The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Thanks bud.

The strange thing is.....if enough people see the 'headroom' they could instantly get to make their movies louder by reading these threads, we could be contributing to the demise of ELF/ULF in films.....let's hope that does not happen.  Ever.

JSS

Elysium (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (107.54dB composite)

Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.75dB)

Execution - 5 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 4.5 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

Notes:  Another great release for fans of bass in movies!  People who said Elysium was lacking for bass either have ported subs, terrible response that humps around 30-50Hz in their rooms, or they're deaf.  Or they lack a pulse.  Elysium is a monster, but it doesn't have any loud peaks above 22Hz, and the bass content levels are only average for an action film (about 5dB lower RMS than Oblivion, but with much better extension).  Elysium has an absolute truckload of content below 30Hz.  In fact, all the heaviest scenes are from 10-22Hz, but there's plenty from 5-10Hz, too.

The movie is only average at best, but the sound mix makes it exceptional.  Great use of surrounds with essentially no clipping outside of a couple of spaceship engine effects that seemed intentional.  This one's got the goods.   I'd say it needs a place in your library, and if its not loud enough or bassy enough, either turn it up or get better subs!

PvA:

attachicon.gifElysium-PvA-HighRes.PNG

Scenecap graphs (timestamps in the filenames): 

attachicon.gifElysium-0.17.30-0.17.52.PNG

attachicon.gifElysium-0.23.21-0.23.27.PNG

attachicon.gifElysium-0.55.59-0.56.26.PNG

attachicon.gifElysium-1.16.38-1.17.20.PNG

attachicon.gifElysium-1.18.38-1.19.01.PNG

attachicon.gifElysium-1.39.14-1.39.34 epic sweep.PNG

attachicon.gifElysium-1.40.36-1.41.35.PNG

Just got done with this one and WOW!! All kinds of rare things in the house rattling!! 

So what's the best way to have our voice heard? I've been occasionally posting that I won't buy certain titles (like The Hobbit) based soley on the high pass filter, but I don't think that really gets anywhere. Are we destined to just accept mediocre results and be pleasantly surprised when the results are good?

I suggested in the 2013 BMotY thread that we

... throw in for a classy "data-bass.com Bass Movie of the Year 2013" trophy to send to the sound studio? :D

At least that way they could have a little metal trophy on a nicely finished wood plinth with a plaque from us and might pay us a visit online! :D

Robocop - Remastered Director's Cut (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 1 Star (104.36dB composite)
Extension - 4 Stars (14.7Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.55dB)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.5 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

PvA:

post-17-0-47664300-1397587642_thumb.png

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 2 Stars (107.42dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)
Dynamics - 4 Stars (26.63dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.5 Stars

PvA:

post-17-0-70543200-1397588150_thumb.png

Minority Report (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (109.41dB composite)
Extension - 1 Star (29Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (34.42dB!!!)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.25 Stars

PvA:

post-17-0-23572900-1397588313_thumb.png

The Last Days On Mars (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 2 Stars (107.37dB composite)
Extension - 3 Stars (16Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.26dB)

Overall     - 3.25 Stars

PvA:

post-17-0-35063400-1397588477_thumb.png

Couple of comments:

It's amazing how big a difference between 28 days and weeks later there is.  One release in 2002, the other in 2007, one with better everything it seems.  It also looks like Sherlock 1 has better extension in terms of level, but cheats the 1 Hz rating, while Sherlock 2 has a fantastic overall, but not more centered around 40-50 Hz? Is that right?

• Like 1

Sherlock Holmes 1 would be a legitimate 5 star execution movie with its 8Hz hit, but the 2nd one has more content between 3-8Hz.  The biggest differences are the levels and dynamics, which makes the first sound like a significantly better and louder bass movie in most respects.

Knights of Badassdom (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (108.22dB composite)
Extension - 2 Stars (22Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.62dB)

Overall     - 3.25 Stars

PvA:

post-17-0-08499300-1397600472_thumb.png

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (7.1 TrueHD)

Level        - 4 Stars (111.86dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (3Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (32.25dB)

Execution - 5 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 4.75 Stars

Notes:  This one surprised me; I didn't remember it being this loud or low.  Yet, it really is.  Some harshness/clipping in places, but the numbers don't lie - this one's in the big leagues.  Shallow rolloff below the big peak at 30Hz, but there are significant effects below 20Hz that really add to the presentation. If you haven't watched this recently, it's worth revisiting if you can stand the so-so MI plot.

PvA:

post-17-0-73143000-1397615584_thumb.png

Any chance of trying some of the Bond movies, recently watched Goldeneye and there appears to be something wrong,completely wrong with the entire track and that includes the bass. Appears they may have used the master from the 1999 DVD. Bass is boomy and muddy. I believe Lowry or whoever did this has messed up on this popular Bond movie.

Top films,

Pierce Brosnan

Goldeneye

Tomorrow Never Dies

The World is Not Enough

Die Another Day

Timothy Dalton

The Living Daylights

Licence To Kill

Roger Moore

The Spy Who Loved Me

Moonraker

For Your Eyes Only

Octopussy

A View To A Kill

George Lazenby

On Her Majesty's Secret Service (Appears there could be some low end during the avalanche scene near the end as this had been filmed in stereo, the first Bond film to use the technology)

Sean Connery

Never Say Never Again

You Only Live Twice

Will be Interesting to see the measurements for the Brosnan movies, wonder if Lowry has  done a good job, Tomorrow Never Dies sounded explosive mostly in the mids.

Any chance of trying some of the Bond movies, recently watched Goldeneye and there appears to be something wrong,completely wrong with the entire track and that includes the bass. Appears they may have used the master from the 1999 DVD. Bass is boomy and muddy. I believe Lowry or whoever did this has messed up on this popular Bond movie.

I mentioned this a while back in this thread. It was terrible. As a big fan of this when it came out, rewatching it years later on a proper system was a major let down. I just blamed it on the era.

Yes! This one is fun. I liked the movie too (ya, some cheesy stuff). I asked MK theatre to do some measurements of the SUV crash into the river some time ago. It didn't have much ULF, but sure feels like it. Maybe Mk's setup wasn't quite tuned up right at the time. Good bass movie.

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (7.1 TrueHD)