1. 1. Execution?

• 5 Stars
    • 4 Stars
    • 3 Stars
    • 2 Stars
    • 1 Star
  2. 2. Recommendation?

Frozen (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (108.2dB composite)
Extension - 2 Stars (24Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.11dB)

Execution - 2 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

Notes: I had really high hopes for this one, but it didn't pan out at all.  It's filtered at 36Hz.  The best effects barely get below 30Hz with any authority.  And, contrary to the film's IMDb rating, the movie itself wasn't very compelling at all.  About the best thing in this movie was the singing, which was pretty good.

PvA:

post-17-0-57112300-1395156265_thumb.png

I agree with your assessment of the movie. Not very much deep bass and i feel that it didn't have the spaciousness and cohesive soundfield that the really outstanding soundtracks possess. Other than the singing, Olaf was the highlight of the movie. I still enjoyed it for the most part.

• 3 weeks later...

Two stars and rent for me.  Bass was anemic, the story was contrived, and the only thing it had going for it was the decent singing.  If you hate singing movies, you will certainly detest this. 

Seems like every time they turn around, they burst into a new song.  My wife and I love animated films, but we both agreed this one does not belong in our collection (of almost EVERY animated film).

• 2 years later...

I finally watched this with my wife with somewhat higher expectations than perhaps we should have had.  This was a real disappointment of a movie, and the soundtrack totally failed to redeem the movie as well.

I don't know about anyone else, but I thought the dialog and singing sounded like ass.  I mean, apart from all the glaringly obvious use of auto-tune and digital processing to alter the singers' voices (similar to "Into The Woods"), I thought the dialog and song tracks sounded hyper-compressed and were mixed too hot relative to the rest of the sound.  The few times I heard the score playing, I thought it sounded kind of nice, but the excessive dialog level drowned everything out and had me turning down the playing level on this movie relative to most titles.

Unfortunately, I'm starting to notice a pattern here in which many (but not all) recent Disney releases have compressed soundtracks and especially hyper-compressed dialog.  I have no idea if this treatment does in fact improve dialog intelligibility on TV speakers or whatever, but I don't find it helpful at all on my system.  Upper mids in inflections tend to be overemphasized making it sound like everyone is yelling all the time.  Meanwhile every bit of nuance is either unrealistically accentuated or lost completely.  It's bad enough to make me avoid buying anything Disney without renting first.  I am a huge fan of Studio Ghibli films for which Disney has exclusive U.S. distribution rights, and in my opinion, this kind of treatment to the audio is very degrading to these films and to the talents of the voice actors.

Archived