Photo

The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

Bass Movies Bass Movie Measurements Deep Bass Movies Bass Waterfall Graphs Bass Graphs

• Please log in to reply
3856 replies to this topic

#1761 tuxedocivic

tuxedocivic

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:56 AM

I can't imagine why it would be a whole different mix. I mean, even the video between DVD and blu ray is usually the same for a new release. Why would the developers waste their time. Then again, why would they waste their time printing a disc with lossy audio just for the rental market. As if that changes many minds.
  • Braifaraglisp likes this

#1762 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,833 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:31 AM

Because with a DD track you only have to use a single layer BD. The DD track is different, with only 16Hz extension, lower level, and essentially equal dynamics. I'm not that big a fan of the film to buy it, and LionsGate's cheapness in not including the lossless track just solidified my decision not to.

JSS

#1763 tuxedocivic

tuxedocivic

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:35 PM

Ah ya, that makes sense.

I to have become quite critical of what I buy based on stupid shenanigans the studios pull.

#1764 pmr

pmr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

I can't imagine why it would be a whole different mix. I mean, even the video between DVD and blu ray is usually the same for a new release. Why would the developers waste their time. Then again, why would they waste their time printing a disc with lossy audio just for the rental market. As if that changes many minds.

It's not a whole different mix.  It's the same DD 5.1 that's already included on the Blu Ray Disc.  They're just stripping off the lossless, just like they strip off the "extras".  This is an obvious attempt to get people to buy the disc.

However, if people who really care about the "best possible" audio rent the disc and it sounds and measures blah, is this an incentive the buy the disc hoping that the audio is better??  I doubt it. 

Of course 99% of the population couldn't care less and don't have the equipment to tell the difference anyway...

• pmr likes this

#1765 Reefdvr27

Reefdvr27

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

You guys are killing me. I had Enders game in my hand yesterday and put it back. Best Buy has been running some serious Blu Ray sales. Just about half of the Blu Rays in the store other than new releases have been priced at 7.99 or 11.99. I bought a handful of disc's I have been holding off on. Looks like I am running back out to get it. 

As usual, thanks to those that put this thread together. This is my goto thread for movie bass. I don't even look in the other bass thread anymore. 

#1766 FOH

FOH

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationCentral Indiana

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:25 AM

"As usual, thanks to those that put this thread together. This is my goto thread for movie bass. I don't even look in the other bass thread anymore."

^   this, +1

Yep, made that switch back in '12, there is no stronger, soundtrack savvy group than the core of this thread.  

#1767 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,833 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:28 AM

Don't forget that you are part of that core, FOH!

JSS

#1768 Infrasonic

Infrasonic

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:39 AM

Guys are doing great work here. :)

#1769 bmoney

bmoney

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:53 PM

Enders game is bad a--

Great mix! I voted 5 star execution. Not a bad movie either (watching it now and it's better the second time through)

#1770 tuxedocivic

tuxedocivic

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

I watched Rush last night. Really impressive dynamics. I enjoyed the race scenes immensely. The only really noticeable ULF for me was just after THE crash there's a waft of flames and the sound design did this nice wafting of sound over my room with the flames. Make the house creak otherwise it may have blended into the scene even more and gone unnoticed. Which would have been a good thing actually.

The rest of the extension is there, but just so well balanced with the snapping engines and squawking tires that its really not attention grabbing, in such a very very good way.

This is the kind of sound mix I put so much effort into my HT for. Mind you, I'm a gear head so that made it extra special for me.

WAF alert, the boobs and excessive swearing lessened the experience for me because my wife is really not into that stuff. If that's the same for your household, beware there's several boob scenes and a whole lot of f bombs and such.

#1771 FOH

FOH

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

We too watched Rush last night. I echo much of the sentiment, a fantastic film with nice balanced mix that never draws attention to itself.

It really captured the 70's quite well, IMO. The portrayal of the F1 scene, but focused primarily just on these two players, just refreshingly good for a racing film,... most suck, this didn't.

I'll elaborate more about ST specifics in another post. Highly recommended.

Ron Howard did a great job, I saw countless period details that were spot on.    

#1772 Bossobass Dave

Bossobass Dave

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:44 PM

I thought it was engaging and entertaining

Spoiler
After that, it really really sped through plot points that deserved much more attention, leaving the last 45min or so feeling rushed and a little confusing, even if you have no prior knowledge of the book.  I feel like Harrison Ford is old, tired, and wimpy looking.  It's something about his combination of droopy, sad-looking eyebrows and his stroked out, uneven mouth that doesn't do it for me.  I can't take him seriously, at all.

The mix is good, but not great.  There isn't the weighty, meaty feeling of lots of sub-20Hz content that makes All Is Lost and other recent ELF (<30Hz) champs so good.  Although it does have some unfiltered ELF content, it mostly feels like a blockbuster action movie crafted to perfectly exemplify the loudness wars of recent years. 

Again, it's good but not great.  The hardcore folks who run their subs with huge house curves, or +eleventy billion hot, will love it, while the more subdued sub dudes will find this mix less balanced than many of the others in the 4.75-5 Star range.

I couldn't have written it better to describe my feelings during and after watching EG.

Harrison Ford… whatever. Who'd he kill to get many of the roles he sucked at?

The sound design has nothing unique in the low end, whereas the story/visuals begged for unique sounds (the WMD for one example). Going all the way back to AOTC with the chrome ship flyover, I've always appreciated low end sound design that is as unique as the alien and futuristic earthly contraptions it's coupled with. For me, that's what makes the 1st Transformers, WOTW, TIH and, more recently, the drones in Oblivion top rank MWB.

None of that in the EG mix, IMO, and agreeing 100% with your post.

Consistently great input, Abraham. Much appreciated.

• Infrasonic likes this

#1773 Bossobass Dave

Bossobass Dave

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:34 PM

Phantom:

f9320a3a0f07a0a5642e489f50f08331.jpg

a8dfaf8166d73a6481f8cd67048e5856.jpg

Level - 5 Stars (115.4dB Composite!)

Extension - 5 Stars (8Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.1dB)

Execution - 4 Stars by Poll

Overall - 4.75 Stars

Recommendation - RENT.

This film is riddled by clipping.  Attached is how much.  Clipping is in red.  Channels are L, R, C, LFE, SL, SR.

Very impressive PvA, a little something for everyone in it.  

JSS

#1774 bmoney

bmoney

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:37 PM

Just realized Finding Nemo has not been graphed!! An you throw that one in the mix? Darla tap scene is my all time favorite demo (even if it is not a deep reaching scene it makes me laugh every time)

#1775 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,833 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:08 AM

The sound design has nothing unique in the low end, whereas the story/visuals begged for unique sounds (the WMD for one example). Going all the way back to AOTC with the chrome ship flyover, I've always appreciated low end sound design that is as unique as the alien and futuristic earthly contraptions it's coupled with. For me, that's what makes the 1st Transformers, WOTW, TIH and, more recently, the drones in Oblivion top rank MWB.

Agree with the above and nube's comments re EG. Nice, but not special. Great visuals, good (could have been so much better) sound.

JSS

#1776 Infrasonic

Infrasonic

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:24 PM

Can't say enough how awesome you guys, this thread and DataBass.com is.

#1777 FOH

FOH

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:03 AM

Finally got the opportunity for Elysium, really enjoyed the spectral balance ... Nube was right .. it's got the stuff, and I really enjoy the way the effects were implemented (sound design). Few big bombastic broadband high level effects, but the deep pulsating stuff, the room shaking energy,... was both appropriate for the scenes and well executed.

The movie, decent but that's another review. Again, the balance ... lovely, few if any crushing, reach for the volume effects. Just the deep stuff, loved the sound of this one because of the balance

Nube, thanks for graphing this one, some good demo worthy material, I'd have to view it again to single out my faves. 

Thanks

#1778 tuxedocivic

tuxedocivic

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:19 AM

I watched escape plan while off sick for work today. I can't say there was much impressive bass. The whole sound mix in general was a little blah. And the level was to low (and I rarely say that). But then it occurred to me, this was a redbox rental. Did I get burned by the lossy format getting put on the rental disc? I returned it before I could find out. I haven't voted on execution because I need to factor this in but unsure what I actually heard.

#1779 bmoney

bmoney

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:28 PM

Yes the rental was lossy dd

#1780 tuxedocivic

tuxedocivic

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

Thanks bmoney. Dang, I didnt think it would bother me all that much. But it is like listening to mp3s...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users