Subwoofer rattle/8Ohm,4Ohm or 2Ohm wiring best?

Aj72

I have a slight cabinet rattle in one of my subs. What's the best way to rectify it and what type of glue is best to use? I've braced the cabinet on the exterior with a ratchet/strap which made the rattle go away in the past but looks s... Also I have my subs (Passive 2400 JTR Captivators) wired for 8Ohm. Would 4Ohm be better? I have had them wired for 2Ohm but didn't feel it was as good (may be imaginig this!) and the heat generated from the power draw wasn't great either.

I recall reading something (on AVS??) about 8Ohm being better ('tighter', 'punchier', if not actually as loud in volume) because of increased damping factor.  I'm running my 4x18s at 2Ohm and they seem perfectly fine to me, though :D lol

I suppose some amps may not like lower impedances as much as others, but when I switched from 4ohm drivers to 1ohm, I didn't notice any difference in SQ.  Actually the opposite, where the 1ohm driver had the edge in "punchiness" over the 4ohm driver.  

You can use REW's generator to find the frequency that most excites the rattle and then see if you can hear where the problem is.  Be careful with the sine waves not to go crazy with over-excursion and don't leave one on for minutes at a time till you melt a coil.  When you find where the rattle is coming from maybe some pics might help us to come up with a solution.

If you noticed a difference in sound when at 2 ohms, that might have been from some kind of output limiter on the amp.  Are you able to drive your speakers to xmax at 8ohms? 

I'm yet to find Xmax I think but I must have come pretty close. I think my Crown xls 5000 would do it but the Behringer EP4000 wouldn't as I've seen clips lights come on hard. Never seen the Crowns though. The content around port tune (17.5Hz) which moves the driver the most is when I notice the cabinet rattle. By placing my hands on either side of the cabinet and applying pressure I found the rattle went away. I'm just a bit hesitant pulling the damn driver out as its a bit of a task but if I've got a bit of a plan, the right glue, I'll do it.

Archived