Photo

The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

Bass Movies Bass Movie Measurements Deep Bass Movies Bass Waterfall Graphs Bass Graphs

• Please log in to reply
3820 replies to this topic

#1941 grantisgrant

grantisgrant

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:21 PM

Couple of comments:

It's amazing how big a difference between 28 days and weeks later there is.  One release in 2002, the other in 2007, one with better everything it seems.  It also looks like Sherlock 1 has better extension in terms of level, but cheats the 1 Hz rating, while Sherlock 2 has a fantastic overall, but not more centered around 40-50 Hz? Is that right?

• Braifaraglisp likes this

#1942 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:06 PM

Sherlock Holmes 1 would be a legitimate 5 star execution movie with its 8Hz hit, but the 2nd one has more content between 3-8Hz.  The biggest differences are the levels and dynamics, which makes the first sound like a significantly better and louder bass movie in most respects.

#1943 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:23 PM

Knights of Badassdom (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (108.22dB composite)
Extension - 2 Stars (22Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.62dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.25 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

PvA:

Attached File  KnightsOfBadassdom-PvA.PNG   116.53KB   0 downloads

#1944 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:24 PM

Also remeasured The Matrix 2 & 3 - they both stayed the same overall score.  Thank you Netflix!  ;)

#1945 Kool-aid23

Kool-aid23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:28 AM

Thank you gentlemen for your time and effort on pumping out these movies!

#1946 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:36 AM

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (7.1 TrueHD)

Level        - 4 Stars (111.86dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (3Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (32.25dB)

Execution - 5 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 4.75 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

Notes:  This one surprised me; I didn't remember it being this loud or low.  Yet, it really is.  Some harshness/clipping in places, but the numbers don't lie - this one's in the big leagues.  Shallow rolloff below the big peak at 30Hz, but there are significant effects below 20Hz that really add to the presentation. If you haven't watched this recently, it's worth revisiting if you can stand the so-so MI plot.

PvA:

Attached File  MissionImpossibleGhostProtocol-PvA.PNG   79.75KB   7 downloads

#1947 jonam

jonam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

Any chance of trying some of the Bond movies, recently watched Goldeneye and there appears to be something wrong,completely wrong with the entire track and that includes the bass. Appears they may have used the master from the 1999 DVD. Bass is boomy and muddy. I believe Lowry or whoever did this has messed up on this popular Bond movie.

Top films,

Pierce Brosnan

Goldeneye

Tomorrow Never Dies

The World is Not Enough

Die Another Day

Timothy Dalton

The Living Daylights

Licence To Kill

Roger Moore

The Spy Who Loved Me

Moonraker

For Your Eyes Only

Octopussy

A View To A Kill

George Lazenby

On Her Majesty's Secret Service (Appears there could be some low end during the avalanche scene near the end as this had been filmed in stereo, the first Bond film to use the technology)

Sean Connery

Never Say Never Again

You Only Live Twice

Will be Interesting to see the measurements for the Brosnan movies, wonder if Lowry has  done a good job, Tomorrow Never Dies sounded explosive mostly in the mids.

#1948 tuxedocivic

tuxedocivic

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:01 PM

Any chance of trying some of the Bond movies, recently watched Goldeneye and there appears to be something wrong,completely wrong with the entire track and that includes the bass. Appears they may have used the master from the 1999 DVD. Bass is boomy and muddy. I believe Lowry or whoever did this has messed up on this popular Bond movie.

I mentioned this a while back in this thread. It was terrible. As a big fan of this when it came out, rewatching it years later on a proper system was a major let down. I just blamed it on the era.

#1949 tuxedocivic

tuxedocivic

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:02 PM

Yes! This one is fun. I liked the movie too (ya, some cheesy stuff). I asked MK theatre to do some measurements of the SUV crash into the river some time ago. It didn't have much ULF, but sure feels like it. Maybe Mk's setup wasn't quite tuned up right at the time. Good bass movie.

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (7.1 TrueHD)

#1950 lfe man

lfe man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:58 PM

Thanks nube :)

#1951 Mcstyvie

Mcstyvie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

Nice Nube!  will be adding that to my rental list...

I would like to request "Adventures in Zambezia".  Based on the one graph posted at the other forum (post 16086 pg. 537) this movie could be excellent. 

It shows content down below 5Hz...I would post the graph, but have tried now four times and cannot post a link or a pic.

Cheers,

McStyvie

#1952 wth718

wth718

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:43 PM

I'd be very interested in seeing "The Returned" graphed. Not a bass monster by any means, but it had this very palpable low end (largely unsupported by upper bass frequencies) to create a certain feeling for the movie. I was just seeing the lights on my amp and feeling this pressure during certain scenes. Good stuff, IMO.

#1953 Aj72

Aj72

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:49 PM

Hey guys first post here. One of my Captivators made a slight flapping sound during one scene in particular the other day and I wanted to know if it was due to being below port tune. It was during Hellboy2 the Golden Army at the 14min.30sec mark of the film right after Abe and the other guy finish talking and the door gets ripped off then flys past both off them. I do have the HPF a bit lower than port tune (15Hz) and after I did hear the flap I adjusted up to around 18Hz. It was pretty much gone after this but just interested to find out. The lower 15Hz setting has never revealed a problem with other scenes that go below port tune such as OHF Monment scene or WWZ Grenade Scene so wondering what's so different about the Hellboy 2 scene?

#1954 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:11 PM

jonam,

I'll add the Pierce Brosnan ones to the list, though I'm not super hopeful for their bass content because they're so old.  As for the older ones with previous Bonds, there's basically no point in adding because they were made back before there was really any bass content in movies.  Thanks, though!  :)

Mcstyvie,

I added Zambezia to the list.  Thanks!  :)

wth718,

I added The Returned to the list!  :)

Aj72,

I don't have HB2, but I'm betting the offending content was at or just below your HPF and fairly hot.  As for the other movies not exhibiting this behavior, their hot content is probably far enough below your HPF so as to not cause this issue, especially when combined with signal chain rolloff, etc. 

Back when I had a 2011 Ported Captivator, I ran without a HPF (cuz I only fed it ~1800W via bridged EP4000) and only ever heard it make that slight flapping sound at the beginning of the Hulk Sonic Cannons scene (timestamp 0:54:50 - 0:54:57) when there's that big hit centered at 14Hz before the sweep starts moving up.

b478f0e1_tih-sc-sweep.PNG

Try that scene and see if it makes the same noise with your original HPF.

#1955 jonam

jonam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

jonam,

I'll add the Pierce Brosnan ones to the list, though I'm not super hopeful for their bass content because they're so old.  As for the older ones with previous Bonds, there's basically no point in adding because they were made back before there was really any bass content in movies.  Thanks, though!  :)

Thank You Nube, I see your point and thanks for adding the Brosnan movies, will be interesting to see how Goldeneye fares.  Die Another Day hopefully should be decent as it does sound great in the mids. As too Tomorrow, but World is Not Enough did sound somewhat quiet.

#1956 Aj72

Aj72

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:17 PM

Thanks Nube. I've played the sonic cannon scene many times and whilst I've never noticed a flapping sound their (the Caps) execution of that scene is not quite perfect. It's only slight but just enough to take you out of the realism of that scene. This and the above mentioned scene are the only times I've noticed anything not sounding quite right after watching many movies and the most demanding scenes. I will try Hulk scene with the high pass set at 18Hz though, something I didn't try before. Definitely a scene better suited to sealed enclosures and not one at the top of my list for demonstration. I have dual Caps and use a Behringer EP 4000 bridged as well for the right hand side. The left side is powered by a Crown XLS5000 bridged. I have two different model Caps (2011&2013). I've swapped the two different Caps around yielding the same result. Left side doesn't make any noise on either scene so I figured it must be the EQ setting on MIC2200 for right channel. Dayton V2 used to measure response of both Caps simultaneously for EQ.

#1957 lfe man

lfe man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:50 PM

Hey guys first post here. One of my Captivators made a slight flapping sound during one scene in particular the other day and I wanted to know if it was due to being below port tune. It was during Hellboy2 the Golden Army at the 14min.30sec mark of the film right after Abe and the other guy finish talking and the door gets ripped off then flys past both off them. I do have the HPF a bit lower than port tune (15Hz) and after I did hear the flap I adjusted up to around 18Hz. It was pretty much gone after this but just interested to find out. The lower 15Hz setting has never revealed a problem with other scenes that go below port tune such as OHF Monment scene or WWZ Grenade Scene so wondering what's so different about the Hellboy 2 scene?

Attached File  01430.bmp   3.75MB   61 downloads Here you go, One of the lowest sweeps in any movie. :wacko:

#1958 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:25 AM

attachicon.gif01430.bmp Here you go, One of the lowest sweeps in any movie. :wacko:

Thanks for the graph, lfe man!  :)  I wouldn't really call it a sweep as it doesn't go up or down in frequency much if at all.  It's just one big effect.

I made it smaller so people wouldn't have to download the 3.75MB file:

df534fe6_Hellboy2-0.14.30-Door.PNG

#1959 Aj72

Aj72

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:29 AM

Great! Thanks for that LFE man I knew it was a pretty powerful scene and makes sense as to why it caused my Caps a little grief below port tune. Never a scene that gets much of a mention around the bass parts? Anyone with sealed subs that dig deep care to comment on how they liked it?

#1960 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

As ya'll can see, the forum has been divided into Bass Gear and Bass Content forums so we don't clutter threads regarding Ricci's awesome work (and the real aim of the site).  It's a change for the better so that important gear topics don't get lost in the movie polling spam.  ;)  Do note that Ricci is, in my mind, the foremost sub tester out there, and he does great work that is to be lauded and examined.  So, don't just come here for the movie measurements; check out what he's doing, too, and ask any questions you have over there!

On this side of things, I've pinned all the topics that still need votes.  They'll remain that way until they're retired, which is usually after two weeks of voting, longer if they are lacking votes or need tiebreakers.  Essentially, they'll stay until enough folks watch them and vote on them.  Enjoy your home theaters with some movies you can trust will be good and have good bass.

With all the new requests, I've been sourcing movies to measure from Netflix and locally from friends, and I have a huge backlog of measurements to post.  So, if you have the time, revisit some of these great bass movies and cast your votes!  :)  Thanks!

Aj72,

That entire movie is full of spots like that, so I don't remember that scene standing out exactly.  Great bass movie, and its predecessor ain't bad either (I'll post measurements as soon as some of these older ones get voted on).

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)