1. 1. Execution?

• 5 Stars
    • 4 Stars
    • 3 Stars
  2. 2. Recommendation?

• Rent
    • Buy

Pacific Rim:

Both 5.1 and 7.1 are near identical.  So much for the 'theatrical version'.

7.1 is 1dB hotter.

7.1:

Level - 5 Stars (114.11dB composite)

Extension - 3 Stars (19Hz)

Dynamics - 4 Stars (25.03dB)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall - 4 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

The 5.1 version scores 3 Stars in Dynamics with a 24.01dB Dynamic score.

See attached.

If you like Thor, you'll like this one ULF-wise.  They are very similar, with similar clipping in the center channel, but not throughout the film like in STID.  The LFE channel has near zero clipping.  I wish they could do the same with the Center in most films, but I understand the load the Center is asked to carry.

JSS

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-20-0-17625200-1381891269_thumb.jpg
  •  
  • post-20-0-48701700-1381891282_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I voted 4 stars and Buy. There are definitely some PQ demo worthy scenes in this movie. I deducted 1-star due to the lack of ULF, but one thing I liked about PR (and I know some folks found the constant droning bass boring), was that they consistently used that bass to reinforce the impressions of mass and impact. Anytime there was something big onscreen, there was bass. Anytime there was an impact, there was bass.

In contrast to MOS for instance, where bass was underwhelming overall, and then in some scenes where you would at least expect what bass the movie had, it was almost entirely absent. Inconsistent bass is even more annoying to me. It's like, "Wait,... what happened there? Did he land in a pile of marshmallows?"

Max

I voted 4 stars and Buy. There are definitely some PQ demo worthy scenes in this movie. I deducted 1-star due to the lack of ULF, but one thing I liked about PR (and I know some folks found the constant droning bass boring), was that they consistently used that bass to reinforce the impressions of mass and impact. Anytime there was something big onscreen, there was bass. Anytime there was an impact, there was bass.

In contrast to MOS for instance, where bass was underwhelming overall, and then in some scenes where you would at least expect what bass the movie had, it was almost entirely absent. Inconsistent bass is even more annoying to me. It's like, "Wait,... what happened there? Did he land in a pile of marshmallows?"

Max

Agreed. Bass seem to fit in well with what was happening on screen and in my room at least.

Iron man 3 on the other hand was a huge disappointment. :o

Archived