172 replies to this topic

#161 Infrasonic

Infrasonic

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:08 PM

Yeah. Looks impressive with some pretty stout specs. Not sure if it would really "best" the 152. I think this one is even more of a bass/midbass when compared to the 152 though. Even B&C recommends a small/medium resonant enclosure tuned to 40hz.

#162 Ricci

Ricci

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:36 PM

Anybody else noticed B&C's new 21DS115

Any place for it in the Othorn Ricci? 3db more sensitive.

Haven't modeled it yet. I have posted the Othorn HR inputs a few times so you could model it yourself or I'm sure someone else would help out. Looks like a good driver. 3dB more sensitive at what frequency? It has less motor force so it isn't quite as efficient. Should be pretty similar though.

#163 Ricci

Ricci

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:43 PM

In other news...I've been out twice this week. I'll be posting the results for the Aura NS18 soon and some other things.

I also tried to run the 21IPAL driver through testing again. This time I crammed 2 in the tiny 5.5ft dual opposed sealed cab I previously used for the 21SW152's, so I could get a 2ohm nominal load for the amp. The K20 still current limited well before getting to the driver limits. Not surprising since the minimum impedance is dropping down near 1.5ohms and the amp is rated for 4ohm bridged. Thankfully those amps are so well protected they won't let you blow them up even when you do something stupid. Next time I'm out and going to let one channel of the SP2-12000 have a go at this cab and see if it does any better.

• Infrasonic likes this

#164 lukeamdman

lukeamdman

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationBurnsville, MN

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:02 PM

In other news...I've been out twice this week. I'll be posting the results for the Aura NS18 soon and some other things.

I also tried to run the 21IPAL driver through testing again. This time I crammed 2 in the tiny 5.5ft dual opposed sealed cab I previously used for the 21SW152's, so I could get a 2ohm nominal load for the amp. The K20 still current limited well before getting to the driver limits. Not surprising since the minimum impedance is dropping down near 1.5ohms and the amp is rated for 4ohm bridged. Thankfully those amps are so well protected they won't let you blow them up even when you do something stupid. Next time I'm out and going to let one channel of the SP2-12000 have a go at this cab and see if it does any better.

I was going to say...try the SP amp :)

I've driven my IPALs to what looked like near 3" peak to peak excursion with a SP2-12000!!

#165 Ricci

Ricci

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:05 PM

I was going to say...try the SP amp :)

I've driven my IPALs to what looked like near 3" peak to peak excursion with a SP2-12000!!

I'm going to try it out. Probably a single channel on both first to see what happens. Remember I'm testing these in about 2.75ft sealed per driver so it takes a lot more power to get them moving versus the Othorn and the average impedance is way lower. If that works out all right I may try both amps in the 12K connected one to each driver. I'm a little worried on that since it's a 1ohm min load on each and the airspace is shared. If one side of the amp protects or limits slightly before the other that could cause a catastrophic instability for the drivers (suddenly becomes a very high tuned PR enclosure in the middle of a very high power measurement. :o )

• lukeamdman likes this

#166 MemX

MemX

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:13 PM

I'm going to try it out. Probably a single channel on both first to see what happens. Remember I'm testing these in about 2.75ft sealed per driver so it takes a lot more power to get them moving versus the Othorn and the average impedance is way lower. If that works out all right I may try both amps in the 12K connected one to each driver. I'm a little worried on that since it's a 1ohm min load on each and the airspace is shared. If one side of the amp protects or limits slightly before the other that could cause a catastrophic instability for the drivers (suddenly becomes a very high tuned PR enclosure in the middle of a very high power measurement. :o )

That sounds like it could get expensive real quick... :wacko: lol

#167 Ricci

Ricci

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:50 PM

Well...2017 season is shaping up to be interesting already. This is just a few of the things that will be on the agenda this year.

Alpine Type R 15" sealed. Had this driver ready to go all last year and just didn't get to it.

Skhorn cab with dual 21-Ipal. Nuff said.

RF T3S2-19 vented in the 21" variable tune cab. Have to make a baffle to downsize the cut-out.

B&C 21DS115 testing.

Jeff from JTR Speakers will be having a few things tested.

I'm trying to get some more pro oriented bass cabinets submitted. I have some leads but we'll see. Fingers crossed.

Might try to revisit the M.A.U.L. cab after a year of break in on the drivers and use the SP-12000 amp. The first test was the first time the drivers had seen power. They went straight from the boxes into the cab and out into the field. Would be interesting to see how the suspension softening on the drivers affects the system behavior.

There's more...

• Jeff Permanian, lilmike, lukeamdman and 1 other like this

#168 radulescu_paul_mircea

radulescu_paul_mircea

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:06 PM

This sounds better than Netflix :)) can't wait, man. I would also like to see 21ID and 18Ipal tested and some subs like the Funktion F132 ;) . Also ,as daydreaming material, if Rockford could build a 24 T3...:-D

#169 lukeamdman

lukeamdman

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationBurnsville, MN

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:53 PM

Nice!

#170 shrub0

shrub0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:09 PM

Any plans to test AE subwoofers or Bill Fitzmaurice bass horns like the table tuba or THT?

#171 Ricci

Ricci

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:49 PM

Any plans to test AE subwoofers or Bill Fitzmaurice bass horns like the table tuba or THT?

I've unfortunately had issues with my AE TD18's since day one, so they have never made it to high power testing. In fact I've got one with a scraping former right now after working fine for a year or so. Been like that for a few months and I haven't even contacted AE yet because I'm kind of over it. Maybe some day. I already know they are not going to be deep bass, or power handling champions. I really like them when they work, so it's not a big priority to torture test one and potentially have to get it reconed again.

I wouldn't mind evaluating a THT or one of the other ones but I'm for sure not going to build one to do so. Someone would have to loan me one for a while and no one has ever offered. Same thing applies to some of the DIYSG flatpacks, McFly subs, or LilMike's designs. I'd do it but I'd need the subs provided to me.

#172 shrub0

shrub0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:44 PM

I have two used AE IB 15" subs and am toying with the idea of sending you one for testing.Would it be worthwhile even if the Qtc is 1.5 or so in your test box?

I imagine I would have to pay shipping both ways, I am located in Minneapolis, MN. What is the chance the sub would survive:) ? 

#173 Ricci

Ricci

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:47 PM

I appreciate the offer but I think it would be better to do one of the other AE drivers. Testing an IB driver in a WAY undersized cab isn't going to flatter it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users