Powersound Audio XS-15SE Measurements

Ricci

This is a capable, high value, sealed offering in my opinion. There are only a handful of commercial sealed subs under a grand that have proven to be worth consideration and this is one of them.

Any discussion of this subwoofer or its measurements should go here. 

Apologies if this is somewhat off topic given a fresh sub being measured but it does at least relate to the measurements :)

In the comments you say

Looking at the harmonic makeup of the distortion as usual the 3rd harmonic dominates where driver excursions are largest in the deep bass and the 2nd harmonic is the dominant harmonic above 30Hz. 

This is something I'd noticed in my own system (I've done some CEA-2010 tone based tests in room for various reasons on my sub) around the dominant distortion switching from 2nd to 3rd harmonic. The wording in bold says this is a normal thing, can you expand on why this is?

Thanks

Matt

Very simplified. Lower harmonics are less audible. Even order distortion. Like the 2nd harmonic are caused by asymmetries in the driver. All drivers have some asymmetry in the motor or in the movement. Odd order harmonics like the 3rd harmonic are cause by symmetric limitations. For example the driver suspension running out of stroke or an electronic component running out of voltage headroom. Lower frequencies cause greater displacements from the cone so it is closer to reaching those limits and higher distortion results.

Archived