Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax DVC Subwoofer

Archaea

Interesting looking driver. A glance at the specs suggests that it looks a bit light when I compare motor force to cone area.

Should work fine in a sealed box, not sure it will be a good fit in higher-order alignments though. 

I'm interested in all of the information that you can't get from looking at T/S parameters though - like motor linearity and suspension symmetry, distortion behavior, and mechanical clearances.

Hope that you do get one to play with Josh, interested in some real-world data and impressions.

Same here Mike...I want to know coil overhang, mechanical clearances, Klippel data, etc...The MMS on this thing calculated out to 641 grams which is HEAVY so sensitivity will be really low up top. Motor force isn't bad at about 135 normalized but combined with the huge mms I doubt it will be suitable for any real loading on it without a giant cab. Mark mentioned over at AVS that the 22mm xmax is not the coil overhang. I was really hoping it was.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

At this point if Rory at P.E. is still dodging you I'm starting to get suspicious they don't want it tested, and if they don't want it tested that can't be good right?

I've been pretty pleased with my eight, and lukeamdman said that pennynike's eight in his terraform were pretty darn durable and impressive in the ported variant of Seaton's design.  So it is vexing.

The thing is at this point I don't want to "buy" drivers to test. I still do of course but only the ones I would be interested in keeping or using myself. I have bought a lot of the drivers tested for DB and I always take a healthy loss on them when I try to resell them.

• 8 months later...

Archived