Introducing the Vier Systems Xero.1/Midbasiks Subwoofer builds....

vxds11

After about a year of research, and delving into the enlightening world of sonic nirvana. I embarked on what I thought, was an easy laid back endeavor of building a simple subwoofer to compliment my newish space. A 95% completed home renovation with the little bells and whistles to compliment my busy family life.  I tend to pick up new gear piece by piece at the beginning of the year, so next on my list will be the Oppo BDP105D and/or the Bossobass A-14K which will probably be it for a while. A few caveats as to why I chose to go in the direction I went. The  AVS DIY forums tend to swing in the direction of what the "flavor-of-the-month" driver and alignment will be from time to time, and believe me, it's exhausting reading the same ol' arguments over and over again. Call it what you will, i.e. debate, discussion, whatever. All I've seen in the last couple of years has been spl drag racing and penile swish for the majority of it. I specifically went to the owners of the AVS forums (David Bott & Alan Gouger) back then, to create a DIY forum for Speakers and Subs, and here we are, almost a decade later, I am finally starting a build thread. A little bit about my background: I.T. hero for Henkel (Loctite, Dial, etc.) for most of that time after I "worked" for AVScience, and decided I wasn't getting any younger and went on to pursue medicine. I took a hiatus from all things AVS, and now I'm back for the time being. Ok, so to give you an idea of what these are going to look like when completed.

Amadeus ML-18

AmadeusML18.jpg

Meets.........

Bossobass Raptor

BossobassRaptor.jpg

Now you may ask, "Why in the hell would anyone want to go sealed?” Yeah, I've read the data, arguments, then the sims, more arguments, and finally data. Here is my reasoning. Full bandwidth. I will utilize two 11.5 cu.ft. (326.723 liters external), 9.9 cu.ft. (282.203 liters internal) cabs, dual opposed in 1800 cubes. Let's do some math shall we? SI HT-18 (1178(sd) * 2.3(xmax) * 2 / 1000) = 5.4188 liters of displacement. (4) * 5.4188 = 22 (21.6) liters of displacement. My room = 13 w * 8 h * 18 l = 1872 cu.ft. Take room (1872 * 0.01) = 18.72 required liters of displacement for my room. Now add the Midbasiks: two near field DO Ascendant Audio Assassins 12's (6.5 liters) for a total of 28.17 liters of displacement vs. 18.72 required liters of displacement. Not bad.

Xero.1 Top view

65aa0a0b_3-2.png

Winisd sim of (1) Xero.1

17% increased xmax (26 mm). Doesn’t change much. Just playing around with excursion numbers.

WINISD-QuantumEvent-XeroPointOne.jpg

Cone excursion to the resonance of the planet, (j/k) with rated 22.5 xmax.

WINISD-QuantumEvent-XeroPointOne-ConeExc

Teammates...... huddle-up!

XeroPoint1Drivers.jpg

So, there you have it. Hopefully I can proceed with the build now since all of my design plans have been finalized (Sims, Sketched-up, etc.) and most of the cuts are completed/trimmed and routed. Thank you guys in advance for hopping on and taking this journey with me. I'm hoping to meld form & function of a nice system. #V-town

*Giving thanks and shout outs to some of you here & AVS:  bossobass,  tuxedocivic,  Madaeel,   nube,  ambesolman,  Fatshaft,  maxmercy, MKtheater,  dominguez1, beastaudio,  notnyt,  BassThatHz,  popalock, lilmike

post-1366-0-81664300-1414854371_thumb.jpg

post-1366-0-37993800-1414854402_thumb.jpg

post-1366-0-60565600-1414854439_thumb.jpg

post-1366-0-81243800-1414854467_thumb.jpg

post-1366-0-93026300-1414854486_thumb.jpg

post-1366-0-99572600-1414854521_thumb.jpg

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sealed???  Come on now...

...j/k

Looks like this will be a nice project.

A pile of big drivers in sealed cabinets fed by huge amps is the most effective way I'm aware of to reproduce sub 10 Hz content.

OMG! he lives! Long time no hear. Hope things are going good in your neck of the woods. I was about to put out an APB for lilmike! Yes, this is the direction I started to go in for numerous reasons and I hope I can pull it off.

Aww come on A-Block, there was once a wise man who said, "Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."-Bruce Lee, which is my sig now on that other site. <_<  And thanks man, I hope I can pull it off. People who know me will tell you I'm a perfectionist and don't like to half-ass anything I set mind my to.

OMG! he lives! Long time no hear. Hope things are going good in your neck of the woods. I was about to put out an APB for lilmike! Yes, this is the direction I started to go in for numerous reasons and I hope I can pull it off.

Alive and well, just eyebrow-deep in my house project.

Not much time to forum as a result, and nothing to share other than opinions...

One of these days I will get back to building and measuring things.

Smh. Sorry man. Idk if this helps but I went to take one of my SI drivers out of the cab on Saturday to put a foam seal in between the cab and driver, and while it was resting on the top of the box just long enough to disconnect the jumpers, it fell and nicked the damn cab in two places. :angry: I told Dave I was ready to pitch that white cab out the window.

At least it's not finished yet and you won't even notice it once your done. Just take comfort in knowing you're not alone in your anger. B)

*Literally brushing sawdust off to come in and check the forums* I'm literally salivating right now @ that graph Dave. Now you know why this build is dedicated to your accomplishments and contributions to the interwebs...

kudos my man.

Some days you just have to leave the shop and come back tomorrow, or you'll just make things worse by sticking around...

JSS

That is hilarious. I actually wrote that in my comment and then deleted it cuz I was like nah it's just the Irish in me hahaha.

Here's the loopback info for the OPPO 105 analog SW output and the SEQSS signal shaper set in +10dB boost, no HPF:

46652fec93eb214badf8b28120aa51fe.png

I hate you.....

• 4 weeks later...

Archived