Upcoming Testing Possibilities?

jpmst3

I wonder the same thing about TC sometimes. They have been really quiet for the last few years. Other than PE selling them you wouldn't hear anything. Those same driver designs have been produced for quite a few years now. I know they are working on new drivers and amps, etc...But that was mentioned years ago. Who knows.

I was talking with Nick from SI and he said that he and Jake actually inquired with the surround vendor about a 24" version of the new surround and the vendor said "No we cannot make it. Regardless of the tooling costs". I asked if they asked the vendor about a 21" surround then, but he said they did not. I haven't seen the surround on the 24" yet but it is pretty darn big to begin with much wider than the ones used on 18's like the UXL or Fi stuff so it should allow some extra to begin with.

Ricci have you ever dealt with any of the Radian woofers?

I was looking at the BC SW115 vs Radian 2216 Neo and the Radian is a monster but I don't know anything about their capabilities and specs. I know I can trust the BC's. The Radian is a LOT more money but I still wondered about the company. I know their CD's are quite impressive but that's about it.

Just curious is all as I have a pair of 18 Sound NLW9300's already. I have pushed one of them past Xmax for sure and they still sounded great. So if you ever get a chance to test the Radian that would be great. I know your more of an 18" or up guy.

No plans for any open baffle or dipole testing. Maybe at some point in the future with a known driver it would make a nice comparison to testing of the driver in other cabinet alignments.

I would test the Radian if someone sent it to me but myself (and others) are highly dubious of the Xmax claim. It is very likely peak to peak so cut the value in half. The depth/ weight/ back plate/ top plate/ sensitivity and type of woofer design indicate against it.

• 3 months later...

I would like to see the Chase 1 x 18" sealed subs passive FR. I took abuse from the Chase clan for calling bullshit on CC's multiple errant versions of the response vs what I believe was/is the real FR all along. Would be nice if I could match Josh's GP FR trace to my prediction and put the issue to rest either way.

I dunno what the Stereo Integrity 24 " driver will do with sine waves outdoors but I can tell anyone who's reading this that, with program source, the kind we all buy subs to reproduce, it is indeed the real deal.

(Gonna need a big and very well braced box to test that one properly.)

The LMS stuff, for example, measures well with sine waves and tone bursts but I've purchased some of them (LMS-U and LMS-R) to test here and have heard them in other systems and I must say that I'm less and less impressed with their actual performance in the real world. I don't know what to attribute to that phenomenon other than thinking that they require special signal chain/amplification hardware, but I hear a dramatic difference.

At the GTG, granted we did not have time to close-mic vs MLP measure both systems but the single 24" spanked the snot outta a pair of LMS-U with the available amplification vs impedance, using the same signal/source.

Dave...I just tested a few things last week. Some for Audioholics...and some you may find more interesting. I will have to build something for that 24" when Nick sends it.

Man, was I thinking of you at the GTG. I'd love you and my son Paul to meet as well. Woulda been too cool to have your input and opinions there for sure!

Yes, I'm always interested in your stuff. I'm your biggest fan and hit the hell outta your site.

Hope you're well and looking forward to the latest.

Yeah same here...I didn't realize how big that gtg was going to turn out. A lot of the guys I'd like to be able to put a face to a name were there.

I sort of burnt myself out on audio over the last couple of years so this winter I stepped back and got into some other hobbies and got away to the point of not even really reading the forums anymore. I needed it. Now I am ready to get back to it this summer.

I sort of burnt myself out on audio over the last couple of years so this winter I stepped back and got into some other hobbies and got away to the point of not even really reading the forums anymore. I needed it. Now I am ready to get back to it this summer.

GOOD to hear.

JSS

Yeah, that gtg, like the January gtg, looked like a good one.

Having met the principals involved at the Jan Heavyweights gtg, I knew it'd be a lot of fun. Those guys know how to do it up. As I said repeatedly in my huge review of the previous gtg, I found the best part is placing a face to a name and meeting like minded enthusiasts. This particular group possessing strong and unfiltered zeal for all relevant aspects of these gatherings. 

Josh and I discussed carpooling to the previous gtg, but it just didn't work out. Josh, I'm glad you achieved what you wanted with the break ... sounds like a wise move. Looking forward to your further work with Audioholics.

Ricci,

Could you test an IB driver?  I would love to have one of my drivers tested. 

Bosso,

How well did the Si18's perform? Same sound as the 24?  For the same price you could have 5 of them vs the 24.  Still, it is nice to know one could build a single sub and have it reach reference!  Damn impressive.