BMS 18N862 Sealed Measurements Thread

Ricci

Discussion of or questions on the BMS driver and its measurements should go here.

This is one of the best all around bass drivers I've found yet. It's got enough displacement to legitimately reproduce the low stuff, it is quite efficient and doesn't require much more than a 1kw amp to get most of its performance, its coil will handle that much amp all day long without breaking a sweat. It is rugged and immune to bottoming for the most part, with good overload characteristics, it has very low distortion thanks to the triple shorting rings and it has an excellent top end that can easily be used up into the 450Hz range or wherever you want to cross it over to control your dispersion pattern hand off to your mid driver up top. Did I mention it weighs less than 24lbs?

That's some very impressive measurements, especially for a pro audio driver. 

Too bad the mounting depth is still 10''. From the picture, I expected it to be a lot less than 10''. Otherwise it would have made a fantastic choice for a really small, dual opposed design, perhaps with dual side flanking 18'' PRs as well to take advantage of how small the dimensions of the driver. 

I doubt this or the 860 driver which is basically the same will get very popular due to the street price being so expensive. Plus BMS seems really hard to get in some places.

I am a bit surprised by the 10" depth as well as it doesn't look like that much but that is what the BMS PDF has listed for total depth is 250mm.

• 5 months later...

I doubt this or the 860 driver which is basically the same will get very popular due to the street price being so expensive. Plus BMS seems really hard to get in some places.

In Europe the situation is the inverse.

The BMS can be bought by 650$ and its widely available.

By contrary, drivers like the HST18, UXL18, etc, are much harder/expensive to get.

Taking this into consideration, do you think the BMS is a good alternative to the UXL/HST ?

Archived