Photo

The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

Bass Movies Bass Movie Measurements Deep Bass Movies Bass Waterfall Graphs Bass Graphs

• Please log in to reply
3820 replies to this topic

#1141 tuxedocivic

tuxedocivic

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

Bullet to the head was really fun. I'm not sure there's much <20hz but the bass was fun. The bass was in the action where it should be. The score was great to. I really enjoyed the movie. The plot was as thin as piss, but hey, I'm a sucker for Sly and for gritty action movies. This one has a lot of gun fire and I don't bore of that easily. Despite the thin plot there were still plenty of surprises, that usually came in the form of a bullet to the head. If someone caps it, I don't think we'll be wowed, but I wouldn't let all the bad reviews steer you away from this one if you're an action junky like me.

Wow, two movies in one weekend I really enjoyed I didn't think I would based on reviews. Maybe I have bad taste :D

#1142 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

I'll add Bullet to the Head to the queue.

JSS

#1143 FOH

FOH

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationCentral Indiana

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

Bosso, thanks for submitting the Phantom graphs, good stuff.  

You're spot on wrt the tension and effects associated with such flicks. Ever since I was a kid, and "Run Silent, Run Deep", I've loved these types of releases.

-----

Point of clarification;

I know Dave mics from his LP, impressively so, but these submitted graphs here aren't executed that way are they? We can't establish an archivied "data-base" of spectral content of releases and include the LF decay characteristics of any of our rooms. So I'd have to guess these are obtained electronically, as opposed to acoustically.    

Maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks

#1144 FOH

FOH

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

Bullet to the head was really fun. I'm not sure there's much <20hz but the bass was fun. The bass was in the action where it should be. The score was great to. I really enjoyed the movie. 

I felt the same way, killer score/genre of music.

We too are action junkies, but this one was just well done. Without the overly long/droning LF, just right I thought. But for me, the transitional use of the music from scene to scene was right up my alley.

We crave much more in depth character development, ala Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, Homeland, etc., but those are world class efforts in that regard. For us, with two teens, this is movie watching season right now. Prior to school resuming, we're pouring thru whatever we can voraciously. It's nice that we all dig similar stuff, and they're old enough to handle the mature/violent content that the primary system is tailored for. 

The kids missed Sopranos the first time thru, so we just began working our way thru the series.  

Looking forward to Phantom, when possible.   

#1145 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

A personal favorite of mine:

Attack the Block:

Level - 3 Stars (109.29dB composite)

Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (31.32dB!!!)

Execution - 5 Stars from me, will poll.  This film has some soft limiting in place, not nearly as hard as the limiting in Immortals.  But the Dynamics, innovative storyline, and just a good have fun and laugh film.  Think 'Goonies in South London'....

Overall - 4.5 Stars, but may change with Polling.

Recommendation - BUY.  I love this film.

JSS

Attached Files

• Attached File  ATB.jpg   100.76KB   18 downloads

#1146 tuxedocivic

tuxedocivic

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

I think they're captured at the line level FOH.

#1147 club968

club968

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:57 PM

Phantom definitely had some low frequency punch.  The scene at around 1:24.00 definitely had the room shaking.  I loved the way the low frequency and surrounds really draw you into the movie.  The movie itself I thought was also very good.  I'm surprised I never heard of it before.

Bullet to the head definitely has some infrasonic moments, to the teens I would say for sure.  The movie itself was your typical Stallone film.  Lots of fun but not much substance.

#1148 FOH

FOH

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

I think they're captured at the line level FOH.

I'm sure they are too, merely responding to Nube's comments.

Thanks

#1149 Ricci

Ricci

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

Dave,

What program are you using to generate images which have measurements from various images overlaid? I know it is Mac based but I'm hoping I can find something similar for windows.

#1150 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

Guys, the reason I'm thinking the graphs Dave produces are not line level, but, instead, from the mic'd response at his LP, is because he's repeatedly said this:

Remember, I mic at the LP and my system is -3dB @ 4 Hz, so there's prob lower stuff I'm not playing back.

With that sort of response, it likely doesn't matter much, but I guess it depends on a variety of other factors.  I thought there was  a pretty decent amount of ULF in AGDTDH based on my digital SL caps direct from the disc.  Reasonable minds can disagree.  :)

#1151 Bossobass Dave

Bossobass Dave

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

Guys, the reason I'm thinking the graphs Dave produces are not line level, but, instead, from the mic'd response at his LP, is because he's repeatedly said this:

With that sort of response, it likely doesn't matter much, but I guess it depends on a variety of other factors.  I thought there was  a pretty decent amount of ULF in AGDTDH based on my digital SL caps direct from the disc.  Reasonable minds can disagree.  :)

I only post mic'd speclab graphs.

In the past, I've posted comparisons of the mic'd version vs the line level version off the player or AVR, but that has been only to confirm the accuracy of mic'ing my system.

Here are examples, done at different times over the years, of HTTYD, HULK and BHD "Irene!", of which I did a THD analysis from the differences in spectral content:

b8873df741fdf7c21a676b67168c69b1.png

a9ac9278689c9cbc3b54f8aea1c6616b.png

6b466e685e48345b32bbf8190dc53f47.png

ddf21a70ca8fcc0d799da41a2390b9e4.png

The differences are so slight as to be irrelevant for general posting, so I use the mic to save the hassle of disconnecting the sub system and running the SW out to the mic interface.

#1152 Bossobass Dave

Bossobass Dave

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

Dave,

What program are you using to generate images which have measurements from various images overlaid? I know it is Mac based but I'm hoping I can find something similar for windows.

I use Omnigraffle. Unfortunately, the graphs are not overlaid. I pop the graphs into Omni, scale them by stretching horizontally and vertically until they are identical, then create a line with enough data points and lay it on a trace and manipulate the data points until the trace is identically mimicked. I then drag the created trace onto the other graph for comparison.

If it sounds tedious, that's because it is. I'm just so familiar with Omni from creating all of the graphics for my business, sites, etc. over the years, that it's just another graphic to me.

Sorry, I know nothing about W apps. You might ping LTD because I've seen him do similar work and I know he uses W.

#1153 FOH

FOH

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

I only post mic'd speclab graphs.

Gotcha, and stand corrected.

I'm not concerned with your system electronics or transducers ... at either end, as your attention to detail, signal path fastidiousness, etc, is solid. I'm sure those elements aren't of concern.

#1154 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:44 PM

Looks like A Good Day to Die hard is stuck between 4 Stars and 3 Stars (??) and a solid RENT.  Whoever hasn't voted, cast your ballot!

JSS

#1155 Ricci

Ricci

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

Damn...That sounds tedious Dave. Not really worth it for what I'm attempting. Back to the drawing board.

#1156 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

A Good Day to Die Hard is 4 Stars and RENT.  Will update and post up a new poll (Jack the Giant Slayer) today.

JSS

#1157 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:29 PM

GI Joe: Retaliation tonight.

JSS

#1158 FOH

FOH

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:24 PM

It's not said often enough, max, nube, bosso, MK, et al, as always the effort is greatly appreciated.   

All the best

#1159 Bossobass Dave

Bossobass Dave

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:57 PM

GI Joe: Retaliation

GIJ-RTitleBlock_zps81504dbf.JPG

GIJoe-RPVA_zps496303e5.JPG

GIJoe1.jpg

GIJoe2.jpg

GIJoe3.jpg

See the next post for measurements. This one is filtered. Looks to be 15 Hz, 2nd order.

Even with that, the extreme low end blip at the end (see the last speclab cap) still got through, so imagine what level it was at before the filter was applied. Also, my system rolls off starting at 4 Hz, and it still shows up all the way down to 2 Hz!! That may have been why they applied a filter to the whole ST?

Overall a pretty boring action yarn for me. The ST is also unremarkable, YMMV.

#1160 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:49 PM

Bosso/FOH,

Check your PMs.

GI Joe: Retaliation - it is a tremendously well produced track from a technical standpoint.  No clipping found in any channel.

Here are the numbers:

Level - 4 Stars (110.49dB composite)

Extension - 4 Stars (13Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.13dB)

Execution - By Poll - My vote is 3-4 Stars.  5 years ago, this would have been near 5 Stars, but comparison to WotW, B:LA, TIH and others reveals this is not so.  Also the film is bad (I simply cannot suspend disbelief when the President of the United States says 'the G.I. Joes'), the sound is good, but not great.

Overall - TBA

Recommendation - By Poll

PvA attached.  I did not find a large burst down low like you did (I modified the offset to show colors similar to yours).  Everything is subject to the highpass according to my measurement.  This was a BD from Redbox.

Sorry for the delay, ISP troubles....

JSS

Attached Files

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)