First go @ REW with my 4520

Rowan611

16432342310_7982bf6b33_z.jpg

Red is the 4520 in Direct mode. This wasn't my first sweep; however, it was the first sweep in Direct. So, this was a surprise, to me. Now I wonder how my 3808 was affected by being in Direct mode when @lukeamdman was over helping the other night.

Blue is with the 4520 in Stereo mode. Much better, very similar to my first sweep.

Green is with the 4520 in Stereo mode w/ Dynamic EQ on. I though I've read that Dynamic EQ should be off? Not according to my sweeps.

15997163684_2837b411b7_z.jpg

As the title of the capture says, sweeps at my 3 listening positions

Red is the MLP

Blue is the left chair

Green is the right chair

Green and Red are similar, but I prefer Red.

15997171954_303858b39c_z.jpg

Sub only. Except the colors are not the same as the last one.

Red is the left

Green is the MLP

Blue is the right

Overall I have to say that I'm impressed. I was very surprised when I did my first sweep. Luke, thank you for the nudge to finally buy a laptop to do this, for taking the time to show me how and come up to my house and help me get my system squared away.  Over the last several days I've learned a lot. I'm still learning REW, I'm sure it does a lot more than room sweeps, LOL. I'll read the how to use REW thread on HTS and AVS to see how else I can get this software to improve my theater sound. All this and I haven't even watched a movie with the 4520 yet. LOL :rolleyes:

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Also, these were taken with the volume at -20 and sub set to -2. Just like Luke and I did on Thursday.

Do you have ported subwoofers?

And it is amazes me how much it did going from Red to Blue and then Green. I am curious how much more strain that much EQ does on amps and everything else. You are using your 4520 so nor worries for main channels but curious about the amount of excursion boost this provides to your subwoofer.

I have never had a problem on my subwoofers when doing this but HAVE always wondered about this. I know DL EQ's by mainly cutting and lowers the level completely. Maybe Audyssey does this also. IDK Will wait to hear from Maxmercy. He would know best.

Going off my memory, which is horrible, I think dynamic EQ adjusts the LFE volume relative to the master volume.  I think it actually raises the volume of the bass as the volume decreases and vice versa.

If true, your low end response will actually flatten as you increase the volume, rather than the entire frequency range rising equally.  

It appears that Audyssey is trying to fill in suckouts, which can eat up headroom very quickly, and can become dangerous to equipment just as quickly.  It is usually not advisable to fill in cancellations like that.

To see what Audyssey is doing, turn your MV down to -30, and do a sweep straight from the SW out with direct mode on and off.  

As far as measuring for the first time:

1490ff023ac62f215a12a2b022b4cb6da9e29356

JSS

Run HDMI out from laptop to processor.  Measure SW out into line/mic into laptop, but turn down MV another 10dB and use a -10dB sweep in order not to clip the input on the soundcard.  Run it with direct mode (or Audyssey Off), and with Audyssey On.  Then you can see what Audyssey is doing.  Those big suckouts should not have been filled in that much, it could be taxing the signal chain.

JSS 

Run HDMI out from laptop to processor.  Measure SW out into line/mic into laptop, but turn down MV another 10dB and use a -10dB sweep in order not to clip the input on the soundcard.  Run it with direct mode (or Audyssey Off), and with Audyssey On.  Then you can see what Audyssey is doing.  Those big suckouts should not have been filled in that much, it could be taxing the signal chain.

JSS 

Ok, I'm still not sure I understand. Problem is my laptop only has an output for headphones. Don't think I can use that. And just see if I do understand; you want me to run a cable from the SW out on the receiver to a line/mic input on the laptop? Sorry, I'm sure I'm sounding like a complete dunce here. If I do that the sub won't play.....right? Again, I'm sorry for silly questions. Please, bear with me.

sub%20only%20test_2.jpg

Red is sub only in Direct/Pure mode

Blue is PLII Cinema mode

Green is PLII Music mode

sub%20only%20test%202.jpg

Red is same as above

Blue is Audyssey turned off via the menu

Purple is Audyssey on + Dynamic Eq

Teal (I guess) is PLII, Audyssey turned off via the menu

I know this isn't exactly what you were asking me to do Max, but seeing as I don't think I can (right now), this will have to do. I just disconnected my L/C/R to run these tests. It was done @ -30 on th AVR. I think I need an external soundcard to run the tests correctly.

While those graphs in general look good, compared to the big dips seen earlier, I wonder what is happening to the signal/headroom of the system.  You will need an external soundcard it seems....or.....

Let's face it.  If you will not be running within 10dB of reference and not be running your subs hot, sometimes ignorance is actually bliss.  Audyssey does a pretty good job most of the time, especially if a system is not run near its limits.

JSS

While those graphs in general look good, compared to the big dips seen earlier, I wonder what is happening to the signal/headroom of the system. You will need an external soundcard it seems....or.....

Let's face it. If you will not be running within 10dB of reference and not be running your subs hot, sometimes ignorance is actually bliss. Audyssey does a pretty good job most of the time, especially if a system is not run near its limits.

JSS

I do run my sub hot, Audyssey set it at -11 and I run it around -2. That big dip is due to my mains I believe, they have terrible response in my room. I will do some sweeps with just them today to confirm. And, I'll look into that external soundcard, because I'm curious and woukd like to learn.

I have a couple Behringer UCA202 USB sound cards if you want to borrow one.  

Sweet. Thanks Luke! I'll have to swing on down. Hey, guess that means I get to see those AE18's in person. :D

Just picked up Whiplash and BH6 today. Hoping for some good stuff from both, especially BH6. I watched Super Speedway last night and some of TF2. Man, I really like the sound of this receiver. No more NAD. Plus is actually passes the video through, without making the picture a dark mess like the 3808 did. So, no more having to switch TV inputs. Also, it's much more flexible.

Sweet. Thanks Luke! I'll have to swing on down. Hey, guess that means I get to see those AE18's in person. :D

Just picked up Whiplash and BH6 today. Hoping for some good stuff from both, especially BH6. I watched Super Speedway last night and some of TF2. Man, I really like the sound of this receiver. No more NAD. Plus is actually passes the video through, without making the picture a dark mess like the 3808 did. So, no more having to switch TV inputs. Also, it's much more flexible.

Nice!  Glad it's working out.  

Well I'm wondering if there is still something not right with my system, because if there isn't, Big Hero 6 is hit or miss audio wise. Great movie, good use of all 7 channels, but LFE was mostly unimpressive. I'm really hoping it's just below what my THT can do. I'm going to throw in Battle LA or Oblivion and see if it sounds right.

Archived