Soundproofing and absorption (100hz to 10hz)

Stan

This thread is for the discussion of sound isolation and absorption for low frequencies. Please offer any advise, experience, and tips in constructing effective low frequency isolation solutions.

We all love our bass, that is why we are on this forum. But sometimes life takes a funny turn and you find yourself in a stupid rental with idiots for neighbors who hate bass, or you and the lady of the house disagree on what is an appropriate theatrical volume to enjoy a movie while she's reading a book. What about sound treatments for improving bass when you want to get the absolute most out of your gear?

These are just a few circumstances that can arise and can affect our personal enjoyment of our HT or stereo's. How do we overcome them? There is a growing mass of products, information, and professional advise. Please share what you know, show us pictures, and ask questions. ;)

Thank you.

As far as neighbors and people living in your place, if it is a rental, you are pretty much screwed, as it is a sound isolation issue. Bass trapping/absorption is usually higher in frequency than 100Hz, even though it is called 'bass' trapping. With very thick traps you can absorb some stuff down to around 50-60Hz, but the real 30-50Hz bass cinema wheelhouse will still get through.

What is the setup like?

JSS

Mine is a Funk Audio 18.0 active. Thinking about upgrading to two 18.0's or the new crazy sub that some guys are talking about on audioholics, or seaton subm, but i dont know if he's got dsp options in his stuff yet, or even just biting the bullet and getting Mark Kravchenko to design and build one.

As far as acoustics go, I found some cool products from Acoustiblok. And this site was good for helping me understand how wall, floor, and ceiling systems work.

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing101/understanding-stc/

I dont have any issues with noise, but I did, and I know some guys do... especially when it comes to bass. So I thought a forum thread dedicated to it could help.

Stan.

First and foremost, in an apartment, condo, or any multi-dwelling unit config'd scenario, I'd certainly recomend a nearfield sub set-up. Simple physics involved dictate the closer you can sit to the sub, the lower relative playback level needed. Some measure of additional isolation under the sub may help. Nothing fancy, just some foam etc, would be fine.

Bass trapping of any sort should sure help. Optimal alignment of sub/mains, so no energy is wasted whatsoever. Perhaps a tactile transducer, like the Crowson actuaters here; (http://crowsontech.com/go/crowsontech/3326/en-US/DesktopDefault.aspx).

Well treated space, nearfield sub iso'd from the floor, with tactile transducers on your seating, ...all that and you're good to go!

Good luck  

Near field sub......hmm......you have me thinking, FOH...

JSS

What are you thinking?

Yeah, back some time ago and prior to my much more elaborate system changes, I experimented thusly with some nearfield placement. I had Velodyne 15" subs, after some interesting relatively nearfield experiments (within 5 feet or so), I determined it seemed as if I was pretty sensitive to L-R localization asymmetry. Who knows why, upper range freqs/distortions drawing my attention, I don't know. I smoothed some FR issues, but never got it to blend properly and moved on.

Granted, these were decent subs in their time, almost 20yrs ago  :rolleyes:. I didn't have all the optimization tools, hardware nor acumen, that I'd like to think I possess now.  

I will have a newborn and a two year old soon, and the time for lighting up the house with LF content 10dB below reference may have come and gone for a while, but near field, I could set up just behind my main LP (futon) and see if I can run the setup quieter while still retaining impact.

Here's the current room setup:

https://picasaweb.google.com/johnstuartspencer22/HomeTheater02?authuser=0&feat=directlink

There is a front 'row' that is a low leather black leather futon now, but is hardly used. The LF response in the front row is Himalayan, in the main row it is pretty good. I was thinking some sealed 15s facing the rear of the futon for below 80Hz if I ever upgrade the line arrays (hopefully this year). The line arrays are crossed at 150Hz, hence the co-location of the horn sub mouths with the mains.

JSS

JSS,

With the kids around I think nearfield may be a good choice for you to retain some impact while keeping the bass bleed throughout the house reasonable. What about shakers in the couch? Or DIYing a couch with a couple sealed subs built in to get nearfield bass plus some shake in the furniture?

• 2 months later...

Difficult to prevent LF passage thru sheetrock walls.  Need heavy concrete block filled with sand or concrete walls like in studio isolation. Floating double sheetrock walls may barely cut it.  Maybe cheaper to set up neighbor with noise cancelling sound sytem ie: Microphone picking up your "noise" in neighbors place with preamp with 180 degree reversal to power amp and speakers to cancel your noise.  Another option noise cancelling headphones. or  Get a hit man...Just joking!!! 

Archived