Luke's Gjallarhorn/Othorn Discussion

lukeamdman

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I do like the center as well, how does it sound compared to the big boys?

I haven't noticed any "tonal" changes between the 3, so for movies/blu-ray concerts I think it sounds just fine.  I barely put 20 minutes into tuning it, which was mostly just getting the CD flat from 1-16khz close mic and then level matching with the 15".  I'm sure there's room for improvement, but it'll have to wait until after the GTG this weekend.  

Hey guys, this is my first time posting here. I have some goof off time at work so I figured why not. I've never really been a bass guy (I have subs and they work at the levels I listen at), but Luke's "dungeon of doom" has ruined me.....in a good way! I can't even explain how insane this setup is. Time to step up my subwoofage......headroom is a good thing!

A couple comments about horn foam and the horns. I've used the foam on a couple horns and in my experience the right foam only gives a high shelf -2 or 3dB in the top octaves depending on the depth of foam used. Also, if you leave the face of the foam flat (the part you see in the mouth) it will attenuate more off axis and narrow the pattern up high due to the longer path length through the foam. The foam will not fix any irregularities in the response iirc.......I need to look back at my data. If you look at Geddes' speakers you can see he cuts the face of the foam convex to equalize the path length.

Like tux, I noticed that the throat in the big SEOS looked funny but couldn't figure out why. Thinking about it this morning I remember reading that Auto-tech makes the throat elongated in the fg horns then trims it to the cd exit diameter. Idk if that's true, but it looks to me like the big SEOS was designed for a 2" exit driver and they left the throat long to fit the 1.4". That is not the way to do it (if that's the case). The 1.4 exit would need a different mold completely.

That said they do sound quite good! The foam might help some. The Swiss Tropics/Poret foam guy is actually local to me in Rochester MN. I prefer to use the foam in my waveguides.

Hey guys, this is my first time posting here. I have some goof off time at work so I figured why not. I've never really been a bass guy (I have subs and they work at the levels I listen at), but Luke's "dungeon of doom" has ruined me.....in a good way! I can't even explain how insane this setup is. Time to step up my subwoofage......headroom is a good thing!

A couple comments about horn foam and the horns. I've used the foam on a couple horns and in my experience the right foam only gives a high shelf -2 or 3dB in the top octaves depending on the depth of foam used. Also, if you leave the face of the foam flat (the part you see in the mouth) it will attenuate more off axis and narrow the pattern up high due to the longer path length through the foam. The foam will not fix any irregularities in the response iirc.......I need to look back at my data. If you look at Geddes' speakers you can see he cuts the face of the foam convex to equalize the path length.

Like tux, I noticed that the throat in the big SEOS looked funny but couldn't figure out why. Thinking about it this morning I remember reading that Auto-tech makes the throat elongated in the fg horns then trims it to the cd exit diameter. Idk if that's true, but it looks to me like the big SEOS was designed for a 2" exit driver and they left the throat long to fit the 1.4". That is not the way to do it (if that's the case). The 1.4 exit would need a different mold completely.

That said they do sound quite good! The foam might help some. The Swiss Tropics/Poret foam guy is actually local to me in Rochester MN. I prefer to use the foam in my waveguides.

Haha!  Glad you enjoyed the subs!

I'm not sure if they make the SEOS-24 in a 2" version.  I've only seen 1.4" and 1.5", but those were the only ones being offered by DIYSG.  They very well might be a 2" version and DIYSG just doesn't carry it.  

I'm even more curious now what the response difference at LP is with new EQ settings vs. old with no gate. The next time you're tweaking some sweeps grab me a screen cap please.

I just realized I never got this for you!

Here's the old (red) vs. new on the front row.  Those settings in red made a flat response on the back row previously, but the new furniture is taller for the front row, and I don't have a seat where I used to sit and measure from back there!

capture_zpsyae34ppj.jpg

What's the resolution there Luke, 1/6 octave? Is that an eq'd response from the lp or is that just what you came up with for eq from the gated measurement? IF that is an in room measurement with no eq other than the speaker eq of the gated data then that is FREAKISHLY flat for an in room response. I suppose being a front row measurement and being fairly close to those big waveguides will do that.

Thanks again for the gtg......it got me motivated to fix some things in my system that I'd been putting off for some time 

I just realized I never got this for you!

Here's the old (red) vs. new on the front row.  Those settings in red made a flat response on the back row previously, but the new furniture is taller for the front row, and I don't have a seat where I used to sit and measure from back there!

capture_zpsyae34ppj.jpg

Looks good man.  Is the green taken with a regular window in REW or with the 8ms gate on it? 

What's the resolution there Luke, 1/6 octave? Is that an eq'd response from the lp or is that just what you came up with for eq from the gated measurement? IF that is an in room measurement with no eq other than the speaker eq of the gated data then that is FREAKISHLY flat for an in room response. I suppose being a front row measurement and being fairly close to those big waveguides will do that.

Thanks again for the gtg......it got me motivated to fix some things in my system that I'd been putting off for some time 

Looks good man.  Is the green taken with a regular window in REW or with the 8ms gate on it? 

That was taken from the front row center seat, which is ~9ft from the speakers.  1/6th smoothing and no gating in REW.  

All EQ was applied from measurements taken at 2ft with 8ms gating.  No EQ applied from measurements taken from the LP.  

I know the feeling!  Every time I visit another HT I end up making changes to mine.  

The GTG had a great turn out this year, and we had plenty of material to play with.  I need to get you and Mike over to hear my latest EQ settings on the mains.  

That was taken from the front row center seat, which is ~9ft from the speakers.  1/6th smoothing and no gating in REW.  

All EQ was applied from measurements taken at 2ft with 8ms gating.  No EQ applied from measurements taken from the LP.  

Looks pretty flat at listening position with no gate.  Couldn't you have EQ'd it from there with no gate and gotten the same result +/-1dB?  I guess I don't understand the difference in EQ filters you apply at 2ft with the gate unless you put different EQ's on L and R. 

Looks pretty flat at listening position with no gate.  Couldn't you have EQ'd it from there with no gate and gotten the same result +/-1dB?  I guess I don't understand the difference in EQ filters you apply at 2ft with the gate unless you put different EQ's on L and R. 

It's hard to get repeatable results from the LP in the treble region.  Moving the mic 6" in any direction changes the response.

When the mic is only 2ft from the wave guide, you get the same result every time you feel like taking measurements and tweaking the EQ.

EQ'ing the L/R speakers individually will mess up the stereo image big time, so my EQ settings are synced identically between the L/R.  

Also, a 2ft measurement of each revealed identical responses from each speaker, which really just means I didn't mess up the crossovers  :P

Archived