The Expendables 3:

DD 5.1

Level - 4 Stars (110.46dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.03dB)
Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall -     4.5 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

LionsGate is at it again with only Dolby Digital for the rental copy.  Cheapskates.

post-20-0-18812100-1417976308.jpg

TrueHD 7.1

Level        - 4 Stars (111.59dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (9.6Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.97dB)

post-17-0-84790000-1422213786.png

JSS

post-17-0-84790000-1422213786_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know about Expendables 3, but I watched the Atmos track on TMNT using my older non-Atmos Denon with 5.1, and it worked fine.  Actually, it worked better than fine as I noticed distinct phantom images from above and more sophisticated panning on my 5.1 system.  I'm wondering if the whole Atmos track is matrixed down into the 7.1 track that gets decoded by the destination hardware?  This may be essentially a PLIII technology, but it may be very well implemented.  The imaging I heard is comparable to my local premium Atmos theater.  The overheads are still better in the theater and as they probably are in a real home Atmos system.  Ironically, I really didn't like the sound design, and I especially hated the movie (TMNT).

Anyone else watch the Atmos track (even on a good 5.1/7.1 system) and notice what I describe?

Killer bass track on this one.....WOW! Might be better than WS overall, but at worst is #2 for me on best bass tracks in 2014 I would say.

Only issue I had is the random dropouts using my Oppo93 to bitstream the Atmos track which is a well known issue with some players and Oppo has already said there will be no fix for older players like my 93. Next watch in order to prevent the random dropouts, I am just going to decode the Atmos track (I just get the 7.1 True HD core as I am not setup for Atmos yet) in the 93 and send as LPCM. I am just curious what (if any) the overall master volume difference will be doing this vs bitstreaming? I watched at -1 last night bitstreaming and want to find this exact same volume level when decoding in the 93 and sending the LPCM. I will probably just pull out the SPL meter to figure it out unless there is some easy way to tell otherwise?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This was a strange one for me. The first thirty minutes lacked any impact and had to boost an enormous amount. Actually threw another disc in to check everything was okay. After half an hour things came alive a bit but didn't ever get excited by anything in this. Some good moments but nothing great. I was waiting for something to grab me given a lot of people rate the bass in this am I missing something cause I thought it was pretty average.

This was a strange one for me. The first thirty minutes lacked any impact and had to boost an enormous amount. Actually threw another disc in to check everything was okay. After half an hour things came alive a bit but didn't ever get excited by anything in this. Some good moments but nothing great. I was waiting for something to grab me given a lot of people rate the bass in this am I missing something cause I thought it was pretty average.

Interesting. The first part of the movie damn near blew me off the couch! Maybe the TrueHD enabled the night mode/DRC setting in your setup?

Yeah I'm wondering myself if it's something going on in my setup as I now use a mini DSP for sub EQ and this was the first full movie I've watched. Mind you everything is sounding excellent since the mini DSP EQ was done but maybe something not quite right? Anyhow I played another reference scene just after Expendables to see if everything ok (Hulk vs Abomination, Tron Legacy bikes) and everything sounded great. However just noticed slightly audible white noise from one sub which carries to main listening position which I hadn't noticed before.... Aaaarrrgghh this hobby sometimes drives me nuts!

I don't think so. Content under 2hz is pretty irrelevant for even the most die hard 'basshead'.

I'd rather have Atmos anyway over a lossy 5.1 mix with more <3hz content.

Thanks bud but for folks with 5.1 setup don't you think the DD sound should similar to the Atmos encode?

Archived