• Captain Phillips
    • Rush
    • All is Lost
    • Ender's Game
    • Captain America - The Winter Soldier
    • Need for Speed
    • The Equalizer
    • Pompeii

Of all the ones I've seen on that list, I'm surprised Captain America is winning, and by such a large margin. It was good, but not as good as EofT in my opinion. I voted for Rush. Certainly Lone Survivor was making me think twice. My love of fast cars won it over I think, or I'd have gone Lone Survivor. In fact just sitting here thinking about it... haha. Both were soooo good.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After a lot of thought, I finally decided.  Edge of Tomorrow gets my vote - it's just an all-around monster, and how could I not vote for one of the few true 5-Star movies in existence? 

My second choice was Rush.  The bass and overall racecar/track effects were shockingly good in this, and I love, Love, LOVED it.

My third choice was CATWS.  It's really good, but it just didn't make the grade for me...not quite as impressive as the other two.

After a lot of thought, I finally decided.  Edge of Tomorrow gets my vote - it's just an all-around monster, and how could I not vote for one of the few true 5-Star movies in existence? 

My second choice was Rush.  The bass and overall racecar/track effects were shockingly good in this, and I love, Love, LOVED it.

My third choice was CATWS.  It's really good, but it just didn't make the grade for me...not quite as impressive as the other two.

I think we have very similar tastes :D

I voted Edge.  Yeah I know, everyone wants loud 30hz stuff which I like too but this had lots of great executed low stuff.  Imagine a movie that played every action scene like the opening sequence!  The reality is we would be crying uncle and be fatigued but I would give it a shot. 

I gave my vote to EOT, having watched it tonight.  I'm note voting at all on the basis of the opening square waves, which I turned my system down to -15 for to keep my house and subs from blowing up.  If I want to listen to square waves, I can generate them myself.  The rest of the movie sounded great at -6 and definitely edged out CATWS for me.  I think Xmen and CATWS might take runner up.  I'm sure someone will laugh, but I thought HTTYD2 at least deserved to be on the list.  I liked the sound design a lot and was surprised at how much bass I heard, relative to how it measured.

Over the last couple weeks I have gone through and watched most of these films again to try and come to a decision. I finally settled on EOT because it had the most demanding bass scene on my system of the year, the rest of the soundtrack was very good, and scored a true 5 star on the best movie bass rating/ranking system. 

Rewatched Enders Game and must say if it falls within 2014 I would almost give it the best. Some very powerful, dynamic scenes in this. Like the Oscars the films released early are rarely remembered. Definitely makes my top three along with CATWS and EOT.

• 4 weeks later...

Just watched Edge of tomorrow again and I could almost give it my best it was better than I remembered it the first time. Very clean and powerful scenes in this. I think when I watched it the first time my levels were a bit lower and I was even more impressed this time around. Sorted out my EQ issues too which has helped. Somewhat surprisingly I had to push the gains up a bit to dig it out though. Given that it's level was rated five doesn't this mean it should be louder (obviously opening scene does NOT need to be boosted!)?

• 1 month later...

Long time lurker here.  I just started a new subwoofer company and need some good test scenes.  Last year's thread had some good recommendations for best subwoofer demo scenes of 2013.  What are some of the best scenes for demoing subs from the 2014 movies?  I've been so busy with starting the new company that I've been playing with subs but not watching many movies so would definitely appreciate the recommendations.  Thanks.

David

Archived