MiniDSP U-Dac8

chrapladm

http://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/u-dac8

u-dac8-thb.png

http://www.minidsp.com/products/ht-series/nanoavr-hda

nanoavr-hda.png

While I dont know all the specs on these two devices I am very curious about what their limits are. They can be daisy chained for more outputs I believe. I was looking at using a Motu device which has quite a powerful DSP and many other features that are nice for the pro audio world. I will be using JRiver for most of my XO duties and what knot. SO I saw this as a possible cheaper option then the Motu.

Just curious what your thoughts were Maxmercy, Nube and others.

I just went to have a listen to a possible 3 way DIY speaker I may build myself. BUT the owner is very much into pro audio and has many electronics that I will never be able to afford. After leaving his place I felt a lot poorer than usual. He had stacks of Powersoft K6's and K10's. Dual Lake processors for his setups and many other things I cant look at.

I myself would like to have a possible 16 channels of outputs but have to start some where. So these new MiniDSP products are very interesting. I would use these for both outdoor audio and indoor. Would just have different settings to load is all. Seems easy enough, thoughts?

As far as I can see, the only thing the udac offers, for a budget usb interface, over the behringer fca-1616 (which is cheaper & also provides inputs/mic pres for measurement purposes) seems to be size (and it's not a crazy red colour). i.e. it's amenable to being used alongside a tiny htpc like a nuc.

I just went to have a listen to a possible 3 way DIY speaker I may build myself. BUT the owner is very much into pro audio and has many electronics that I will never be able to afford. After leaving his place I felt a lot poorer than usual. He had stacks of Powersoft K6's and K10's. Dual Lake processors for his setups and many other things I cant look at.

That wouldn't happen to be the guy with the big DIY build thread over at SoundForum would it?

That wouldn't happen to be the guy with the big DIY build thread over at SoundForum would it?

Yep thats the one. Was able to go over to his place and have a listen for a while. Not ideal by any means in a small backyard with neighbors close by but good enough. The other alternative was to build a 2 way design by DJK that is much bigger. SO while Peters, Sound Forum, design is more expensive it is much smaller. And for once someone in a forum was from where I am located. :D

I dont know about the FR of the Behringer but miniDSP has been pretty good at being flat to ULF. But maybe the berry is also. I was just looking at alternatives. I am new at pro audio. My only real experience with pro audio is using some of the stuff for my home theater.

I dont know about the FR of the Behringer but miniDSP has been pretty good at being flat to ULF. But maybe the berry is also. I was just looking at alternatives. I am new at pro audio. My only real experience with pro audio is using some of the stuff for my home theater.

yeah that's an unknown, the spec just says +0/-3 from 10Hz to 22kHz (so that's probably not a good sign in favour of the Behringer)

The biggest problem I see so far with the minidsp nano is that it needs to be rack mountable.  Even thick hdmi cables from BJC can make it move so having 8 analog cables will make it fall over.  I do love the 96khz processing from it.  I use the nano to outlaw right now but that product could make both obsolete. 

I do believe you can get rack ears for this unit. I think I read that some where. Does the Berry have a built in DSP?

If not thats a plus for this also. Not really needed for my purpose with Jriver but another plus for the mini units.

I do believe you can get rack ears for this unit. I think I read that some where. Does the Berry have a built in DSP?

If not thats a plus for this also. Not really needed for my purpose with Jriver but another plus for the mini units.

all the processing is on the PC, the audio device is the preamp/DAC in this situation. The 1616 is as simple as it comes AFAIK, not even a mixer app for software routing/loopback. Isn't the udac just a preamp/dac as well? the product page doesn't mention the usual plugins etc.

Archived