BOSSOBASS Raptor system 3

Madaeel

Pardon the rudimentary graphs, pics off my phone, but I should be able to post them off Speclab as soon as Paul learns me some more this weekend. I'm a Mac user and PC's are strange to me. Still figuring out all the little ins and outs of the computer itself. Anywho right before work I graphed this since it sounded low and it sure was.  ;)  Measurements from the MLP.

This is Transformers RotF opening scene. Literally. The first 10 seconds..

This is where the Decepticon stomps on the natives.

And finally another autobot(Sideswipe) flip sweep that goes to 12hz!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice^^^

Fast learner. B)

I just finished testing the Minka version of Blackbird. I've never run a single module before, so I had to see where it's limits are because, judging from your posted SL caps, you prob aren't ever gonna run it flat. :lol:

Clocked 120dB with T4. Pretty awesome, but the test always ends with WOTW.

Using an A14K, calibrated flat, full reference level. No pieces on the carpet, no smoke, nothing torn or wrinkled. That's pretty damned amazing. Very nice drivers, indeed and exceptional performance from a 3 ft^3 enclosure. Of course, it doesn't have the <10 Hz of your Raptor 3, but it's gonna kick tail in the living room.

Jman... I'm starting your coffee Blackbird SE tomorrow.

WotW at reference?? 120db on T:AoE?? That's amazing! I'm gonna be telling Jazzy to turn it down haha.

You know I don't believe in running flat. :D  Actually I forgot I turned the subs up 5db since I wouldn't listen at ref anymore since most movies are in DTS and slightly loud. So a couple times I was watching 15db hot. :ph34r: I turned it back down. Actually on that pos eD sub I have I always ran it flat, though I didn't have much choice because it would run out of steam way before reference. Now I'll have headroom. Well she will.

Ok I gotta see this coffee BB. That sounds awesome.

Posting again because having Raptors and Blackbird is fun stuff.

raptorstackblackbirdpic_zps2afa2630.jpg

After testing the Minka, I fired up my Raptor 3 and watched CA;TWS. The picture quality is great as well. Anyone notice the crap PQ on T4 besides me, or was it just somehow the rental copy?

Did you also notice the crap SQ, with overly compressed and clipped sound?

JSS

Pardon the rudimentary graphs, pics off my phone, but I should be able to post them off Speclab as soon as Paul learns me some more this weekend. I'm a Mac user and PC's are strange to me. Still figuring out all the little ins and outs of the computer itself. Anywho right before work I graphed this since it sounded low and it sure was.  ;)  Measurements from the MLP.

This is Transformers RotF opening scene. Literally. The first 10 seconds..

attachicon.gif1.jpg

This is where the Decepticon stomps on the natives.

attachicon.gif2.jpg

And finally another autobot(Sideswipe) flip sweep that goes to 12hz!

attachicon.gif3.jpg

TF2 is one of my visual + sound favs, even if devoid of everything else.

If you follow the Bass EQ thread, I'll post DSP algorithms that will make TF2 more like WoTW.

JSS

WotW at reference?? 120db on T:AoE?? That's amazing! I'm gonna be telling Jazzy to turn it down haha.

You know I don't believe in running flat. :D  Actually I forgot I turned the subs up 5db since I wouldn't listen at ref anymore since most movies are in DTS and slightly loud. So a couple times I was watching 15db hot. :ph34r: I turned it back down. Actually on that pos eD sub I have I always ran it flat, though I didn't have much choice because it would run out of steam way before reference. Now I'll have headroom. Well she will.

Ok I gotta see this coffee BB. That sounds awesome.

TF4 has a max peak of 124dB, and a max RMS peak of 118dB encoded on the track.  The problem is that the RMS SPL average of the entire track (with credits) is 101dB.  That's if played back at reference.

JSS

Yah TF2 is one of my favorites too. The intro alone is demo worthy. It's also one of the few I can watch at ref in DTS. I didn't know it went that low though. That Sideswipe flip sounded amazing.

I need a miniDSP to implement the algorithm right? Max that's amazing. That's why data bass is my favorite site. Just wanted to say thanks for all your contributions here (Abraham and Dave as well). To make TF2 like WotW is just amazing. I wish I could do that to Godzilla. I did like the movie and the bass just wish it was lower. Hopefully soon I can help with Speclab at least.

I meant I was surprised the Blackbird was hitting 120db, not that the movie could hit those levels. I know Dave doesn't make pansy ass subs but good grief. Two 15's doing reference in his room? I didn't see a mention of a filter either. :o

Yah TF2 is one of my favorites too. The intro alone is demo worthy. It's also one of the few I can watch at ref in DTS. I didn't know it went that low though. That Sideswipe flip sounded amazing.

I need a miniDSP to implement the algorithm right? Max that's amazing. That's why data bass is my favorite site. Just wanted to say thanks for all your contributions here (Abraham and Dave as well). To make TF2 like WotW is just amazing. I wish I could do that to Godzilla. I did like the movie and the bass just wish it was lower. Hopefully soon I can help with Speclab at least.

I meant I was surprised the Blackbird was hitting 120db, not that the movie could hit those levels. I know Dave doesn't make pansy ass subs but good grief. Two 15's doing reference in his room? I didn't see a mention of a filter either. :o

Godzilla already has a DSP solution posted. It is a significant improvement.

JSS

The DSP goes between your BluRay player and the AVR, way before the SEQSS.  All the processing is done in the digital realm, before any D-A or A-D converters.  I also ensure no hits above 128dB unless I state so in the post that has the correction in it.

I use this:

http://www.minidsp.com/products/ht-series/nanoavr-hd

You have to have a bluray player that will decode both DTS and Dolby to 7.1 LPCM.  Not many do nowadays.  Most inexpensive BDP will convert one or the other, but not both (they will downmix one format to 2Ch).  I found this out while implementing the nanoavr into my system.  To avoid having 2 BDPs, I got a Panasonic that does convert both to 7.1LPCM.  Oppo BDPs also convert both Dolby and DTS.

JSS

The opening scene of EOT is the real deal.

Thanks to everyone here for the heads up on this one! Playing this scene at full reference level caused my wife to become queasy… and she was downstairs in the kitchen when I played it!! She yelled up that the kitchen floor felt like it was rippling.

Here's the scoop:

Raptor System 3
8 x BHT-15 drivers in 4 x dual-opposed enclosures
39 liters of displacement capability
SEQSS Signal Shaper
A14K amplifier on dedicated 120V/30A line
Calibrated reference level at playback

This is an animation of the comparison of the digital feed spec lab cap versus the mic'd-at-the-seats version:

ad89e90727ab00db19b67a85c7a1f382.gif

Here's the over/under screen cap comparison showing THD:

EOTspeclabdetails_zpsb2b8d835.jpg

The harmonic distortion at 40 Hz is curious. I don't believe it's a coincidence that 4HD of 10 Hz is exactly the same as 2HD of 20 Hz. I thinks it's just the windows and/or a few other things rattling in sympathy.

This entire effect is very audible as the tones are made up of random combinations of harmonics of the fundamentals as the fundamentals decrease in frequency. IOW, it's nothing like playing single sine wave tones in that, for example, when the 10 Hz fundamental plays there are simultaneous odd-order harmonics all the way above the SW band. Awesome stuff. This is why we chose the ULF frontier for a hobby and scenes like this are the reward for our pursuits.

DB hats off to Chris Burdon (he mixed X-Men: Fist Class) and Mark Taylor (Clash Of The Titans and Wrath Of The Titans) for turning out stellar product. :)

Here's a vid of the excursion and you can hear the windows and other things rattling as well as see the camera shake, even though it's on a high end very heavy tripod:

I haven't gotten to watch the movie yet, which we'll do tonight. I'm looking forward to it based on input from members and the trailer.

ADAM: BEWARE... DO NOT RUN THE SYSTEM +15dB HOT FOR THIS ONE, IT WILL HAVE CONSEQUENCES!!!! :o:(:blink:

Hahahaha Paul already texted me and said the same thing. I haven't ran it 15db hot except for demo's when I KNOW what the scene is capable of, or have run it before. I read the thread at AVS about it and saw the graph. I'm starting this one low. I had a friend over tonight and demo'd TIH for him and he couldn't believe it. He said the subs were worth every penny. Yes sir indeed.

How's the MInka doin? :)

I know the DIY crowd is mostly a bang-for-buck and I get that. But, I've gone through the AAs, Marathons, QSCs, Crowns and various and sundry "clones" for more than a decade. The A14K is in another league and is really the only amplifier I've used that can actually provide enough stable power to meet the grueling demands of powering a full BW system like Raptor System 3 at reference level in 4k cubes.

Are there more specs on the amp listed somewhere?

- Max Vout

- Input sensitivty

Are there any pics or a diagram of the rear panel?

What is the watts (or voltage delivered) to each driver by the A14K in a Raptor System 3?

Thanks!

The opening scene of EOT is the real deal.

Thanks to everyone here for the heads up on this one! Playing this scene at full reference level caused my wife to become queasy… and she was downstairs in the kitchen when I played it!! She yelled up that the kitchen floor felt like it was rippling.

Here's the scoop:

Raptor System 3

8 x BHT-15 drivers in 4 x dual-opposed enclosures

39 liters of displacement capability

SEQSS Signal Shaper

A14K amplifier on dedicated 120V/30A line

Calibrated reference level at playback

This is an animation of the comparison of the digital feed spec lab cap versus the mic'd-at-the-seats version:

ad89e90727ab00db19b67a85c7a1f382.gif

Here's the over/under screen cap comparison showing THD:

EOTspeclabdetails_zpsb2b8d835.jpg

The harmonic distortion at 40 Hz is curious. I don't believe it's a coincidence that 4HD of 10 Hz is exactly the same as 2HD of 20 Hz. I thinks it's just the windows and/or a few other things rattling in sympathy.

This entire effect is very audible as the tones are made up of random combinations of harmonics of the fundamentals as the fundamentals decrease in frequency. IOW, it's nothing like playing single sine wave tones in that, for example, when the 10 Hz fundamental plays there are simultaneous odd-order harmonics all the way above the SW band. Awesome stuff. This is why we chose the ULF frontier for a hobby and scenes like this are the reward for our pursuits.

DB hats off to Chris Burdon (he mixed X-Men: Fist Class) and Mark Taylor (Clash Of The Titans and Wrath Of The Titans) for turning out stellar product. :)

Here's a vid of the excursion and you can hear the windows and other things rattling as well as see the camera shake, even though it's on a high end very heavy tripod:

I haven't gotten to watch the movie yet, which we'll do tonight. I'm looking forward to it based on input from members and the trailer.

ADAM: BEWARE... DO NOT RUN THE SYSTEM +15dB HOT FOR THIS ONE, IT WILL HAVE CONSEQUENCES!!!! :o:(:blink:

What software is that?  Does it require those uber ACO mics that you have to run it?

It's Spectrum Lab, same as we use to graph all these scenes.  It's just that in this case, it's used to measure the digital file, then also used to measure the resulting reproduction of that timestamp at Dave's listening position, and the two graphs are combined in an animated GIF. 

It can likely be done with any calibrated mic that is accurate down to 5Hz (or so), but Dave's ACO Pacific is one of the best mic/recording systems because it doesn't require a calibration file (as I understand it) to measure accurately down to ~2Hz.  ;)

Ah ha! So this is where you have been hiding Dave!!! I have been hanging out with Paul a little over at AVS. I recon you have relegated the task of dealing with idiots on a daily basis to the next generation :) (Only kidding... Well, sort of) I love the writeup from Adam's system and what you have managed to do with the amplification side of things :) Think a single a-14 can replace both my peavey 7500 and crest 7.5? :)

Are there more specs on the amp listed somewhere?

- Max Vout

- Input sensitivty

Are there any pics or a diagram of the rear panel?

What is the watts (or voltage delivered) to each driver by the A14K in a Raptor System 3?

Thanks!

RMS to each driver, average, is 1KW, transient peaks to 1750W.

Specs:

A14KSpecificationsb_zps901f0bb9.png

front/rear panel:

a14kfrontrear_zpsb0b19dbd.png

Ah ha! So this is where you have been hiding Dave!!! I have been hanging out with Paul a little over at AVS. I recon you have relegated the task of dealing with idiots on a daily basis to the next generation :) (Only kidding... Well, sort of) I love the writeup from Adam's system and what you have managed to do with the amplification side of things :) Think a single a-14 can replace both my peavey 7500 and crest 7.5? :)

Ha-ha-ha... Yes, Rowdy Roddy, you nailed it... the Next-Gen it is. It was either that or film my head exploding and put it on YouTube.  :lol:

Thanks for the kind words and yes, in bridged mode into a nominal 4 ohm load, the amp is all that. B)

Archived