Thoughts on this driver for subwoofer use - AE TD15H+

moonfly

I'm using SI HT15 drivers at the moment in two dual opposed cabs. I'm thinking of changing them, partly due to a desire to downsize. I'm looking for something that will work well in small cabs with high sound quality, but those of you that know me will also be aware of my penchante for trying something new or different. Has anyone tried this diver or have any thoughts. I'm aware of its sheer output limitations, but using multiples will cure that. I'm using a mini DSP as well.

I think the TD15H+ is pretty expensive for your proposed application.  Plus, if you have to use multiples to make up the difference between the TD15H+ and the SI HT15, you lose most, if not all, of the space savings that you were hoping to gain by making the change.

I already have the two cabinets, but the TD15 model I am looking at will work in smaller cabinets. As you know, going smaller in size always demands a compromise somewhere. My cabinets are slightly undersized for the SI drivers, but will be slightly oversized for the TD drive units. This will result in a change in the system as a whole from a high Q system to a lower Q one. This is another element I want to change. I'm chasing sound quality above all else and 4 of the TD woofers will match a pair of the SI 15s for output down to 20hz, which if I am honest is eough for my requirements and satisfaction. Part of the reason for all of this is that currently my system suffers from 3rd order harmonics (some of which I am sure is attributable to the room)  and I can hear this quite clearly during certain scenes. I've already sold the drivers, but have them for some time before they have to be moved on, so I'm looking for a suitable replacement. As long as the replacements can meet my output criteria, namely 105db flat to 20hz, then I'll be happy with them.

I was hoping to buy the new AV woofers from AE, but being based in the UK they are prohibitively expensive. The TD woofers in this respect are nearly half the price. I cant make new larger cabs for the drivers I have now (Though I could try one driver per cabinet), so my choices are smaller cabs, or a suitable replacement driver that will work in my current cabs with a lower Q value, a driver that will work in smaller cabinets, or dropping to 12 inch drivers. I've been looking at the SDX12, which seems similar on paper to the SI driver units, but again shipping is quite expensive.

One last thing I like about AE drivers is the focus on low inductance. I used to own the original AV15s and to date they are the best driver for quality I've owned, so a desire to go back to AE comes from that as well.

Wait...New AV drivers?

The AE drivers I've heard certainly sound great. I don't know how much functional displacement the TDH will have though. Never used them.

Still waiting to get back my 2nd TD18h Apollo. It has been back to Green bay I believe 3 times. Coil issues. Other one seems to be fine but I'm afraid to do testing on it.

Wait...New AV drivers?

The AE drivers I've heard certainly sound great. I don't know how much functional displacement the TDH will have though. Never used them.

Still waiting to get back my 2nd TD18h Apollo. It has been back to Green bay I believe 3 times. Coil issues. Other one seems to be fine but I'm afraid to do testing on it.

Well they are stated as having 14mm of xmax. I willing to take a punt on them, starting with 2 to begin with. No response on my question in a week, and no reply to my request for a quote on 8 drivers has me a little concerned though. I wish John would learn to run things a little better, surely its not that hard to respond to a request for a quote.

Hello stranger :)

Will look forward to progress on this!

I guess you could always reduce the internal volume of the current boxes with some suitable placed MDF blocks if you wanted/needed to to tweak the Q?

I wouldnt actually need to modify my current cabs at all to run the TDH+ drivers, its just that I could build some smaller ones if I wanted, which I couldnt with the SI drivers. 

"I wish John would learn to run things a little better"

Seems to be a common sentiment ... and something he can't shake. That said, he does make some fine drivers.

He displayed AE's offerings at the recent Chicago Axpona, in the Seaton room. Working the room I got to talk audio/drivers with him both at the show and away from the show ... as you may imagine, good stuff.

In addition to displaying the TD12 variant Mark uses in the Cat12s, he displayed a metallic cone and an example of an entire driver set of individual basket spokes, frame, spacers, etc., that comprise all the components of a modular shared part system. All these elements are screwed together with fine threaded machine screws, and they fit together beautifully.

The premise is, instead of wait times and prices of castings, he water jets and machines in house, thus facilitating a easier prototyping and development of drivers. Holding and examining the various pieces and observing the fit tolerance, and the way all the parts fit together ... man these were very nice.

As I've shared before, I can't tell you how rewarding it was to work and dine and discuss all things audio with John (AE), Mark S, Jeff (JTR), and Brian (Speaker Power). Amazing conversation, a rare opportunity and very rewarding.

Mark made waves at the otherwise high end audio show. Big powerful 10hz waves rippling through the Westin structure. With (12)15"s, the assembled system had the goods. Art of Flight, and HTTYD, to a packed house (25-30 ppl), left some of the neighboring exhibitors quite jealous. I realize I've shared some of this before, but damn it was a lot of fun.

Back to the AE TD drivers, yes they're absolutely first rate if sound quality is paramount, and extended response into the infra range isn't important. I've got (6)TD12s up front in my Cat12s. With the high power on-board amplification that powers the TD12 drivers, the combination offers up the finest playback capability covering the two bass/mid-bass octaves from 50hz-200hz I've ever encountered.

Obviously, room acoustics are a big part of the equation in this range. Both SBIR and Decay times are inextricably linked to our perception of bass quality. But I'm truly convinced that range is expertly handled and right in the wheelhouse of the low inductance AE/TD design.

I've heard loudspeakers in the pro audio/studio environment, and countless others of all types, and the TD design offers capability that isn't bested by any other driver. Even side-by-side others, and also blind auditioning up against other so called heavyweights, it was clearly superior in the bass/midbass region.

Now I'm guessing there's horn loaded approaches that may equal the low distortion, apparent speed and cleanliness of my Cat12s, and other TD equipped systems. But inherent with such an approach comes the penalty of size.

Good luck, I hope you get a response from AE.

Thank you very much FOH. Ive enough experience behind me to know what Im doing, but you can beat feedback like this on products youve never used before. Its a shame the best products are so far away from us, makes t a bit more difficult to just take a punt.

Archived