• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 Seek

Seek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:24 AM

Would "Pompeii" be a contender? My rig is not ULF capable as is (Fi Q15 housed temporarily in a 92L 25hz tuned BR, until I can finish the Lil'wrecker for it), but it sure enough beat on the house. I suspect a great deal of the energy is in the ~30hz range, but I may have missed a great deal of content below that. 

• RobertMr, Braifaraglisp, WelisdeyMAIB and 1 other like this

#22 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:24 PM

Pompeii was measured here and, while it has some very solid content at 30Hz and below, I don't think there was any scene that would be fitting for this thread.

#23 Aj72

Aj72

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:20 AM

The Helicarriers taking off in Captain America WS was pretty good I thought for what seemed to be a fairly long time?

Edit: Viewed again and probably doesn't qualify for this list. Not continuous enough

#24 MiniHT

MiniHT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:41 PM

I have a few scene's for you Nube..

Flight of the Phoenix (DTS-HD MSTR) 1:31:18-1:31:48 -- For some reason all that's ever talked about is the epic "barrel roll" scene (for good reason) but there are many good scenes throughout.  The gasoline explosion is great as well, but is more of a single effect so I didn't include that.

Phantom (DTS-HD MSTR) 0:30:17-0:31:00 -- Probably my favorite bass scene in the movie, although there are many more great moments... this is, iirc, the longest.

Live Free or Die Hard (DTS-HD MSTR) 0:11:41-0:15:05 -- I know this is a very long scene.  This is from the very first gunshot to the explosion.  I doubt you could count this as a "continuous" bass scene as there are a few short dialog breaks in between gunfire.  Willis' hand gun and the sub-machine guns have some serious weight to them. 

A serious workout for any capable sealed system.  I have 2 JTR Cap S2's in ~840 cubes and these scene's put a hurtin' on my room running flat at reference.  Thanks for all of your contributions on here and over at AVS.  I always look forward to your posts.  More scene's to come.. 

#25 SME

SME

Super Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:47 AM

I'm a bit late to the party, but finally watched OHF.  (Warning: minor spoiler ahead.)  Of all the captures on the site, the Washington monument scene is the one that threatened to do the most damage to my pair of Hsu subs.  When listening, I played back at -6 dB, but will test my limits carefully with higher levels in the morning.  In any case, I was very surprised by the effect.

From the scene description and the trace, I assumed I was going to get a lot of trembling and shaking from bombs exploding or something.  Instead I got a series of tight yet powerful crunches that I felt from my head all the way down to my gut.  Color me surprised, but it sounded exactly like I'd imagine large slabs of concrete to sound like while buckling and splitting apart!  It reminded me of the sound of the Bridge of Khazad-dum crumbling in Fellowship of the Ring, except with a whole lot more power and bottom end.  I'm also happy it came out so clean from my subs, albeit at -6.  :)

While I didn't care for the movie that much, the soundtrack was superb.  The explosions were great.  Very tight and full-bottomed bass.

Edit: On second watch, I'm not sure I would describe the Washington Monument scene of Olympus has Fallen scene in the same way.  This time, I noticed more of what I expected -- a sense of continuous erratic trembling.  Perhaps the higher playback levels brought the deep bass out more and made it sound less tight.  In any case, the scene is still quite impressive.  At "0", my woofers were moving pretty vigorously.  Without the -3 dB shelf I have below 25 Hz, that scene probably would have been too much.

#26 vfor91

vfor91

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:53 PM

If I may, I'd also like to add some suggestions that might make your list. The first being a scene from the amazing spiderman (I believe near the end of chapter 13) where the lizardman encounters a swat team, it has decent length, depth, and amplitude from what I could perceive.

Actually two more scenes just from the first amazing spiderman, when he first gets his powers and is sleeping on a train (very strong frequency sweeps). Also the ending scene where he slingshots himself from a crane arm (just for the depth, seems even stronger than the dragon crash in httyd).

Also the first dragon fire scene from beowulf is pretty intense.

The hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy also has a nice extended bass scene when the vogon ships first arrive to earth (their low frequency droning lasts for a while). 

And though perhaps not as long or as deep,  near the ending of cloverfield when the monster fully reveals itself has some pretty high amplitude bass (though the alley encounter scene might definitely prove to be a more worthy choice).

Forgive me for the spastic nature of this post,  your work is wonderful and these scenes are merely suggestions.

#27 Trigen

Trigen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:45 PM

What about Jurassic Park 3 with the scenes dealing with the Spinosaur. Would they fit in the list?

#28 bao

bao

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 03:29 PM

Hurt Locker? There is some low stuff in the first 30 sec of the film when the logos are still going by - sort of like EoT. I guess all the rest are short duration since they are IEDs exploding

#29 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,851 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 18 October 2014 - 03:34 PM

Check the first post. Hurt Locker is linked there, and has some scenecaps.

JSS

#30 bao

bao

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:26 PM

i searched for "hurt" on first page but didn't find it?

#31 bao

bao

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:37 PM

Which is better: FotP barrel roll or OHF monument collapse? I have FotP BD and was thinking about buying a used copy of OHF BD. The firs time i saw OHF i streamed it on Vudu because rotten tomatoes gave it something like 40% and sure enough i thought it was a terrible movie but the BD might still be good for sub demo purposes.

thanks

#32 bao

bao

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:42 PM

Can we add EoT to the first post?

#33 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,851 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:11 PM

Once voting is complete, it'll get updated on the first post.

Hurt Locker Here:

http://data-bass.ipb...sic-etc/?p=1576

It is 4.75 Star, listed on the first post.  It is best to go to first post and use 'Ctrl-F' to search the first post.

JSS

#34 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,851 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:12 PM

Which is better: FotP barrel roll or OHF monument collapse? I have FotP BD and was thinking about buying a used copy of OHF BD. The firs time i saw OHF i streamed it on Vudu because rotten tomatoes gave it something like 40% and sure enough i thought it was a terrible movie but the BD might still be good for sub demo purposes.

thanks

Depends if you like ~30Hz (FOTP) or ~20Hz (OHF) better.

JSS

#35 MemX

MemX

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:48 PM

Just to link to Bosso's post in the rating thread, Earth to Echo looks good!

Man, I wish I'd seen your level rating of 5 stars before I popped this one in, Abraham. :o

I was running the SW out at +7dB for a weak sauce-level flick and forgot to reset it flat. I had to jump    on the remote and back it down.

This SpecLab cap runs over a minute and ten seconds and it didn't get the whole effect on the screen! This cap was made with the subs at +2dB hot. Check out the waveform... maxed out and RELENTLESSLY getting stronger as the scene progresses. Also, check out the twin sine sweeps buried in there at 35 Hz and 40 Hz, slowly rising to 40 Hz and 45 Hz for 20 seconds!

Bosshog shit, this one is. :P

6d26d73cfc401ede6feced632aba39b5.jpg

#36 Reefdvr27

Reefdvr27

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:59 PM

I watched X-Men Last Stand last night and there is scene towards the end of the movie where they goto Jean's house and the whole room is moving from her powers. Seemed like a pretty good run of bass to me, but did not seem that deep. I had the volume a little lower as it was around 10:30pm. Wondering if this scene would fit in here?

#37 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,851 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 08 January 2015 - 01:00 AM

I think that scene was graphed on the original 'Master List' thread at AVS....

JSS

#38 Aj72

Aj72

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:28 PM

How about the Club scene from John Wick. A super cool scene this one just revisited it myself only hotter this time than previously. Not sure if it belongs in this thread but pounds for some time.

#39 Bossobass Dave

Bossobass Dave

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:41 PM

I took the 2 screen caps from the club scene and combined them onto one graph. You're right, Aj, this scene is over 3 minutes of full bandwidth transients. I'll also reiterate my previous observation about the background drone of every even numbered frequency from 4 Hz through 114 Hz... awesome stuff. I enjoyed it. Actually, the sound elevated the movie from ho-hum to excellent, IMO.

0d7059a01bc97ced9f3d6bdb32606dce.png

#40 MemX

MemX

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:07 PM

My neighbours will look forward to that one... :lol:

Ooh, and Bosso - that Earth to Echo capture, was it done on the clip-tastic 105?  If so, would be interesting to see it on a non-clipping machine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users