Upcoming Testing Possibilities?

jpmst3

Ricci,

Could you test an IB driver?  I would love to have one of my drivers tested. 

I could but not really in an IB alignment. I'm not digging a pit in the ground or building a 30 cu ft box for one test. I think the biggest enclosure I'd have on hand is somewhere around 10ft.

Bosso,

How well did the Si18's perform? Same sound as the 24?  For the same price you could have 5 of them vs the 24.  Still, it is nice to know one could build a single sub and have it reach reference!  Damn impressive.

I have in my head that the SI 24 is the perfect comeback to a demand from SWMBO that I am only allowed one subwoofer :P:D lol

• 4 weeks later...

Might as well give an update. Tons of things coming in. Have to put my personal tests on hold again. The next few things in the test que according to the order recieved are...

1.) Sealed JBL 2242HPL

2.) Sealed SI HTS-18D2

3.) SVS SB13-U (For AH)

4.) Sealed UXL-18 retest for distortion

5.) Powersound XS15se

6.) Powersound XV30se

7.) SI 24" (Just got it yesterday. This is just dumb!)

Might as well give an update. Tons of things coming in. Have to put my personal tests on hold again. The next few things in the test que according to the order recieved are...

1.) Sealed JBL 2242HPL

2.) Sealed SI HTS-18D2

3.) SVS SB13-U (For AH)

4.) Sealed UXL-18 retest for distortion

5.) Powersound XS15se

6.) Powersound XV30se

7.) SI 24" (Just got it yesterday. This is just dumb!)

Are you going to build a ~10-15cu.ft sealed box for that massive 24?

• 1 month later...

It may be awhile on the 24". I haven't heard anything about a box for it lately. I have a bunch of other things coming up though. I have a Sundown Zv4 18" to test and another UXL18 so I can get the distortion results. I also still have the SI HST18 driver so those are the next 3 tests. After that there is some more commercial offerings coming.

^^^ THEE drivers to test IMO. Three premium drivers the DIY community is always talking about. Well, two of the three anyways.

One question though- why waste time on the HST when it's not going to be produced? I could send you an SP4 at the drop of a hat. Still got one original shipping box just in case. :)

"I could send you an SP4 at the drop of a hat."

Testing that bad boy would be interesting. They output a lot of drivers, it only makes sense to see what they can do.

I remember when talking to Scott at Fi, when ordering my IB drivers, iirc ... he explained since they're typical sales were primarily car audio, they can essentially customize many of their offering's parameters more aligned to a HT user's needs. Whether or not they still mix and match various pieces, I don't know.

Josh, thanks for all your work ... tremendous.   

Rut ro....

I need to spend less time on eBay....

50%20mm%20l-gage.JPG

For those of you that don't know what this is, it is a laser displacement meter, accurate to a few hundredths of a mm through a 50 mm (+/- 25 mm) range.

This, plus ARTA (which I already have), my reference USB sound card, a burly amp (of which I have several), a calibrated mic (again, several on hand), and the cables and brackets to put it all together makes for a more than passable poor-boy's Klippel. I also scored a slightly less accurate, but much larger range Banner L-gage, that one is +/- 100 mm with an accuracy of a few mm. It cost me $20 less than this one. The nice thing about the Banner units is that like the Baumer unit that ARTA recommends, they are controllerless, you can just add power and get output, unlike the Keyence ones.

Now I just need the time to put it all together and let the smoke out of some drivers. 

Good score Mike! I keep meaning to keep an eye out for one of these but it's just one more in a long list of projects. I have to get a few others done first. That's my problem is I start a bunch of things but I get distracted and never finish them! Definitely interested in keeping up with your project.

Oh and about the HTS SI driver...I'm testing it because it was sent to me before the whole "we aren't making it for sale" thing happened and I committed to test it.

The next time I go out to the field it will be...

JBL 2242HPL

SI HTS18

Mach5 UXL18 (2014 version)

Sundown ZV4 18

The next time after that will be...

2 new subs from Chane  

Reaction audio vented sub

AE TD18H+ Apollo (hopefully)

Good score Mike! I keep meaning to keep an eye out for one of these but it's just one more in a long list of projects. I have to get a few others done first. That's my problem is I start a bunch of things but I get distracted and never finish them! Definitely interested in keeping up with your project.

Oh and about the HTS SI driver...I'm testing it because it was sent to me before the whole "we aren't making it for sale" thing happened and I committed to test it.

The next time I go out to the field it will be...

JBL 2242HPL

SI HTS18

Mach5 UXL18 (2014 version)

Sundown ZV4 18

The next time after that will be...

2 new subs from Chane  

Reaction audio vented sub

AE TD18H+ Apollo (hopefully)

Don't hold your breath waiting for me to get this done in the short term. I'm in the midst of (re)building my house, among other things.

Sounds like you've got a full plate too, I look forward to seeing the results.

• 3 months later...

I plan to look at the Alpine at some point. I am going to upload the RBH SX-1212 measurements in the next day or so and then I have the results from the BMS 18n862 in the sealed box to upload. That is a really nice driver. One of my favs at this point. Not going to compete with the XXX, LMS or Zv4 for sub bass output but it's still respectable and it does everything really well.

Still don't have a box for the 24". Haven't heard from Nick in a while. I figure he is busy.

Have some Reaction Audio subs up for testing next and following those will be Chane HT's new subs.

Already have some interest from other manufacturers for tests after that.

On the DIY front I want to get a Dayton UM-18 in...

• Like 1

I plan to look at the Alpine at some point. I am going to upload the RBH SX-1212 measurements in the next day or so and then I have the results from the BMS 18n862 in the sealed box to upload. That is a really nice driver. One of my favs at this point. Not going to compete with the XXX, LMS or Zv4 for sub bass output but it's still respectable and it does everything really well.

Still don't have a box for the 24". Haven't heard from Nick in a while. I figure he is busy.

Have some Reaction Audio subs up for testing next and following those will be Chane HT's new subs.

Already have some interest from other manufacturers for tests after that.

On the DIY front I want to get a Dayton UM-18 in...

did you get the "Mach5 UXL18 (2014 version)"   mentioned above tested? 

• 1 month later...

Nice job on the initial tests of the SI 24!

It's a shame that Nick has chosen to adjust the price to $1600!  I think TC Sounds has proven that pricing model does not work.  Sure it has roughly the displacement of two good 18s but $1600 just is over the top IMO.  Even at $999 he might have a prayer of doing some decent sales.  

• 4 weeks later...

The Fi Team 18 looks like it's gone through a few modifications since the last time I saw it.  Different cone, bigger surround, and a different motor with fewer slugs but they're larger in diameter.  

Similar xmax as the UXL, but possibly with more motor and increased thermal limits with the dual 4" coils.   

Call me crazy, but I stay on the lookout for a possible LMS 5400 replacement for the Ghorns in case I ever blow mine up.  HST-18 and Zv4 are a no go, and finding the UXL in stock is iffy.