Luke's Gjallarhorn/Othorn Discussion

lukeamdman

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We would definitely be the extreme bunch here. Well as far as subs go anyway. Though every person I've had in my basement has never said "this is just silly" or "why so many subs". Every single one has loved it so at least it serves it's purpose and delivers a great movie experience.

We would definitely be the extreme bunch here. Well as far as subs go anyway. Though every person I've had in my basement has never said "this is just silly" or "why so many subs". Every single one has loved it so at least it serves it's purpose and delivers a great movie experience.

Same here.  People have a blast when they hear the system, but it's not for everyone.  

I'll post some pics tomorrow on the progress of the new mains.  They'll be 76" tall when finished...

Looking good Luke! My offer is still on the table if you need it. But, it looks like you're trucking along just fine without it. :D Although, you might need it to stack them :lol:

This week I could use some help once the baffles are on.  I need to get these upstairs to the garage, flush trim, and then 1/4" round-over all the edges.  After that, take them back downstairs for putty/finishing work before duratex.   

You up for bringing your router over?  :)

This week I could use some help once the baffles are on.  I need to get these upstairs to the garage, flush trim, and then 1/4" round-over all the edges.  After that, take them back downstairs for putty/finishing work before duratex.   

You up for bringing your router over?  :)

This week will be bad, we leave on Wednesday for Chicago, will be back Saturday. I'll talk to my wife and see if I can get down tomorrow and help you move them up to the garage. Yeah, I can easily bring over my router. Let me know.

This week will be bad, we leave on Wednesday for Chicago, will be back Saturday. I'll talk to my wife and see if I can get down tomorrow and help you move them up to the garage. Yeah, I can easily bring over my router. Let me know.

I had to do the brakes on the car today, so no progress on the baffles.  Definitely won't be ready by tomorrow :)   I also have to drill the holes and install the t-nuts before the baffles go on.  Out of the whole build, the t-nuts and duratex are the parts I look forward to the least! 

I had to do the brakes on the car today, so no progress on the baffles.  Definitely won't be ready by tomorrow :)   I also have to drill the holes and install the t-nuts before the baffles go on.  Out of the whole build, the t-nuts and duratex are the parts I look forward to the least! 

Ok. Are you using t-nuts to secure the drivers? I used Recex screws on my THT. Those might save you a lot of headache. The shouldn't back out of BB or MDF. Also, I have a bunch leftover, if you wanted to try some in any extra MDF you've got laying around. Just a thought, totally understand if you're more comfortable using t-nuts. 

Ok. Are you using t-nuts to secure the drivers? I used Recex screws on my THT. Those might save you a lot of headache. The shouldn't back out of BB or MDF. Also, I have a bunch leftover, if you wanted to try some in any extra MDF you've got laying around. Just a thought, totally understand if you're more comfortable using t-nuts. 

I used these for my horns and put a dab of gorilla glue on the threads before inserting them:

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/fasteners/nuts/miscellaneous/1-4-20-hex-drive-wood-inserts-1-pcs/p-1445515-c-8921.htm

Those are awesome, but the horns were made of really high quality 13-ply BB, and I don't trust those in MDF.  

For these new mains with MDF, there's only 3/4" of material to thread into.  The baffle is 1.5" thick, but the driver is counter-sunk 3/4".  

I bought the "deluxe" t-nuts from parts-express, so hopefully they'll thread nicely.  

http://www.parts-express.com/1-4-20-deluxe-6-prong-t-nuts-50-pcs--081-1090

• 2 months later...

The boxes for the SEOS-24s aren't finished yet, so right now the SEOS-24 is just sitting on top of one of the 18s, and it's only a single 18" per tower and not dual 18" MTM yet.  

20150510_141746_zpssh1ra609.jpg

20150510_193525_zpsy5oiiy0y.jpg

Current response at the LP:

lp_zpstli9hxmy.jpg

6,500hz crossover between the mid and the HF in the 4594 coax.  Also pads each by 6db.  

20150531_201655_zpsttwq8jn9.jpg

With the SEOS-24 and BMS 4594ND combo, I was originally going with the MiniDSP 10x10HD for all EQ and XO, but the noise floor of the miniDSP was just too high for 118db sensitive compression drivers.  Couldn't get the "hiss" down to a reasonable level.

I'm now powering the CD with a Lab Gruppen IPD 2400 that has built in EQ.  Noise floor is also really low, so "hiss" is no longer a concern.  

Cabinet tune on the MBMs came in at 25hz, so these have solid response down to 20hz with the subs off.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived