John Wick - Discussion & Poll - CLOSED

nube

John Wick  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Execution?

2. 2. Recommendation?

John Wick (7.1 TrueHD)

Level        - 3 Stars (109.38dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.5dB)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 4.25 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

Notes:  Very solid bass.  Nothing demo worthy, but just generally good.  Movie was OK.  Loved the scenes in the hotel and nightclub.

PvA:

post-17-0-50020100-1423014003.png

<_< I'm the only 5 star rating so far :blink: this was bang up good bass feast with superb dynamics ! I rented this and it only contained the DD 5.1 track do to the LG rental thing but non the less its a year leader reminiscent of CATWS as far as bass variations. This baby did some things of its on that was completely shocking at times.

definite 5 and buy 

<_< I'm the only 5 star rating so far :blink: this was bang up good bass feast with superb dynamics ! I rented this and it only contained the DD 5.1 track do to the LG rental thing but non the less its a year leader reminiscent of CATWS as far as bass variations. This baby did some things of its on that was completely shocking at times.

definite 5 and buy 

I'm going to rewatch. I had just re-run Audyssey and didn't adjust my settings until almost all the way through. I thought it sounded off, but didn't connect the dots :rolleyes::angry::wacko:

The music droning was super cool. With my surrounds, I really felt in certain camera pans that there was a dance club behind my theater room. Super cool. I gotta be honest, I loved this movie. I know KR isn't the greatest actor, but he showed some decency in this one. The beginning I hated, for obvious reasons. I watched this and then the equalizer back to back last night and came out of my theater with a general hatred of Russian mobsters. It was quite odd my emotions last night as I went to bed...

The music droning was super cool. With my surrounds, I really felt in certain camera pans that there was a dance club behind my theater room. Super cool. I gotta be honest, I loved this movie. I know KR isn't the greatest actor, but he showed some decency in this one. The beginning I hated, for obvious reasons. I watched this and then the equalizer back to back last night and came out of my theater with a general hatred of Russian mobsters. It was quite odd my emotions last night as I went to bed...

I loved this one two B. Funny you said back to back as I put on a walk among the Tombstones after this one. No bass in that one. I rarely watch two in a row. 

I loved this movie also. My wife and daughter hated it, but I thought it was great. Great audio all around but I cannot give it a 5. 

Finally got to watch this last night and really enjoyed it. The bass was fantastic. Despite this I gave it 4 stars. I felt that in some cases they over did it. Ya, I shouldn't complain about that, but does every body slam have to shake the room? I dunno, that distracts me. It reminded me of TDKR in that sense. Every single punch comes with a whoomf rather than a crunch. I found equalizer to have a more realistic sense in that regard. I keep asking myself if this was better than equaliser. I really think John Wick was a better bass feast, but the sound design altogether was better in equalizer. I gave both 4 stars.

As for the movie itself, I thought equalizer had a much better villain. He was downright slick, scary, and menacing. I also liked how Denzel took out his enemies in a very thoughtful and simple way without any waste. In some cases you didn't even see him work, like when he took the axe from home depot and then you just see him wipe it down and return it to the shelf. You just know he destroyed someone. John Wick was equally entertaining, but he made sure to put two bullets in the head of every enemy in his path. I did appreciate his desire for revenge and his I don't care attitude. But he was more brawn than brains. I did appreciate they showed some weakness with him getting beat up and wounded now and again, rather than be untouchable.

I gotta say, when John Wick used that massive gun to take out the SUV after he was nearly sufficated... that was an awesome scene. The bass made my whole room wobble and it fit very nicely with the power the sound team tried to convey with that gun, the car crash, his body movement from the kickback etc. Very nice scene.

• 2 weeks later...

I've really been off the mark lately with the sentiments here and this film was no exception. I liked a couple of scenes but nothing outrageously good. I am still wondering if somethings not quite right? I only gave this three but a solid three. Club scene was pretty good but that sniper couldn't shoot the side of a barn!

Edit: Just returned to my MIC2200 and ditched the miniDSP for now. Found that I hadn't reset the omnimic calibration once moved into our new place. The new result I've generated is much better so I disregard the votes for this and Expendables 3 but I can't put myself through watching either again.

• 1 month later...

I've not watched this one in my own room yet, but I've watched it twice now and it was very enjoyable both times.

The club scene in carp's room was perhaps the best bass I've ever experienced on any system anywhere.

The gunfire, the fighting --- all super enjoyable.  The volume level was at probably about -10dB with the subs just under 20dB hot.  (ridiculous I know - but a LOT of fun - and very clean).  My pant legs were fluttering on any gunshot, anywhere in the room.  I really like the laid back song when he first enters the club too.

Does the callout function work here like it does at avsforum?

@carp

I've not watched this one in my own room yet, but I've watched it twice now and it was very enjoyable both times.

The club scene in carp's room was perhaps the best bass I've ever experienced on any system anywhere.

The gunfire, the fighting --- all super enjoyable.  The volume level was at probably about -10dB with the subs just under 20dB hot.  (ridiculous I know - but a LOT of fun - and very clean).  My pant legs were fluttering on any gunshot, anywhere in the room.  I really like the laid back song when he first enters the club too.

Does the callout function work here like it does at avsforum?

@carp

Wow, something finally trumped the dual orbit shifters from 2012?

Archived