• 1 Star
  2. 2. Recommendation?

• Rent
    • Buy
    • Avoid

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we no longer able to click on the ratings and see who voted where?

It's a setting we have to select when creating the poll, and it's easy to miss.  :)  Plus, there's no real good reason to select it other than to have people's votes on record. 

At one point, I started doing it with a desire to perform statistical analysis on the votes and user's stated sub performance to get an idea of correlation between bass opinions and user's system's capabilities, but I haven't followed up on it.  Might be a fun endeavor down the line, though, with the data coming out of the Your Home Theater ULF Score thread.

Wow.  This one did not disappoint.  It is just as terrible as the waveforms show it to be.  Dialogue is recorded about 6dB too hot, and EQ'ed to leave out any sibilance.  The loud effects are clipped away, wish I could know how they really sounded before.  This one had amazing dynamic potential, compressed and limited away.  Much more variety to the sound effects than in TF3, but overall I have to say this 'home mix' is an utter failure.  On an HTIB I bet it sounds "awesome" at -20dBRef. 

The film itself is OK at best, and at least kept my attention, despite the traditional Michael Bay plot-holes.  It is kind of weird hearing Jetfire's voice as Lockdown, though.  They didn't even bother disguising it.  I do like Frank Welker doing his best Leonard Nimoy for Galvatron, though. 

Another missed opportunity by Hollywood.  Between this and TDKR, not sure which one would cause more hearing damage if listened to at -0dBRef.  

Put in Oblivion or 9 after watching this and be amazed at the difference.  

Oh well.   I'll see if BassEQ can at least put some lipstick on this pig.

JSS

Well at least each year seems to trending the same ranging from well done to the other end of the spectrum of "just how loud can we make it" and of course everything in between. I'm not sure how many more are out there on my to buy list but after HTTYD2, XMEN DoFP and EOT it may be time to call it a day. Godzilla and T4 are not my pics for reference status as much as I loved the bass and a few other things about them especially T4. I'm leaning towards Enders Game and CATWS  for that honor!

Hopefully we get a few more good ones before year's end....TF4 disappointed due to compression/clipping and absurd levels, as if it was mixed for those with sound bars and HTIB, which to tell the truth, probably make over 95% of the blu-ray buying public, if not just TV speakers.  When playing TF2, these same systems have to keep turning the volume up to hear dialogue in quiet scenes, and turn it down to avoid bad sounds during louder scenes.  No need to on this mix, it is all loud and dynamic range is terribly compressed.  

I wish I knew the compression algorithms they used, to be able to un-do it with DSP.

JSS

I wish I knew the compression algorithms they used, to be able to un-do it with DSP.

JSS

Unfortunately that is not possible, because too much of the original signal is lost when limiting and clipping.

Compression can be undone if you know the exact algorithm.

The best approach I think is to continue to inform, spread the word, never buy those bad mixes.

And all this happens while they promote the new Atmos format promising uncomparable improvements in sound for those tracks with mostly 8-bit resolution.

This one just blew me away! Yeah, I get the complaints as the track clearly has a compressed type cranked to 11 quality to it, but it actually fits the cranked to 11 nature of the film from my perspective to some degree. It is completely relentless and I think that was the point and it worked IMO.

I LOVED all the layers of sound going on as well sitting in my sweet spot. I had this track at -1 from ref and all the sounds coming from all over the room was intense! Has to be the loudest track I have heard which is not generally a good thing, but again for this film I think it worked and was intentional. Just my perspective.

I cant wait to check out the 3d next watch as I did the 2d first time through. Lots of people are raving about the 3d on this title which will take it all to another level for sure.

5 and buy for me. A bit more extension would be nice, but in the grand scheme of things is a minor complaint.

I have a tentative BassEQ solution.  It should bring some ULF backinto the picture, and hopefully soften the clipping a smidge.  I'll screen it in a few days with the solution I have come up with.  I am not thinking it will be as good an improvement as Godzilla's Bass EQ solution, we'll see.

Toe, any ear-ringing after watching 2.75hrs that averaged 100dB?

JSS

This and Immortals and TDKR may be the film's where you have to recommend these: (maybe Godzilla, too)

http://www.etymotic.com/pdf/er_hearing_protection_brochure_2014.pdf

Wearing etymotics allows you to get all the slam and tactile response, without the harshness during and ear-ringing after. I take them to the cinema every time I go in case it is a bad mix, or a poorly calibrated sound system. No need for another's errors to have permanent and irreversible effects on me....

JSS

I haven't enjoyed any of the Transformers movies but this one, surprisingly, was watchable.  Part of the credit has to go to the complete absence of Shia LaBeouf.  :)

I thought the bass/LFE was great in this movie.  There was plenty of it, everywhere I expected it to be...and sometimes even where I didn't expect it (like when Mark Wahlberg slammed his fist on the ground after his daughter is abducted - man, is he strong!  ;) ).

This and Immortals and TDKR may be the film's where you have to recommend these: (maybe Godzilla, too)

http://www.etymotic.com/pdf/er_hearing_protection_brochure_2014.pdf

Wearing etymotics allows you to get all the slam and tactile response, without the harshness during and ear-ringing after. I take them to the cinema every time I go in case it is a bad mix, or a poorly calibrated sound system. No need for another's errors to have permanent and irreversible effects on me....

JSS

Nice find, thanks very much for posting that :)

Might fend off a worsening of the tinnitus... lol

3 hours of 100dB just for a film is ridiculous - what about the kids' ears?  :mellow:

I have a limit of -20dB mv when kids are in the room.

I have not seen any research on this, but kids don't like loud sound, and I feel it is better to be on the safe side.

I believe it is very likely that kids ears are more sensitive, and has a far lower safe spl limit.

I agree, I play lower, about 10-15 dBs lower than reference and only if EQ'd and calibrated correctly.  I find it funny after running auto EQ -15 MV is ear piercing at times and then when I use my NanoAvr and calibrate correctly MV 0 is even tolerable with TF4!  Barely though.  Tonight I will run Godzilla with the corrections, I will just load the biquad file from Maxmercy and let you guys know.  I already use TF2 corrected as my go to, the intro alone is just awesome! 

Loud, compressed, and lots of it. Probably most bass sweeps of any movie I can remember. Execution is 3 stars and a rent for me. Not my cup of tea, but from a quantity standpoint I can see why some would love it. I did enjoy the use of the surround channels and CGI. 

You make it sound like a 165 minute action movie trailer.  All loud, compressed, and with fifty gagillion bass sweeps.

Archived