Reaction Audio Measurements & Discussion Thread

Ricci

nice work, as always josh.

looks like the Dayton amp held in there pretty well.

with no fan, I kind of question the cooling capacity/long-term performance of something like that.  looks like a fairly traditional amp design (relatively low efficiency compared to something like class d).  but for movies where most of the content tends to be relatively concentrated, it probably does the trick.

why they didn't plop in a mini-compensation network on the signal side to smooth out the response is a bit of a mystery.

John,

Actually it appears that the Dayton amp has a notch filter for this built into a jumper on the amp. I'm going to switch it and take a close mic to check the results.

Of course that will only work up to the point that some of the bandwidth starts to compress...

Very impressive numbers for the PS-15X. 

Not criticizing the PV-15X, but about learning more about ported enclosures and its effect on maximum output. The PV-15X only provides a very modest 3.4dB more output at its tuning frequency over its sealed equivalent and even less as the frequency goes up. How come the PV-15X's ported enclosure is only bringing such modest output gains compared to SVS or DIY, which brings around 12dB more output at tuning?

The maximum gain is below 20Hz. I think the tuning is perhaps a little lower than originally thought. Looks like the sub gets about 5.6 db gain at 12.5Hz and 4dB at 16Hz. 3.4dB at 20Hz. Looking at the absolute max output not just CEA passing of course. One thing to consider is the enclosure is a good bit undersized for the driver to have a flat response down to 16-20Hz. It should only be around 4-4.5cuft net after the amp, bracing, port and driver displacements. That limits the low end gain a bit. Could be a bit of vent compression. I did note that it didn't seem to offer as much gain as some others but honestly I'm not entirely sure why.

• 2 months later...

Thank you for your interest but that is not quite how things work. Reaction would have to contact me about it and schedule it which they very well might. As of now it is not on the schedule of things to be tested when work starts back up in the spring.

Archived