Photo

The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

Bass Movies Bass Movie Measurements Deep Bass Movies Bass Waterfall Graphs Bass Graphs

• Please log in to reply
3923 replies to this topic

#1621 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:41 PM

I prolly was a little exuberant with my notes on Elysium, but I really liked it.  It is not chock full of constant surround effects or bass, and since I'm merely 5.1, I don't know how the rear channels impact the sound.  I only know that the bass was used quite well, and I overall liked the soundtrack quite a bit.  I don't think it has the subtlety of some recent movies, but it also has a lot more low end than most decent 2013 releases.  It's in my personal 2013 top 5 movies with bass.

I don't feel like JSS and I are reviewing these titles so much as measuring them and adding a few of our own personal notes.  As to actual reviews, they clearly prioritize the 30-50Hz region, likely because that's the most audible in their systems.  Compare the AVS reviews of Pacific Rim or Man of Steel to Elysium (or even Oblivion) and you know what I mean.  This isn't a pot shot at Ralph or others, it's just an acknowledgment that they're doing something wholly different.  There's room for lots of different approaches in this world.  :)

As a final note, I would recommend everyone rent first and buy later, in almost every case.  There are too many intangibles to definitively conclude whether or not you're going to like a movie before watching it.  My perspective is I usually don't even look at movies below a 6.0 IMDb rating unless they're recommended by others.  7.0 and above are usually the only ones that get permanent places in my stable, and 8.0 and above are about the only ones that ever get re-watched.  But, that's just me.

• Braifaraglisp and WelisdeyMAIB like this

#1622 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:58 PM

Oh, I also measured the Prisoners Blu-ray (5.1 DTS-HD MA), in case anyone was wondering about it.  Supposedly a good movie, but it scored low on bass so I didn't think it should be included here.  These are its measurements, for comparison's sake.

Level        - 1 Stars (102.4dB composite)
Extension - 1 Stars (26Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (34.26dB)

PvA wasn't even worth posting.

#1623 MKtheater

MKtheater

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

Nube, there is a scene at 23:25 during Elysium that I wonder how low it goes.  After the accident they drag him to the medical room.  A nice sweep that goes very low.  Still hard to tell on concrete but I will rewatch it from the back row on the riser and see how different it is.  I watched it at reference and the bass 3 dBs hot. 

#1624 tuxedocivic

tuxedocivic

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:21 PM

Nube, I wasn't talking about you and Max as reviewers ;)

#1625 djbluemax1

djbluemax1

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

I agree that the bass in Elysium was actually pretty darn good. The overall level of this movie (even the dialogue) seemed a fair bit lower though. Watching this movie at Reference felt softer than some movies at -10db!

As for the movie itself, I wouldn't call it the greatest, but still good enough to earn a spot in my stable. I didn't really have much of a problem with the acting the way some reviews did. Jodie Foster's character is that of a cold, hard b###h and her performance was fine for it, as was Matt Damon and Alice Braga's. Their scripts just didn't have that much depth in them but they did well with the material they were dealt.

Hats off to Sharlto Copley for his performance as Kruger though. The difference between his characters in District 9 and A-Team vs this character were pretty stark and he pulls off the 'crazed attack dog' brilliantly.

Max

#1626 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:53 PM

MKT,

I'll take a look and add it to the measurements post if it's any good.  If you or anyone else has other suggestions, I'll look at graphing those as well.

tux,

Your comment just reminded me that I wanted to mention that we're not really reviewers.  I see a lot of references on AVS made to the "Data-Bass review of so-and-so movie" and I hope those people realize we're measuring, not reviewing.

#1627 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:03 PM

MKT,

That one you mentioned isn't low. 

Attached File  Elysium-0.23.21-0.23.27.PNG   22.3KB   4 downloads

You really like the 20Hz on up stuff, don't you?  ;) :lol:

I added it and another to the Elysium measurements post.

#1628 MKtheater

MKtheater

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:43 PM

I like it all, I felt subtle pulses and weight, not the sweep.

#1629 tommyboy81

tommyboy81

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:43 PM

a lot of the action in the new Percy Jackson seems compressed.  It's not as loud as the normal volume. :(

The other tracks sound louder.  hm.

#1630 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,851 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:33 AM

saving a place for:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1:

Level - 3 Stars (108.95dB composite)

Extension - 3 Stars (16Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (32.52dB)

Execution - TBD

Overall - TBD

Recommendation - TBD

I just wasn't drawn to the last two films as much as I was to the earlier ones.  It is nice that the Avg graph digs deeper than the peak.  

JSS

Attached Files

#1631 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,851 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:37 AM

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2:

Level - 4 Stars (110.38dB composite)

Extension - 4 Stars (14Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.3dB)

Execution - TBD

Overall - TBD

Recommendation - TBD

I like the fact that the average graph digs deeper than the peak.  That means most lower level and broadband effects do dig deep.  I didn't enjoy the last two films as much as the 2nd, 4th and 5th films.

Attached Files

#1632 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:34 PM

Insidious Chapter 2 (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 2 Stars (106dB composite)
Extension - 4 Stars (11Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (33.56dB)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.75 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

Notes:  Will update if I ever watch it.

PvA:

Attached File  InsidiousCh2-PvA-HighRes.PNG   80.38KB   0 downloads

#1633 Nicke

Nicke

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:44 AM

Max,i think you should give "The Conjuring" a test contains some nice bass,be aware though its a horrorflick that i know you dont like ; )

#1634 bmoney

bmoney

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

Here's a few you can try out:
Sean of the dead
Kung fu panda
Ratatouille
Horton hears a who

#1635 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,851 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

Horton hears a who and the Simpson's movie later today.

JSS

#1636 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

Don Jon (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (110.83dB composite)
Extension - 2 Stars (22Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (31.47dB)
Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.75 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

Notes:   Don Jon really surprised me.  Gary Rizzo did an excellent job with this mix, leaving very little on the table.  The most prominent bass takes place in the club scenes - hence the peaks at 25, 36 and 46Hz - but it's really good.  It's punchy and dynamic and generally used appropriately.  The film makes great use of effects and surrounds to really envelop the listener, and uses the surrounds in every scene you'd expect it.  This mix is better than a lot of big budget action flicks, to be honest.

This isn't a typical romcom - your gf/wife prolly won't like it.  I didn't care for the movie either, but the exceptional mix made it worthwhile.  This mix reminds me a LOT of the quality and clarity of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.  Besides the high -10dB point, it's hard to find any fault with this mix.

PvA:

Attached File  DJ-PvA- HighRes.PNG   80.86KB   2 downloads

#1637 tuxedocivic

tuxedocivic

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:48 PM

Thanks nube. I might buy wolverine based on this. Was on the fence, but it seems if you get a film without a filter its rare these days. It'll be a blind buy as I haven't seen it. But I've been a wolverine fan since I was a kid. And I've heard this one was quite good.

Finally got around to buying and watching this. I'm always way slower than you guys. The bass in this really was low and fairly well done too. The opening scene with the bomb was quite amazing. Unfortunately my system couldn't reproduce it well. There's just so much low bass that it struggled. That's a good sign! (Any chance of a scenecap on that explosion? Would be nice to see what my system was struggling with) The bass fit really nicely into the rest of the movie as well. No stupidly bassy effects put there just to impress (causing just the opposite). Other than the opening scene, the bass was "just there" exactly how I like it. Natural. Punchy when it should be. Rumbly when it should be. And deeeeeeeep.

The movie itself was only ok. Had some fun action. I think I'll enjoy it more a second time actually, but it had some storyline gimmicks and cheesy moments. Meh, what do I expect from a movie like this. I also wished it could have been more R rated. There were a few action scenes where I wanted to see Logan shred the bad guys into flesh ribbons. Instead, you just see the bad guy collapse into his claws just off screen with a dissapointing lack of blood.

#1638 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,851 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

Hey folks, 

Lots of new threads for the films we have to catch up on for ratings.  Please vote!

JSS

#1639 MemX

MemX

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:01 PM

Have the Lorax and Bolt been graphed? :)

#1640 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

tuxedocivic,

A few people over at AVS requested the same thing, so I graphed the ~50s of that explosion and added it to the measurements post for The Wolverine.  It's good, but the OHF Washington Monument scene destroys it in terms of intensity and extension.  Be careful with that scene!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users