cue another internet argument of the point of <20Hz... :lol: lol

Couldn't see Bosso's graph at work (stupid internet restrictions...) so had a look at home - I can't wait to test this one out, I predict that opening scene with only <20Hz content will have owners of ported subs with 20Hz HPFs going "What's the big deal?  There's nothing there?", which will cue another internet argument of the point of <20Hz... :lol: lol

20hz? You're talking about 20hz? 20hz.....

9013775-large.jpg

I loaned it for a monitor amp to my church. Theirs blew. I do all their sound. Ordered them a replacement and it showed up used and not working properly. I did watch Exodus without it though. So only 4/6 subs working. Still sounded great. I gave it a 4 rating in this thread but I really wonder if I should have voted without my other subs going. They really anchor the system. I'll re-vote later if I can.

• 4 weeks later...

Watched this last night with my wife.  I loved the sound and bass in this one!!  Some great low stuff - would have missed it if not for the Crowson.  I got that nice wobbly/uncomfortable (in a good way) feeling a number of times.  Good stuff.  

• 2 years later...
On 3/25/2015 at 8:03 PM, nube said:

Exodus: Gods and Kings (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (109.24dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.36dB)

Execution - 5 Stars (by poll)

Overall     -  4.5 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

Notes:  Mixed by the same guy who did Star Trek (2009), the sound design is very well articulated, but subtle.  There's nothing even approaching clipping in the whole movie, nor is it soft/hard limited.  It's a nice, fairly clean mix (unlike the upcoming 30Hz blockbuster that everyone's raving about because it's so loud). 

The graphs don't lie - this one's got the goods down low, too.  What's weird is there is a TON of medium level content below 10Hz that is skillfully used to build the mood.  It really imparts power.  The same sound designer who worked on Captain Phillips must have brought a lot of that library over, because it's excellent.  The movie is ho-hum but the sound is good.

PvA:

post-17-0-77882900-1427338978.png

nube,

What happened to the graph for Exodus: Gods and Kings?

I'm only seeing the thumbnail which is the actual size it's seen on the page.

I know this discussion is closed, but it also appears that way in the regular bass frequency thread with all of the movies in it as well.

Archived